Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 months with CPAP and still choking (charts included)
RE: 3 months with CPAP and still choking (charts included)
This I believe may be your choking event,  Not sure of the cause but a good possibility of being the event.

See my notes in the pic.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2020, 02:24 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Thanks, earthless.  In each of those zoomed-in views, I think I'm seeing some arousal breathing, followed by one or two events, followed by a resumption of regular breathing that is typical of sleep.  

You mentioned you felt you almost choked to death; do you think you were awake for a while after that?  If so, I'm wondering whether the choking feeling happened at some other time during the night.

Yes. Although I don't remember it most of the time I have sudden awakenings at night and then go back to sleep as if nothing happened.

I remember one of the episodes when I started to choke and felt that I had to run for some water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2020, 03:12 PM)bonjour Wrote: This I believe may be your choking event,  Not sure of the cause but a good possibility of being the event.

See my notes in the pic.

This might be it.
I noticed choking incidents happen soon after I fall asleep.
Considering that I go to bed at 2 PM followed by an hour of torture with CPAP device it matches perfectly.
Post Reply Post Reply
my wife frequently chokes and coughs a fit. lifelong. partly chronic post nasal drip & last 10 years or so partly snoring & developing oa. mostly she's unaware of it in sleep, fully waking maybe 20% of the time (to make up a number), but it is clearly disturbing her sleep. staying off her back &/or keeping her mouth closed help but it's a constant battle. also, elevating the head of the bed & wearing a soft cervical collar did too (but no surprise, now she won't use the collar).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2020, 04:20 PM)sheepless Wrote: my wife frequently chokes and coughs a fit. lifelong. partly chronic post nasal drip & last 10 years or so partly snoring & developing oa. mostly she's unaware of it in sleep, fully waking maybe 20% of the time (to make up a number), but it is clearly disturbing her sleep. staying off her back &/or keeping her mouth closed help but it's a constant battle. also, elevating the head of the bed & wearing a soft cervical collar did too (but no surprise, now she won't use the collar).

That's what I'm really afraid of.
I don't want it to be lifelong as I'm sure it will cause long-term damage to the brain.

I already have memory issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
she's 66 & sharp as ever. no sign of brain damage! :-) for her it's just an annoying inconvenience. worst effect is probably the few mostly partial arousals at night. no question in my mind apnea is far more detrimental to cognitive ability.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2020, 01:22 PM)sheepless Wrote: she's 66 & sharp as ever.  no sign of brain damage! :-)  for her it's just an annoying inconvenience. worst effect is probably the few mostly partial arousals at night. no question in my mind apnea is far more detrimental to cognitive ability.

That's great to hear.
I was talking about impairment of some cognitive abilities.

Maybe I'm just exaggerating but I feel "slower" nowadays than I used to be and memory gone to sh*t.
It could be aging but I doubt it is considering I'm in my early 30s.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, I agree that your age should not be a factor contributing to feeling slower & having memory problems.

otoh, sleep deprivation is a big factor.

of course idk your situation but the point I was trying to make is that my wife's 60 odd years of frequent choking & coughing hasn't obviously affected her beyond being annoying.

I surmise, with no particular knowledge to support this, that you would have to be choking much much much more for it to cause such problems & even then I can't imagine the choking goes on long enough to cause desats.

otoh, waking every hour from any cause can make you feel sleep deprived.

again, decongestants, elevating the head of the bed, wearing a soft cervical collar & adjusting machine humidity are a few things to try.

good luck & let us know how you fare.

edited to stay out of trouble: to clarify that the choking is annoying, not that choking makes my wife annoying! :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a need to have another visit to sleep doctor?
I want to be certain that my problem isn't related to sleep apnea and caused by something like acid reflux or else.
Post Reply Post Reply
To check on silent reflux, you will need to see your regular doctor, who may refer you to an ENT. Be sure to mention the nighttime choking sensation.

Do you stay upright for at least three hours after eating? If the fix were that easy, wouldn’t it be nice? You might give it a try for a week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 179 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 485 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.