Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 nights on APAP, I want to sleep all the time
3 nights on APAP, I want to sleep all the time
Hi everyone! I feel very lucky to have found this board the same day I got my machine (AirSense 10 AutoSet) on Thursday. I downloaded Sleepyhead as soon as I read the posts here about it, so I've had that tool at my disposal from the start.

My insurance paid for a home sleep test, then a "trial" with the machine I'm using now. So I'm not sure what my initial AHI was (I have a followup appointment in a few weeks). But these first few nights have gone well despite having an annoying dry cough leftover from a respiratory bug. Wink AHI was 0.11 the first night, 0.44 the second, and 0.1 last night. The last two nights I've been so comfy with the machine, I woke up a couple of times fearing I'd accidentally turned it off in my sleep! (I hadn't.)

My question is: Is it normal to feel more sleepy when first starting treatment? I feel like I want to sleep all.the.time because honestly, I'm already sleeping so much better! I understand that years of awful sleep will take some time to correct, but I'm actually looking forward to bedtime now...but also look forward to a decrease in daytime sleepiness, of course.

I appreciate all the great advice I've already seen on the board. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 3 nights on APAP, I want to sleep all the time
the first week I was on cpap, all I wanted to do was crawl back in bed and sleep some more. you have been sleep deprived for a while... give yourself some time to catch up Smile

Get your sleep study results with the analysis and not just a summary when u see your doc. Get a copy of the prescription when it is written also...
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 10:22 PM)zeemochan Wrote: But these first few nights have gone well despite having an annoying dry cough leftover from a respiratory bug. Wink AHI was 0.11 the first night, 0.44 the second, and 0.1 last night. The last two nights I've been so comfy with the machine, I woke up a couple of times fearing I'd accidentally turned it off in my sleep! (I hadn't.)
Congrats, excellent results, touch wood

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, DariaVader, it's good to hear someone else felt the same way. Wink Thanks for the advice on my doctor's visit, too. I'm putting a note in my phone so I won't forget those items.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi zeemochan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a good start.
It’ll take a while to get caught up on your sleep, keep up the good work.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REM_rebound
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard Zeemochan! Glad to hear you are off to a good start!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 10:22 PM)zeemochan Wrote: Hi everyone! I feel very lucky to have found this board the same day I got my machine (AirSense 10 AutoSet) on Thursday. I downloaded Sleepyhead as soon as I read the posts here about it, so I've had that tool at my disposal from the start.

My insurance paid for a home sleep test, then a "trial" with the machine I'm using now. So I'm not sure what my initial AHI was (I have a followup appointment in a few weeks). But these first few nights have gone well despite having an annoying dry cough leftover from a respiratory bug. Wink AHI was 0.11 the first night, 0.44 the second, and 0.1 last night. The last two nights I've been so comfy with the machine, I woke up a couple of times fearing I'd accidentally turned it off in my sleep! (I hadn't.)

My question is: Is it normal to feel more sleepy when first starting treatment? I feel like I want to sleep all.the.time because honestly, I'm already sleeping so much better! I understand that years of awful sleep will take some time to correct, but I'm actually looking forward to bedtime now...but also look forward to a decrease in daytime sleepiness, of course.

I appreciate all the great advice I've already seen on the board. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Smile

Glad to hear that things are working well for you. I will admit that sleeping with CPAP therapy that is working well can be addictive. In fact, I find myself going to bed earlier now because I'm just ready to be "hooked up" and rest. Smile

There is also a slight probability that some of the comfort settings need to be optimized, but I would say for now just enjoy your AHI's being <1. Continue educating yourself and make small changes here and there, perhaps with the temperature / humidity, as you get more comfortable with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started, I found myself sleeping 9 and 10 hours. I just couldn't seem to get out of bed! Sleep-on-pillow
I thought something was wrong with me, because I went from getting 2 to 3 hours of sleep a night before Cpap to 9. Now I've settled into a nice pattern, around 7 hours a night, and I feel really good during the day.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings,

I also wanted to sleep A LOT when I first starting my APAP. It has settled down, about 1 yr post Sleep study, to around 8-9 hrs/night - but then I had a head injury about 12 yrs ago, so I tend to need more sleep.

Your body needs to repair itself and this does take time.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 201 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.