Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frustrated [Not getting enough sleep]
Frustrated [Not getting enough sleep]
Hello, 

I am new to the forum. And, I love it!  like

Last year 2016 I received a call from my 1st cousin in Chicago. He called to remind me that it was the 60th birthday. Two weeks later his wife found him dead. He had a heart attack. He had not been using his CPAP consistently.

This was the first time I'd ever even heard of a CPAP machine. It turns out that several of his fraternity brothers were using CPAP machines and told me that I should get tested. 

After returning to Michigan I schedule a test and it turns out that I averaged 16.4 incidents per hour!!!

So, I was immediately prescribed CPAP therapy. Unfortunately, after 3 months on CPAP I was unable to exhale whenever the machine "ramped up". So, I had an additional test and was prescribed BIPAP which, I was able to wear without issue.

The problem that I have had since childhood is that I have never been able to sleep more than 4 to 6 hours at night. Which means that I have only scored a maximum of 80 points at the highest on the myAir web dashboard.

What is the lowest acceptable score, compliance or hours allowable? Huh

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian Jefferies
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrated
4 hours per night
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in no way and expert as I have only been on cpap a 3 months myself. I am sorry about your cousin but do you know how bad his apnea was? Yours at 16.4 AHI does not seems that severe but should be treated. Not sure how to teach oneself to sleep longer have have the same issue of managing only 6 hours with some time 2-3 bathroom breaks which doesn't lead to a restful sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
24 days out of 30 with 4 hours use will skate you by, but it's not effective for good therapy. 8 hours a night for 30 out of 30 with quality sleep should be your goal. Welcome to Apnea Board!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought that it was 'normal' for me to sleep less too (5-6 hours), but.. Surprise! With treatment I am now sleeping a solid 8 hours every night.

I don't know if this is a common result of successful treatment, and I didn't do anything to 'try' to sleep longer. It just happened on its own.

edit: Uh, wait a second. I have made changes that may have impacted my sleep:

1. sleep hygiene, especially getting rid of any light sources in the bedroom and not using devices within 2 hours of going to bed (as they are known to interfere with melatonin production)

2. being diligent to monitor vitamin D levels and try to keep them within normal ranges (this is difficult for me)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Brian,
"What is the lowest acceptable score, compliance or hours allowable?"

That depends.  Are you trying to meet compliance for insurance purposes?  If yes, then this is a guideline that Medicare and most insurance companies use:  

Compliance:
Must use CPAP a minimum of 4 hours a day, 70% of the time, for 30 consecutive days within the first 90-day period.
Must also have a face to face Doctor Appointment after the first 31 days, but before the 90-day period is up.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what "My Air" reports.  

You should definitely try to get in more than 4-6 hours sleep.  In the beginning, I used Melatonin for a few weeks to try and reset my "clock."  It seemed to work.  
I also had to change my habits of watching late night TV and started to go to bed around the same time each night.  If I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep after 20 minutes, I got up and read a book until I got tired, then went back to bed.  Bottom line, you have to change old habits...one at a time.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brian:  Please download Sleepyhead and post your results, this way we can see exactly what is going on, even better than what your doctor will see.  When I took my laptop to the doctor and showed him the results, he had a much better understanding as to what was going on and that I needed an immediate change in my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrated [Not getting enough sleep]
Hi brianj1965,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you are treating your sleep apnea.
Hang in there for more responses to your post
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 114 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 205 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Confused and frustrated - question about F&P Evora NewlyDiagnosed 12 340 04-20-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 1,017 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 233 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 267 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,147 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.