Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hip pain when waking up?
Hip pain when waking up?
It seems that with CPAP therapy, when I'm asleep, I'm not moving. The downside: I'm finding I'm waking up in the night and morning with hip pain. This wasn't an issue before CPAP therapy, so I'm assuming it's caused by staying in one position, whereas before I was having restless sleep and moving a lot. The pain subsides once I get out of bed, so it seems to be related to lack of movement.

I am a side sleeper. Frequently, moving (slowly, as I'm making a point of trying to keep the mask on and get back to sleep, I'm only lightly awake, and I don't want to move around a lot which could cause me to become more fully awake and have a harder time falling asleep again) doesn't seem to give me any relief. It doesn't seem like it's a problem of finding the magic position that will work.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hip pain when waking up?
Yes I noticed this too and came to the conclusion it was because I don't change positions as much as I used to because I'm no longer wrestling a gorilla all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the age and firmness of your mattress? If you are a side sleeper, then a between-the-knees type of pillow may help align the spine.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to move around a lot during the night. One thing that really helped is using a hose hook which keeps the hose overhead. Never have had a problem with the mask or the hose when I roll side to side which I do a lot. Not sure this would help or maybe you already have something like this.

[Image: uZNzX6c.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
We’re coming up on 7 years for the mattress. It is still fairly firm.

The pain seems to be fairly sharp and towards the outside of the thigh.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Red suggested, a between knee pillow may be helpful. I had hip pain when sleeping on the right and left side and started sleeping on my back which I didn’t like. Once I got that pillow it was like night and day. No more hip pain!
Post Reply Post Reply
This pillow between the knees sounds promising and easy to try. Any particular thickness / firmness of pillow that I should use?

Last night I made a point of trying to remember to roll over every time I woke up to try to reduce the time spent in one position. It was better, although I woke with some pain. I will look into getting a hose hook so I don't have to think as hard about hose position when I roll over.

With just one day of data, I noticed my CA events went from specific clusters when I was going to sleep to being more even throughout the night, which is new for me, and AHI was 5.6. (for reference, if I sleep through the night without getting up, I'm usually looking at 3.x - 4.x, but when I'm getting up in the night, i usually see 5-10.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased mine online. It is called “ Contour Legacy Leg & Knee Foam Support Pillow - Soothing Pain Relief for Sciatica, Back, Hips, Knees, Joints”.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 101 35 minutes ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 287 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.