Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Nights in................
3 Nights in................
OK, so 3 nights in and here is what I'm feeling:

I am finally getting to sleep faster then the first night when it took me 3 hours to fall asleep. Smile

I am NOT feeling the energy I've read, been told and heard people get once they begin CPAP therapy. Unsure

I am feeling bloated and gassy with CPAP and apparently swallowing the air! Oh-jeez

Thoughts, Help and Comments appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 3 Nights in................
Install the Sleepyhead software. Share some screen shots of your nights therapy session. Then we can get an idea of what is causing your problems. There may be more settings involved in your therapy than just a straight 8 cm H20 pressure. You may have a much higher max setting causing you to swallow air. We would really like to help but we need more data.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
With regards to the Sleepyhead software, I didn't even know what it is, however, went to install it and my MAC isn't allowing me to open the download. Have to get my computer tech (hubby) to help me with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 07:46 AM)richb Wrote: Install the Sleepyhead software. Share some screen shots of your nights therapy session. Then we can get an idea of what is causing your problems. There may be more settings involved in your therapy than just a straight 8 cm H20 pressure. You may have a much higher max setting causing you to swallow air. We would really like to help but we need more data.

Rich

OK, hubby downloaded the Sleepyhead software. There is a ton of info that's still sort of greek to me. Which screen shots would help? I do see where my mask is leaking so that's good to know!
Post Reply Post Reply
SylviaT,
As a new member, you can send an attachment, but it will be limited in size. See link for help.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.ph...elp&hid=19

Once you have 8 posts, you can use an outside source like imgur to upload your data. Some helpful links:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

Also, here is a helpful guide to understand Sleepyhead:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 09:00 AM)SylviaT Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 07:46 AM)richb Wrote: Install the Sleepyhead software. Share some screen shots of your nights therapy session. Then we can get an idea of what is causing your problems. There may be more settings involved in your therapy than just a straight 8 cm H20 pressure. You may have a much higher max setting causing you to swallow air. We would really like to help but we need more data.

Rich

OK, hubby downloaded the Sleepyhead software. There is a ton of info that's still sort of greek to me. Which screen shots would help? I do see where my mask is leaking so that's good to know!

For starters, look for flagged events in the topmost graph in the Sleepyhead display for a particular night. Then highlight a 10 minute section around the event. You will get a feel for what is happening around an event. Also look at the Sleepyhead display for your settings. Then look at the pressure and flow graphs to see how your machine responds to your needs. Do as much reading as you can (check out OpalRose's suggestions) about what Sleepyhead is showing you then begin posting screen shots of the entire night and various 10 minute sections when you have questions. The more you know the better you can take charge of your own therapy.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sylvia. That's great news that you're getting to sleep more quickly. I started CPAP therapy last winter at a pressure of 7.0 cm and also had a problem swallowing air at first.

This happens to lots of people when they first start therapy. I think it only happened to me for the first 4 nights or so, with decreasing severity each night.

If I woke up at night feeling like I'd swallowed air, I'd get up and walk around for a while and drink something fizzy.

Meds that neutralize abdominal gas would work too, I'm sure.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sylvia
Welcome
I see the team here in the forum is getting you set up for some data analysis to help you find the "sweet pot settings for you therapy.

Be patient and give it some time. The time it takes to see benefits of therapy is dependent on something called comorbidities (what else ails you) disease, age, obesity, stress, reactions to the equipment, phobias, allergies. etc.

There are those in this forum that will tell you they saw immediate relief to some of their symptoms.

I actually felt worse of for fist 6 weeks.
I am now in my 6th month of therapy and I am glad I did not quit while I was in Tartarus

Never surrender Never give up

You can do this

(06-04-2016, 07:31 AM)SylviaT Wrote: OK, so 3 nights in and here is what I'm feeling:

I am finally getting to sleep faster then the first night when it took me 3 hours to fall asleep. Smile

I am NOT feeling the energy I've read, been told and heard people get once they begin CPAP therapy. Unsure

I am feeling bloated and gassy with CPAP and apparently swallowing the air! Oh-jeez

Thoughts, Help and Comments appreciated!

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm about a month in, and I understand just what you are saying. HANG IN THERE! It does get better.

I was in complete denial about having apnea, but the first night of my study, I was clocked at an AHI of 43. So safe to say I do. But I slept like, uh, well that first night was terrible. They decided that I needed a second night to "titrate bipap" which meant nothing to me. I went home after the second night feeling kinda OK but expecting to take a nap, as usual. But as the day wore on I realized that I felt pretty darn good, in fact that had been the best I had slept for decades. I was an extremely impatient patient waiting two weeks for my equipment to be available.

The first night I had my own machine I really expected my world to change, but no dice. My AHI the first night was over 8, and I really needed a nap that afternoon. I messed with the humidity settings on my machine, but am holding off changing my pressures until after my follow up with my doctor. My numbers have dropped week by week, but a very good night will often be followed by a very crappy night. And although I have yet to wake up in the morning ready to conquer the world, I do feel a lot more energetic. And I have stopped taking naps altogether. My cardiologist had already made me give up caffeine - no coffee or tea. At least I still have chocolate!

Unfortunately I have also essentially stopped drinking alcohol as well. I was not a big drinker anyway: I like a glass of wine in the evening - maybe 5 or so times a week. But monitoring my progress with SleepyHead has made it very clear that if I do drink any alcohol after dinner, it shows up in my CA events. I have central apnea - no real obstructive events at all, unless my allergies are acting up. Since my primary issue is not initiating breathing, it is not too surprising that depressants make that even worse.

Anyway, the last few nights I have finally seen numbers below 1.0! But, of course, last night was 4.29. Oh well. But I'm sure I'll get back below 1 in the next night or two, and my weekly average continues to decline.

If you read all the way to here I'd just like to repeat that you will see progress. There may have to be changes in how you set your machine, or in some of your favorite habits, but I'm sure you'll get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
its kinda funny when someone posts something and I am like oh thank god its not just me so this must be normal,thank god for the forum and the great people on it
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 452 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 582 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 451 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 372 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.