Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4 weeks in...
RE: 4 weeks in...
Full face masks are not that bad. The first one that I had just would not work for me at all. I tried everything but could not keep it from leaking. Went back to a nasal mask but found that I could not eliminate my mouth leaks even with a chin strap. New DME and RT fitted me with a Mirage Quattro and once I worked with it, I was able to get good leak results but some people have a lot of problems with this particular mask. At my pressure it takers being strapped down tightly in order to control my leaks but it works for me. I have also been able to reduce the dry mouth problems with this mask. I think that a lot of the dry mouth problems were caused by leakage in the past. The mask also stays in place well and I am a side sleeper.

It can be very frustrating trying to get all of the pieces in the right place for successful therapy but I think that it is well worth the effort.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2014, 12:07 PM)StephenR Wrote:
(07-21-2014, 12:04 PM)robysue Wrote:
(07-21-2014, 11:24 AM)StephenR Wrote: Anyway, taking a couple of nights off, birthday tomorrow, sleep to night with the help of meds...
What meds?

When were they originally prescribed? Pre-CPAP or post-CPAP?

I was tested June 15, got the machine June 26....

Zypoclone, nice non addictive...just for a night or two...

Stephen
I assume you mean Zopiclone since nothing came up on a Google search for Zypoclone. And Zopiclone is one of many nonbenzo sedatives prescribed for insomnia worldwide. And as a nonbenzo, Zopiclone is thought to be relatively non-additive. (Although there is a brewing controversy about whether the nonbenzo hypnotics, which include Zopiclone, can be additive if they're used daily for long periods of time.)

The active ingredient in Zopiclone (which is not available in the US) is the closely related to the active ingredient in Lunesta (which is available in the US). At least from what I've seen on a quick Google.

Did you use Zopiclone before being diagnosed with OSA? Or was the Zopiclone prescribed after your OSA diagnosis in order to help you adjust to using the CPAP?

It's important to realize that using sleep medication with untreated sleep apnea is usually strongly discouraged, at least here in the states. Most prescription sleeping medication (including Zopiclone) can increase the tendency for the airway to collapse, and hence worsen the untreated OSA.

Myself? I would absolutely NOT take a prescription sleeping med like Zopiclone on a night when I was NOT PAPing; the warnings about using it with untreated sleep apnea are strong enough to make me unwilling to combine something like Zopiclone with untreated OSA. In other words, if you can't sleep when you are NOT using the PAP without a sleeping pill, the PAP is doing you some good regardless of how you feel about it.

And note: While I would be reluctant to go without the PAP for even a night or two, but I can understand your feelings about wanting to take a break for a night or two, particular since it's your birthday. I had many a sleepless night during my own difficult six month adjustment period to CPAP back in Fall 2010, and I was often tempted to just skip it for a night or two.

So if you really have to take a break from the PAP, you should not be taking the Zopiclone on the nights when you are NOT using the PAP.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
well, seems sleeping drugs relax the the throat...thanks Robysue....may try a little melatonin for tonight...

http://www.sleepdisorders.com/qa/will-me...leep-apnea

Wednesday can't get here soon enough...

Stephen the Zombie
Post Reply Post Reply
On my back is the worst place for me causing most of my obstructions. I don't know if its the mask or what but I have learned to sleep on my side and have AHI of near zero most nights. If your opening your mouth you have got to figure that out. For me the p10 is the best I've tried but everyone is different. I do hope you can get this figured out because I know it is a godsend for me.
Good luck,
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2014, 05:48 PM)Doc J Wrote: On my back is the worst place for me causing most of my obstructions. I don't know if its the mask or what but I have learned to sleep on my side and have AHI of near zero most nights. If your opening your mouth you have got to figure that out. For me the p10 is the best I've tried but everyone is different. I do hope you can get this figured out because I know it is a godsend for me.
Good luck,
Doc J

Love the P10, it does not love me, its always losing it seal when I move, just does not work for this head....:-)

Thanks for the reply

Stephen

Post Reply Post Reply
After a two day break, and wonderful sleep I had my first night with a Nuance Pro. It was quite different from the P10, I could turn all I like and it stayed on! Imagine that!!

It is a noisy mask compared to the P10, and the vents sure do blow a stream of air out...I have warned the wife, lol.

The tech did try to fit a Swift FX on me, but the pillows were not the right shape for the old nostrils...

I don't want to get my hope up, but things may be looking up...I am still pretty tired from sleep deprivation, I won't let that happen again because of mask/sleeping position...ah well sleep and learn...

Stephen
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great news Stephen about the Nuance Pro. Lets hope you have found your magic mask. I have heard excellent reports about this mask and bought one the same time as I purchased my P10.
So far I have not had to use it as I have had success with my P10. You never know, one day I may take it out of it's box.
I hope it keeps on doing the job for you and slowly but surely you daytime tiredness will disappear.
Good luck!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2014, 04:09 PM)StephenR Wrote: may try a little melatonin for tonight...
Stephen the Zombie

I was watching a show about melatonin and the doc said that it is not regulated by the FDA like a lot of OTC meds and that there is no way to know how much of the actual drugs are in each pill. The doc went on to say that one pill may have the correct amount of the drug and the next pill may not have any and the next pill may have a small amount. I am not a doc and I cannot say whether this is accurate or not, only that is what was said on this show. It pertained to a mother that was giving her 3 year old 3 mg of melatonin at night to help the child sleep.

This is just for informational purposes.

That being said, a lot of people have said somnapure works great but I have no clue if it is regulated by the FDA or not and it could be the same situation as melatonin.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot guarantee this info is accurate. Do your own research and ask your doctor about any OTC and/or medication you are taking or considering taking.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2014, 02:34 AM)me50 Wrote: I was watching a show about melatonin and the doc said that it is not regulated by the FDA like a lot of OTC meds and that there is no way to know how much of the actual drugs are in each pill.
I have been using melatonin for several months now and have noticed no day-to-day or pill-to-pill difference in effect. I am curious about who this doctor is and whether he/she believes there are quality control differences between brands of melatonin.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2014, 01:09 AM)Gabby Wrote: That's great news Stephen about the Nuance Pro. Lets hope you have found your magic mask. I have heard excellent reports about this mask and bought one the same time as I purchased my P10.
So far I have not had to use it as I have had success with my P10. You never know, one day I may take it out of it's box.
I hope it keeps on doing the job for you and slowly but surely you daytime tiredness will disappear.
Good luck!

Horrible night, could not get the pillows to seal, and the vents were soooo noisy, stopped machine at 2am, awake for 2 hours then two hours sleep..up to start caregiving duties...

I am not sure this CPAP therapy is going to work for me, it is killing me, or rather the masks are...

Just did some more reading on here, (this board is awesomeThanks)
Seems I might have over tightened the straps on the head gear..I will be taking a CPAP Nap soon and will follow the instructions...

Stephen the Zombie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 136 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 326 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,514 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 681 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 914 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 313 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.