Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3D printed parts for CPAP
3D printed parts for CPAP
Is it safe to use 3D printed parts with my CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 3D printed parts for CPAP
Safe in what sense? Will it explode? Doubtful. Will those parts be more porus and grow more bacteria if used in the airstream? Yes, likely.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick response. I was curious about bacteria growth on a 3D printed coupler to attach two 3' hoses together
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2019, 04:41 PM)alshayed Wrote: Safe in what sense? Will it explode? Doubtful. Will those parts be more porus and grow more bacteria if used in the airstream? Yes, likely.

What is your basis for this statement? Are 3D printed objects more porous than the  plastic components we use routinely?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes 3D printed plastic objects typically are more porus than injection molded plastic. It's because of the way layers are added when they have a short period of time to cool, you end up with small holes or grooves and not a perfectly smooth surface.

Google something like "watertight 3d print" and read some of the info. It's possible but I don't know that I would do it for a CPAP type of thing. It's pretty inexpensive to buy a hose coupler that's been injection molded.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you can make a coupler wither a 3D printer. These parts are watertight, but the surface is not as smooth as a molded part. Bacteria growth would not be a problem if you don't get condensation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a 3D printer and probably would opt to not make my own parts just because prices online are so reasonable.  Unless it was a part so unique that 3D printing was my only answer for a mission critical need.  Also, some filament for 3D printing are considered not "Food Safe" while others are.  Search for "Food Safe" filament, check the properties of those particular filaments and see what may be acceptable.  I agree on the discussion above about porosity of 3D printed parts too.

Best of luck.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2019, 04:54 PM)buggy285 Wrote: Thanks for the quick response.  I was curious about bacteria growth on a 3D printed coupler to attach two 3' hoses together

Just buy a coupler for both hoses.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice, I will just buy a coupler.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need parts for Resmed Astral 150 PappaJoe 2 167 04-03-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,671 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  ResMed P10 parts: What else do I need to make the P10 useable? UncollapseMeThroat 4 602 01-22-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Parts monksy 3 966 01-11-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: monksy
  DME solicitations for mask parts mel062369 5 699 11-18-2022, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Angry [Equipment] Resmed Replacement Parts Price hikes? crydee 5 833 10-13-2022, 08:36 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  ResMed AirSense 10 parts diagram bbeardmore 12 27,738 09-20-2022, 07:37 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.