Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4 years, still feel like garbage
4 years, still feel like garbage
Got my Resmed 9 four years ago and have been using it faithfully ever since. 2 different doctors at the sleep clinic and at least 12 appointments later and they tell me everything is fine; no leakage, no problems, ramp adjustment and pressure are fine and everything looks great every time they read my card, including just 3 days ago. She even adjusted the bottom pressure number downward to 10 minimum because she felt like 12 was too much. 16 is the max.

So why do I still feel like garbage every day? Why, including last night, can I never sleep more than 5 hours, 5.5 at the very most, and wake up with blockhead like right now, which as we all know messes up your whole day and makes you feel like complete crap until you climb into bed again in the evening? Jeeesh, what a way to go through life, tired and with a massive headache all the freaking time. Even using CPAP nightly.

Just lost 130 pounds from April 2015 to May 2016 following gastric bypass surgery, yaaaay! 70% of patients who go through the program get to lose their CPAP machines and see their apnea issues go away, but not me! That would be way too easy. Sometimes losing 40% of your body weight helps to shrink the Uvula and clear more space in your air passageway for the air to get through, but my sleep Doc had a look and says my mouth area is still way too crowded.

Here's a checklist of things I am NOT doing wrong;

- Darkened room for sleep; check, I even have cardboard on the windows, it's like a cave in there.
-Cpap adjusted properly? Yup, the Docs always tell me all the settings are perfect and they adjust it themselves.
-Alcohol or cigarettes? Nope, never smoked and don't like alcohol.
-Tired from the day's activities? Check, I work out daily now and usually do 3-4 miles either on the treadmill as well as walking and hiking and weight training.
-TV or computer usage late at night?Nope, I prefer reading.
-Food before bed? Not anymore. And I never, ever take in caffeine at night and rarely in the daytime.
- Coffee? Never drank it even once in my life. Don't like the taste.

The ONLY advantage I am getting from wearing the mask faithfully every night for 4 years is that I don't have Nocturia any longer, thank God. Getting up to pee every 2 hours before using it was a giant pain; but now I can get a full 5 [5!!!] hours without peeing. Awesome.

Hey, it's all good, who needs 6 or 7 or even [oh my god, what a dream -literally - this would be] 8 hours of sleep when you can get 5? 5 is awesome! Blockhead feels fantastic too. Have a great Saturday one and all, I will be feeling like crap all day. Again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 4 years, still feel like garbage
(05-21-2016, 07:12 AM)Route67 Wrote: Here's a checklist of things I am NOT doing wrong;

-Cpap adjusted properly? Yup, the Docs always tell me all the settings are perfect and they adjust it themselves.

Hi Route67,
Sorry you have had so much difficulty with your therapy.

I agree with your check list of things you are doing correctly except the one above.

How do you know that your settings are adjusted correctly? Are you looking at SleepyHead reports to see what your AHI is and the breakdown of your apnea events? Do you experience a lot of Clear Airway events?

It may be easier to depend on doctors to tell you all is well, but is it?

Most of us here on Apnea Board have found out the hard way that our docs don't or can't help too much with Cpap settings.

Use the Sleepyhead software and download your data, and post us a screenshot.
Someone here can take a look and be able to make suggestions.

We are not doctors, but yours hasn't done much for you in 4 years and 12 appointments!

It may be time to take charge of your Cpap therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try that, but I think I tried it a couple times based on suggestions here and it didn't help. I have the sleepyhead software saved somewhere in my PC so I will dig it out right now.

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention is that I never have trouble FALLING asleep, in fact I bet I am doing that in less than 5 minutes every night, I am generally tired from the day's activities.

It's staying asleep - and the lack of vivid dreaming and any sort of deep sleep - which is bothering me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can someone please send up the proper link to download and run the sleepyhead software? I just found a link but it was a malicious attack program which tried to harm my computer [Norton stopped the attack].

I'd be happy to use it and send up the results here but I need a correct link, thanks everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Route67, the link to the SleepyHead software can be found at the top of each page on this forum. Download is clean but Kaperski and Norton are both reporting a false positive Trojan. I can confirm I have it running on my own computer with no problems, as have other members here.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a link at the top of this page - it has a sheep icon. I have seen a couple of people posting recently saying that their computer's virus protection program is flagging SleepyHead as a Trojan or some other sort of malware. It's not, but you might want to wait for some of the message board operators to weigh in on that.

If you type "SleepyHead virus malware" into a search engine, it will show you some posts from this board where people are discussing this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2016, 08:06 AM)Route67 Wrote: Can someone please send up the proper link to download and run the sleepyhead software? I just found a link but it was a malicious attack program which tried to harm my computer [Norton stopped the attack].

current build is:
[url]http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE .[/url]

Member Jedimark codes sleepyhead; and says some AV programs are giving false positives to the installer code.

See this thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-as-Trojan

If you're still unsure, you could use a previous build.
http://www.apneaboard.com/SH-old
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Route67, should you find the answer to only getting 5-5.5 hours sleep please pass the information on, I usually only get 4-4.5 hours.
The best the MM (moron medic) could come up with was to go to bed later.

Strangely I do not feel like garbage, but then again I had no complaints before starting treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
4 or 5 hours of sleep is not only bad for you, it's dangerous too; that's all Trump/John Miller gets and look how weird he is.

OK, so as others have mentioned the Norton not only blocks the Sleepyhead download but it then removes the program so there is no way to download it or even override it. I tried disabling the firewall for my Norton but that didn't work either.

So I went with the old version and got this. Perfect.

3 reinstalls get me the same error every time. Will keep trying.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2016, 07:12 AM)Route67 Wrote: She even adjusted the bottom pressure number downward to 10 minimum because she felt like 12 was too much. 16 is the max.

I would think that having lost that much weight you'd need to lower the max pressure, but fortunately we can use SleepyHead (SH) to help us make those decisions. Most doctors will not be looking at the detailed data because they don't have SH. Yes, they can use ResScan, but they would need to examine the data on their computer. What they do instead is have their assistants print a summary report. And things can look good on a summary report, even when an examination of the details shows that they're not.

For example, you could be mouth-leaking: The summary data showing that the amount of time spent in large leak is acceptable, but examination of the leak graph showing that those short amounts of time spent in large leak are interfering with the effectiveness of your therapy and causing you to awaken in the middle of the night. The remedy would be a chin strap or a full face mask.

I suggest you find another doctor who is willing to treat your insomnia. Someone who specializes in CPAP therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 186 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 830 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 325 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.