Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4 Days on first Smart Machine (Good AHI, but lots of events)
Question 
4 Days on first Smart Machine (Good AHI, but lots of events)
Grettings all,

I was diagnosed last year with untreated apnea AHI of 50. I spend the first year on a used Escape S8 brick. As noted in another post I just got a "new to me" smart machine Philips 560 Auto Aflex and am loving it. It is so much more comfortable than my old machine and I love getting the data.

The data is new to me, so I wanted to ask the experts for a little direction. I am happy with my AHI, but am seeing what seems like a lot of events compared to other screenshots I have seen on this site, but would love some help pointing me to which are ones to be concerned with and which are not of concern.

I reset the machine to factory defaults, and started out with a range of 5 - 20. Just last night after reading forums I upped the minimum from 5 to 8 and did appreciate getting more air at the bottom end. I also turned off the ramp.

Any other things I may do to improve my events?

Thanks in Advance!

12/12
[Image: ozM4PPll.png]

12/13
[Image: sNKoFrVl.png]

12/14
[Image: ACRzh5Wl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 4 Days on first Smart Machine (Good AHI, but lots of events)
As you can see, raising your minimum pressure has provided considerable relief in the number of snores, flow limitations and you have reached the point where OA is about gone. You still have a lot of RERA being recorded, and a bit of hypopnea and CA is present. You should note in your most recent results that most of the hypopnea occurred as your device reduced pressure towards the 8.0 minimum. Also note all the snores as your machine took time to reach therapy pressure from the minimum. From this it's pretty clear 8.0 is not sufficient as a minimum for you.

Your median pressure is over 11 cm and so I'm pretty sure you will end up with a minimum pressure around 10. It's fine to take your time and move up the minimum pressure at a pace you're comfortable with. I would look for continued reduction in H and RERA events as you do, as well as near elimination of VS.

What was your pressure setting on the Escape?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2016, 01:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What was your pressure setting on the Escape?

Thanks for the fast reply!!

My Doctor originally prescribed an 8 I believe to be adjusted as needed. Since I went the used machine route I was adjusting myself with little knowledge. I moved it up to a 10, and left it there for most of the year, trying 11 for a couple days just before I got the new machine.

I really liked having more pressure changing the min from 5 to 8, so I wont have trouble with 10, since I have been using that for a year with constant pressure and no aflex relief.

I will give that a try tonight, this is so much more fun and empowering having the data and all of the help from this site.

Thanks SleepRider

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kacn6771,
It's GREAT that you are getting your machine adjusted to meet your needs. You have a really good attitude toward your CPAP therapy and that will go a long way to getting better sleep, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish Smile

Here is my first night on a Min of 10. Sleep was very comfortable, no problem going from min 8 to 10. My AHI went up a bit, and leak rate went up some, my RERA went down significantly like you said SleepRider.

I got a new mask yesterday a dreamwear that I was anxious to try, but decided to stick with my old mask so as not to introduce multiple variables. I am glad I kept the old mask, so I know the leak rate may have come from the higher minimum pressure and not the changing of masks. I will keep the old mask for a few more days and the min at 10 to see how it turns out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops, forgot to add the link

[Image: 0KTYW8ul.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
This looks better and the improvements in RERA and snore is pointing to a lower obstruction with the pressure increase. AHI is essentially unchanged, and event distribution for obstructive apnea and hypopnea is pretty consistent. Give it a few days and get past the mask change and we can review again. I think a bit more minimum pressure is going to clean things up, but you're well treated here and can take some time to look at it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 345 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,396 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,003 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.