Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting Discovery
Interesting Discovery
I have ResMed Quattro Air, Swift fx Nano nasal mask as well as the nasal pillows. When I lie down with my oximeter on my finger awake I notice that my Oxygen level is lower using the full face Quattro Air rather than the nasal mask. When I wear the nasal mask my O2 levels jump up from 95 to 98%. My problem with it was mouth breathing but I bought a PapCap chin strap and it seems to work well. We shall see as I am returning to the nasal mask tonight as I was fighting leaks last night with the Quattro Air even with a liner and chin strap. The nasal mask leaks less and seems to deliver more O2 so lets see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting Discovery
You aren't getting more oxygen delivery, but you are perhaps having less apnea or hypopnea events which results in a higher oxygen level.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 12:15 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You aren't getting more oxygen delivery, but you are perhaps having less apnea or hypopnea events which results in a higher oxygen level.

No, because I'm checking these levels while I'm awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you changing the mask type setting when you change between mask types?

Full Face Masks have a higher intentional leak rate (mask vent) than nasal interface, so if you aren't changing the mask type setting so the machine can compensate, then you might be getting a higher therapy pressure delivered via the nasal interface. Higher therapy pressure could be triggering more vigorous respiration.

That's the only thing I can think of.

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. I do change mask settings. The Nasal Nano states to use the pillows setting for the nasal mask. I guess last night was just one of those princess and the pea nights. Started out with Nano Nasal and woke up with a frowny face and rainout because I had not let the hose dry well enough after washing it. I switched to Quattro Air, dialed back the humidity and fought leaks and farts for a while and then switched to Quattro FX which was a For Her medium which is really too small for me. Then I got exasperated and switched to the pillows. I woke up from the pillows with mouth puffs and changed my chin strap to my PapCap head restraint
and finally got to sleep again. Some nights are just destined to be hellish. We had half a foot of snow as well. But I look at it this way: a bad night with the equipment is better than a bad night waking up and gasping for air without equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, there are easier explanations for the phenomenon. Consider how you breath when breathing through a nasal devices as opposed to mouth breathing - the likelihood that you would take deeper breaths is high, and that would increase your oxygen load. Except when under exertion, we tend to take slightly shallower breaths through our mouths when supine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 365 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,303 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Interesting situation (financial) Broomstick 7 1,265 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: farnsy
  New machine interesting problem britincanada 2 1,227 05-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Last Post: ajack
  Interesting DME Experience sansnap 11 2,334 01-21-2019, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Interesting Pro Publica Article ShoshTrvls 7 1,493 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: ShoshTrvls
  [Pressure] Pressure increase after interesting flow rates MisterM 1 1,156 03-17-2018, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.