Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4 years, still feel like garbage
RE: 4 years, still feel like garbage
(05-21-2016, 09:51 AM)Route67 Wrote: Here is an attachment, if you guys need it bigger I can do that too.

Show us the daily page for last night. I'm particularly interested in looking at the leak rate graph because I see in the statistics that your leak rate is elevated at times. Look here for tips on how to best display this page.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A few other thoughts while waiting for your detailed data. One is the you might be what is called a natural short sleeper. When I had my sleep study, the doctor told me that I as a natural short sleeper with a sleep need of 5.5 hours a night. I am not entirely sure that I believe that, but that is when I usually wake up, fully awake if not refreshed. I have a close friend who can sleep no more than four hours, but wakes fully refreshed and full of energy.

If you SleepyHead data looks good, then your sleep time might not be an issue. The way you feel might have a difference cause than poor or short sleep. Depression is one thing that comes to mind. There are others. You need a doctor who is willing to do a full work up to track this down.

Finally an AHI of 5.0 is not a magic number. It is just an arbitrary number that is used as a cutoff between "needs CPAP treatment" and "does not need CPAP treatment". My therapist was happy when I got down to 5. I was not. If my AHI is above 2 or so, I feel like I have been clipped with a brick the next day. That is where SleepyHead and taking charge of your therapy comes in.

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
Stupid question, how is your caffeine consumption? Are you having any after high noon?

There is a noticeable affect on my sleep if I have late caffeine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2016, 07:59 AM)Route67 Wrote: I will try that, but I think I tried it a couple times based on suggestions here and it didn't help. I have the sleepyhead software saved somewhere in my PC so I will dig it out right now.

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention is that I never have trouble FALLING asleep, in fact I bet I am doing that in less than 5 minutes every night, I am generally tired from the day's activities.

It's staying asleep - and the lack of vivid dreaming and any sort of deep sleep - which is bothering me.

You need to use SleepyHead for some time because some important things only become apparent over time. Don't believe your doctors when they say your settings are "perfect". With a little bit of time and observation you can be the world leading authority on *your* sleep apnea, and you should not stop until you are. Ultimately it's your body and only you know how you feel from inside.

I too have trouble staying asleep, and it's an impediment to effective therapy. In my case it's having to get up and pee. You may be different, but you need to find out why you are waking up so much and you should insist that your doctors find out why if you can't.

It's possible that you may need another type of machine, or even supplemental oxygen when you sleep. You need to understand your numbers and how and why they vary to find out about that. SleepyHead is your friend in this endeavor and I recommend you keep looking at your data every day and see what patterns emerge.

If you are puzzled about something you can make your SH results available here - there are many people on the board who can help you understand your data. We aren't doctors, but most of us here are the world's leading authorities about *our* sleep apnea.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies, all very helpful - someone mentioned sending up the Daily page, so here it is for last night

as for my mask, I believe it fits OK, I change it often and have a few on standby at all times with new hoses as well.

I was thinking maybe moving to the nose pillow type of mask

never drink caffeine, on the weight-loss program I am on sugar isn't allowed so pretty much all my intake is water and I don't drink coffee. Daily graph attached, thanks to the sleuths here.

http://imgur.com/d39bA7u

[Click on graph to expand, I was over my daily limit for attachments]
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a leak problem.... especially just before 3:00 AM.
Look how the flow pattern diminished during that high leak.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, just as I suspected. Those chunks of time where the leak rate is elevated likely indicate mouth leaking. This is the same thing that happened to me. The total amount of time spent in large leak is not enough to register as "too much" in a summary report, so a doctor looking at only summary reports won't see it. But it is enough to ruin a night's sleep. Once I solved this problem I started feeling much more rested.

The remedy is a chin strap. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to go to a full face mask. The thought of a full face mask was dreadful to me, but when I tried it, I discovered it wasn't so bad after all. In fact, it was easier to gear up and it leaves fewer marks on my face in the morning than did the nasal mask straps and chin strap.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, what am I missing? I don't see any events to cause the large pressure increase.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Route67. So, about your sleep patterns...you go to bed, it usually takes 30 minutes or more for you to fall asleep, then you sleep 5 hours or so then wake up and can't fall asleep again? Is that a good summary? Please correct me if it's not.

Around what time do you usually go to bed?

Do you take any medications, vitamins, or supplements in the evening that could be causing the short sleep?

I'm calling it "short sleep" because you're not rested. Some people do great on 5.5 hours, others don't. I feel like death warmed over, myself, if I only sleep 5.5 hours. Seven hours is the magic number for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2016, 05:43 PM)green wings Wrote: Okay, what am I missing? I don't see any events to cause the large pressure increase.

Likely it's flow limitations. He didn't show us the flow limitation graph.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 230 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,020 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.