Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 graphs that are saving my life
3 graphs that are saving my life
History:
I have been on my APAP faithfully for 8 months now and struggling for 7 1/2 of those months. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea with 0 centrals. Prescribed a ResMed S10, pressure 4-16, EPR=off, mask of my choice, and no access to settings. The only results I had access to was MyAir.

After joining this forum, I learned a lot about how PAP machines work and how to adjust them. After 7 1/2 months, of trial and error, I think I have things figured out. The most important thing I learned was, we are all different, and what works for one, doesn't work for all. That, and, you must try everything at least once and have a lot of patience.

I took great pains to graph all the data produced from SleepyHead and here are the three graphs that I thought to be the most important. (To me anyway) I am including the graphs for 3 days. My first month (March), last month (October), and this month (November).

http://imgur.com/a/uMbAH

Graph #1: 90% Pressure -
This is the one metric that has stayed constant over the last 8 months. No matter what changes I made, it seemed to remain in a narrow range. Using the trend line as my measuring tool, the range was 8.0 to 8.5. So from what I have learned from this forum, setting my maximum to 10 is as good of a starting point as any.

Graph #2: Total time in Apnea -
99% of all my Apneas are CAs which are mostly SWJ. They still cause my O2 levels to drop, and wake me up, so I figure they have to go also. I figure in an 8 hour night, 8 one minute apneas are worse than 8 ten second apneas. Both have an AHI of 1.00. As long as this is going in the right direction, all is well.

Graph #3: Comfort level (not pictured)
This is the most important graph of all and is impossible to graph. It includes Mask type, Mask size, Brand name, Mask fit, EPR, Humidity, Ramp, Bed, Bed pillows, and etc. All the little things that make a good night sleep attainable. I left leaks out as that is a function of the mask choices.

I think I have my comfort settings where they need to be and here's why.
Ramp off - My required pressure is low enough that I get used to the mask within the first few seconds of putting on the mask.
Humidity at 3 or 4 - most comfortable
EPR - I tried all settings, off and 3 are just a wee bit uncomfortable although I could get used to either if need be. One and two are comfortable but two is most comfortable and seems to cut down on periodic breathing with CAs late into the night.
Medium pillow - seems to fit best with fewest leaks while the large allows more air in (and out) but will leak more, especially when turning over. I also think the medium works in conjunction with the EPR=2 to make the right combination.
Pressure - Set from 6 to 10. Six is as low as I can go with EPR at 2. And, 10 is 2 above my 90% mark.

Notice, I did not mention the AHI graph. I think this graph is only good for bragging rights. It will follow the time in Apnea very closely.

This is not meant to be a success story (yet). It has become my new starting point from where I will START making minor adjustments if adjustments become warranted.

This is my story and I am sticking to it, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Thanks
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 3 graphs that are saving my life
Smile good start.

I'm pretty good with my settings now. Have some good nights and some not so good nights. I'm doing a Steve Winwood and just roll[ing] with it, baby.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
For me also, time in apnea was more telling than AHI.
Especially when I was having events with durations of 40 seconds or more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rcgop,
It's GREAT to hear that you are doing so well with your CPAP therapy, CONGRATULATIONS!, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
We are all different is right! My FIL got APAP and changed humidity settings twice and has never changed anything since. Sleeps like a baby, doing better every day.

Me on the other hand fought every thing, was sensitive to everything, changed everything- with lots of help from here. Doing fine now, still get up a lot of times during the night, but right back to sleep and rested in the morning-I can deal with this without a problem.

Never accept default, unless of course you are the default CPAPer
Good luck and keep us updated
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] What Do My Graphs Mean? | OSCAR TiredTim 39 2,113 04-06-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 203 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 290 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,237 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 453 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,290 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 472 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.