Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4 months in, horrible OA after changing from nasal N20 to full face F20- PLEASE HELP
4 months in, horrible OA after changing from nasal N20 to full face F20- PLEASE HELP
Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any ideas or insight/advice about an issue I've been having in transitioning from nasal N20 to full face F20. I thought it would improve, but it seems to have worsened my apnea.

I definitely feel like I'm getting more air and have fewer snores, but have had some terrible episodes of OA and feel like a bus hit me in the morning.

A few nights ago, I had about an hour of severe OA and flow limit, - about 15 episodes, some of which lasted about 40 seconds or more. I actually had a dream that I was sprinting and couldn't run fast enough. Screenshot below of the hour when I had a problem and a zoom in on one episode that lasted 51 seconds (!). Oscar data says fixed 11.4cmH20 but pressure was apap 11-13.6 at the screenshot time.

I never had this issue with the nasal mask (or even before CPAP therapy) and was wondering what the problem might be.

Any insights would be appreciated- thanks!

Michael

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 4 months in, horrible OA after changing from nasal N20 to full face F20- PLEASE HELP
You are having some of positional apnea.  You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  There are not a huge amount but getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.

Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 4 months in, horrible OA after changing from nasal N20 to full face F20- PLEASE HELP
(09-15-2023, 11:33 PM)staceyburke Wrote: You are having some of positional apnea.  You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  There are not a huge amount but getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.

Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.

Hi Stacey

Yeah I tried sleeping on my back because both of my shoulders are shot and it sometimes hurts to sleep on my side. I had hoped the full face could help with that as I have some issues with palatal prolapse (separate topic)

I'll try the cervical collar and see what happens. I have one and will try it again this evening.

By the way- I slept on my back sometimes with the nasal mask and never had this issue.  That's what's really puzzling me.

Cheers

Michael
Post Reply Post Reply
You're screen printout still indicates you were using a nasal mask.  Did you change the mask type in the option settings when you switched to the full face mask?  Why did you switch from the nasal mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
 I had it set to FFM until I had the issue and woke up. For the following session, I then switched back to my nasal mask and I think oscar is showing that because it's the last mask I used that night. 
Post Reply Post Reply
"By the way- I slept on my back sometimes with the nasal mask and never had this issue.  That's what's really puzzling me."
Cheers
Michael

Hi Michael,
There is no problem with sleeping on your back if you are making sure that you are not allowing your head to tilt forward into your chest.  This is called "chin tucking", which causes "Positional Apnea."

Look at your Obstructives and Hypopnea.  They are clumped together.  It really has little to do with the mask change, or sleeping on your back, but how you are allowing your head to tilt forward.  Note:  "chin tucking" can occur with side sleeping too.

Read and compare the graphs to your graphs.  Yours isn't as bad, but it does need corrected.  More pressure won't blast through "clumps" of apnea.

Positional Apnea
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opal, for this little nugget. Most useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, by and large, using a full face mask usually gives you less effective treatment than the nasal mask and much less than with the nasal pillows for the same pressure setting. So, the full face mask use may dictate an increased therapy pressure to make up for that. If you did not change the pressure, you would likely have more obstructive apneas and snores with the full face mask over the nasal varieties.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 226 04-24-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 362 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 193 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 307 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 169 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 387 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 893 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.