Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dewberry Therapy Thread: Autoset 11 to Aircurve 10 ASV
RE: 3 weeks in and struggling
In the clinical menu, don't forget to validate the change by pressing the radio nob.

Sorry, Airsense 11.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good Morning, it is here anyway.
The numbers are a little better last night.
In the clusters at 0200 and 0730, I had rolled partially onto my back and was tolerating the 3 tennis balls in 
my back. Got uncomfortable enough to finally wake me , to me it was just another ache, the joys of chronic pain.
My kidney belt wont be here till the 16th, so I will have to use the balls in the sock method till then.
I don't know why it shows 4, I had changed it just before I went to bed.
I am seriously thinking of changing to a pillow mask, thinking of an N20. I do get quite a few leaks at night that don't show 
on Oscar. I wake up to air hissing from the side of the mask, move a bit and adjust it.
I keep practicing the tongue against the roof of the mouth, maybe it is starting to help.

I do have a deviated septum so I don't know how much that could be affecting things.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, maybe a chink of daylight not far off.

Pillows masks can seal very well. I have a Breveda which for me is pretty good. I think you will find the N20 (Air fit) is a nasal mask, not a pillows mask. 

Choosing a mask is a vital and complicated business to get it right. 

Maybe a good idea to look at YouTube reviews on masks, "Lanky Lefty" is pretty good. Lots on practical info available. 

I have had 5 or 6 different masks, including the N20. I was troubled with all of them with the blast of air from the exhalation ports. Now I have an F&P Breveda with a diffuser, which mufflers effectively this problem. There are lots of different options I think, so  careful research is really important. Again look at other peoples experiences on the forum. Useful "mask primer" on the board's wiki pages. A must. 

My Breveda has prongs that give a really excellent seal, but a again a matter of personal preference. 

I am a terrible mouth leaker so I have to use Cover Roll tape. Pretty good result for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am very lucky I found a clinic that will let me try out various masks.

I tried every full face that I could find as reports said they are the best at sealing.
I sure don't find that to be true, I hate shaving, I had to be clean-shaven for work, 
we had to put gas masks on occasion H2S, I swore that when I retired I would only shave once a week.
If I don't stay mostly clean-shaven, the mask leaks after 2nd day.

I will see if I can try a Breveda if they have one. I am definitely going to be trying different ones.
I have what some would call a boxer's nose, it has been broken a few times, finally got it repaired in my late twenties
after a lot of complaints about my snoring. I don't know how the wide nostrils will work with the pillow type.

I can't wear tape, I have to be able to talk with my wife during the night when the need arises so a 
the chin strap will have to work.

I know I open my mouth as I wake up with that terrible taste and a dry mouth. on occasion, thankfully it isn't very often.

Take care and thanks for all the help and encouragement.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full beard/mustache and the airfit F20 setup is the best for me (sealing around my facial hair)...
Post Reply Post Reply
My whiskers tend to grow straight out causing the leaks if they would lay down like they should
there would be a lot fewer problems. It takes about a week and a half before my whiskers start to lay flat.
As my wife says after I haven't shaved for a few days, she says I am a bristle brush. 
It sure wears out shirt collars in a hurry.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, that sounds good.

It simplifies a lot, as mouth breathing/leaks issues are taken care of. One less thing to manage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another night, getting better, I think.
Still tired as if I barely slept.
I was on my right side till close to midnight then switched to the left side, and switched back to the right somewhere around 0500 I think.
My wife said I was grinding my teeth before we got up around 0230.
I was brutal with teeth grinding before I started APAP, and broke a couple of teeth and an appliance.
Since I started APAP I had stopped  I think, I sure hope it isn't coming back.
I am wondering if I should be concerned with the CA and the CSR increase.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This is a little complicated. Let me mull it over and will come back tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,  

It appears that not much change has happened so far. I don't have enough knowledge to go any further, but somewhere along the Airways tract there is a section that is impairing your airflow. 

What you are doing now is good; a two track approach, avoiding sleeping on your back, and focusing on sleeping on your side, trying with and without a collar to see which is best. 

If this approach does not work, other options must be explored.

You could speak to your GP about a referral to an EMT doctor to perhaps inspect your upper airways, especially looking around the soft palate. I have seen references about fatty tissues that can impair air flow. Just a guess, but can't leave any stone unturned. 

It may be useful to research this subject somewhat to be as well prepared as possible having a general idea what it is all about. 

What may help is the YouTube channel of Dr Vik Veer. 

To quote Sherlock Holmes "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth". 

This quote doesn't quite tie in, but you get roughly what I mean! 

Oh, I nearly forgot —, teeth grinding. I saw some research on the relationship between teeth grinding and apnea by some Australian dentists. It is thought that the body is making attempts to   push the jaw forward to open the airways. Emulation of the the action of  mandibular advancement device for sleep apnea. Don't know if it is proven. 

That's really all I have. I am sure you will get there. 

Best. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 23 939 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 5 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,366 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.