Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Months on CPAP, still tired despite Dr saying my apnea is controlled
RE: 3 Months on CPAP, still tired despite Dr saying my apnea is controlled
I'm glad to hear you'll be seeing the sleep doctor on Feb 2. Here are some ideas about what to tell him:

1. You do not feel more rested, despite a low AHI.

2. This: "It's worth noting that I did have lung surgery last year which has unfortunately left me with what the respirologist calls a "mild restriction" so even during the day time it isn't always easy breathing for me. I don't have COPD or anything, it's more just a result of the nature of the surgery and the intentional chest wall scarring.My lung capacity is lower than it should be."

3. A printout of a chart showing the extent of flow limitations, plus a zoomed-in view showing the flattened tops of your inspiratory flow-rate curves.

4. If possible: data from a recording oximeter. You'd need to get hold of one quickly to generate a few nights of data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2022, 11:48 AM)Dormeo Wrote: I'm glad to hear you'll be seeing the sleep doctor on Feb 2.  Here are some ideas about what to tell him:

1.  You do not feel more rested, despite a low AHI.

2.  This:  "It's worth noting that I did have lung surgery last year which has unfortunately left me with what the respirologist calls a "mild restriction" so even during the day time it isn't always easy breathing for me. I don't have COPD or anything, it's more just a result of the nature of the surgery and the intentional chest wall scarring.My lung capacity is lower than it should be."

3.  A printout of a chart showing the extent of flow limitations, plus a zoomed-in view showing the flattened tops of your inspiratory flow-rate curves.

4.  If possible:  data from a recording oximeter.  You'd need to get hold of one quickly to generate a few nights of data.

Just saw this reply, thank you! That was really helpful and I'm hoping he is willing.. I mean he wasn't too hesitant to prescribe Modafinil before we even tried to get the PAP therapy working better lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Well.. it's official that the sleep doctor is useless. After telling him about my lung history and the flow limitations that I can see HE SAYS THAT MAYBE WE SHOULD DROP THE PRESSURE BY ONE CM. I told him that I've tried upping the pressure and it doesn't fix my flow limitations, plus it makes it harder to exhale for me. He said yes so maybe we drop it back down to 7cm again because I think at 9 during the titration study it made your apneas worse.. I said no, you told me 8 last time which was wrong because the sleep technician told me in the morning that he had to go 11cm before my apnea events were cleared. So he insisted that we try 11 with CPAP for a month, completely ignored me bringing up the BiPAP and the fact that I've been using 11cm it hasn't fixed the flow limitation PLUS it makes me burp a lot, most likely because EPAP of 8 is too much for me

My question is: Someone is selling a ResMed Aircurve 10S near me. Is that one good compared to the V-Auto?
Post Reply Post Reply
My preference is for the VAuto which has an auto mode, but it also has an "S" mode. The difference is similar to the difference between your elite and the AutoSet. Yes we can work with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
To amplify, the 10 S can provide greater pressure support than the 3 you get now with EPR, but it does this via an unvarying IPAP and an unvarying EPAP. So it's analogous in that way to your current machine.

Please ask to see the run hours on the machine for sale. I believe you can find them by going into the clinician menu.

I am incredibly disappointed to hear what happened with the sleep doctor. That's just plain wrong, and you deserve better, as indeed anyone would.

One piece of advice I'd continue to give: get a recording oximeter that is compatible with Oscar so you can see what is happening with your O2 levels during the night (and during the day, for that matter). If all is well, great. If it isn't, then you'd want to talk with a pulmonologist. (If need be, the A10 can be used to deliver supplementary oxygen during the night.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the replies. I am getting the seller to send me a photo of the Hours Used before I go any further with that.

I am seeking a second opinion from another sleep doctor but I'm not holding my breath. At this point I'd basically rather shell out the money myself for a BiPAP with everything I've read about UARS and flow limitations after coming onto these forums. I'll probably end up having to wait months for an appointment and may not even find someone who is cooperative on first try.
Post Reply Post Reply
When optimized for pressure support the VPAP-S is a very good machine with all the features of the Vauto except automatic pressure adjustment. You still get all the trigger and cycle sensitivity, Ti Min/Ti Max and Easybreathe™. Great machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't expect second opinion to be any different, most doctors don't treat flow limitations with bilevel.

To me considering the S all comes down to price. If the price of S is good then grab it, give it a try and if its limitations don't allow ideal results then resell it and get a vauto. The S does nearly everything the vauto will do except raise the pressure when you have flow limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2022, 05:07 PM)Dormeo Wrote: To amplify, the 10 S can provide greater pressure support than the 3 you get now with EPR, but it does this via an unvarying IPAP and an unvarying EPAP.  So it's analogous in that way to your current machine.

Please ask to see the run hours on the machine for sale.  I believe you can find them by going into the clinician menu.  

I am incredibly disappointed to hear what happened with the sleep doctor.  That's just plain wrong, and you deserve better, as indeed anyone would.

One piece of advice I'd continue to give: get a recording oximeter that is compatible with Oscar so you can see what is happening with your O2 levels during the night (and during the day, for that matter).  If all is well, great.  If it isn't, then you'd want to talk with a pulmonologist.  (If need be, the A10 can be used to deliver supplementary oxygen during the night.)

The used machine has been used 5600 hours since January 2020 so now I’m a little hesitant. Two years of usage

I’m finally going to get my copies of the sleep studies from my GP but I was wondering about a couple things. We are talking about what seems to be UARS here based on the flow limitations correct? Also, would it make sense for me to collect a bit of OSCAR data at a higher pressure setting to see how my flow rate looks? I’m thinking 30 mins while I’m relaxing or something. 

I don’t even remember if I mentioned this earlier or not but I am 35M, 6’3 and 148lbs which is the typical build for UARS from what I’ve learned.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2022, 03:08 PM)highwaystar86 Wrote:  Also, would it make sense for me to collect a bit of OSCAR data at a higher pressure setting to see how my flow rate looks?
EVERY detailed, zoomed chart you have posted has shown us a very highly flow limited breathing that is indicating difficulty breathing and making you feel like **** most of the time.  And you have the best of the best looking at it here and offering advice based on that data.

IMHO get a BiLevel.  You need it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 126 Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 223 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 263 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 471 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 846 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 289 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.