Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4 years, still feel like garbage
RE: 4 years, still feel like garbage
Ah, okay. Thanks.

(05-21-2016, 06:06 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Likely it's flow limitations. He didn't show us the flow limitation graph.

Post Reply Post Reply
The large leak caused a "measured" reduction in flow; you can see the flow decline before the large leaks grays out the flow and pressure graph.
The machine detects the reduction in flow and cranks up pressure; but the pressure doesn't help. Without the leak, the machine likely would have hummed along at 10 cm-water.

IMHO: Fix the leaks; and the OP might even do well on a fixed CPAP at Pressure = 10; and EPR = 2.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo you bring up a good point. Route67s data looks much like mine...good AHI, some big leaks during the night followed by max pressure. When the machine responds by increasing pressure, which does not help. Since my AHI is mostly under 1.0 i don't worry too much about leaks. I've tried everything for leaks but i can't stand the mask too tight, so i live with the leaks. Notice that the few events Route67 had don't coincide with leaks of high pressure. Route 67 are you awakened by those spikes in pressure?

Route67, actually your sleep data looks pretty good to me. One thing i tried just to prove to myself that cpap was working, is that i bought a recording O2 device. They take a bit of fiddling to get working properly, but knowing that our oxygen level is good is what all this is about.

So maybe as some of the others are suggesting, the reason you feel like "garbage" might be something else.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I am never awakened by anything once I am asleep.....which usually takes less than 10 minutes from the time I close the light and close my eyes. I then sleep a solid 5 to 6 hours [max] but, same as right now, I never feel rested. Ever. It's like I didn't even sleep at all, and I never dream like I used to, vivid dreams which I enjoyed 4 or 5 years ago are now a distant memory.

I would be happy to try a full face mask, anything to get a good night's sleep. I think I may talk with the medical supply company this week and see what they can do, my insurance covers most of this stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2016, 05:53 PM)green wings Wrote: Hey Route67. So, about your sleep patterns...you go to bed, it usually takes 30 minutes or more for you to fall asleep, then you sleep 5 hours or so then wake up and can't fall asleep again? Is that a good summary? Please correct me if it's not.

Around what time do you usually go to bed?

Do you take any medications, vitamins, or supplements in the evening that could be causing the short sleep?

I'm calling it "short sleep" because you're not rested. Some people do great on 5.5 hours, others don't. I feel like death warmed over, myself, if I only sleep 5.5 hours. Seven hours is the magic number for me.

1- it takes me much less than 30 mins to fall asleep, usually around ten, max. I then sleep 5 to six hours at the very most and yes, once that happens I can't sleep any more, I am up for the day.

2-I go to bed around 11 every night, sometimes 11:30 never later than 12.

3- My only meds, for high blood pressure, are taken in the morning. Supplements also; since I went through the gastric bypass I must take a multi-vitamin 4 times daily, as well as calcium and iron supplements. I have a prescription for Ambien which I try not to take but find myself taking it 2 or 3 nights a week. I also take melatonin, 5mg's a night but sometimes I skip this.

4- Oh, it's definitely "short sleep" and I am 100% definitely not rested. Last night was a perfect example; closed the light around 11:30 and was up at 5:15, so not quite 6 hours. Feel like utter crap right now, can barely type these words and I feel completely exhausted. Awesome way to go through life.

I remember when I first got assigned a CPAP machine, in late 2011, because I had a bad case of Nocturia [getting up to pee every 2 hours at night]. I was told that once I got used to it, which, as we all know, takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, that my life would be so much better, that it would be "like someone lifted a shade that had been drawn, which would allow me to think clearly and not be tired all day." Yeah, right.

I'd guess in 4 years I have felt like that maybe 10% of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, Route67.

You know, it sounds like a sleep study with you using your APAP machine would be a good idea. I'm not sure how you talk a doctor into doing one, though.

Do you remember if you had periodic limb movements during your original sleep study? That is something that would be causing arousals and causing you not to get good quality sleep.

Another sleep study would also help you to find out if you are getting the correct amount of each stage of sleep.

There are some gadgets for home use that are supposed to estimate how much time you spend in each stage of sleep. I don't know how accurate they are. Ditto for the equipment used for home sleep studies.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, by the way. I've been using CPAP for about 4 months, and I'm still hoping that my sleep will become more refreshing and that my energy level will improve. I did have improvement the first month that I used CPAP, but then things went (back) downhill. Poor energy level, no dreams that I can recall. I usually sleep around 7 hours, though. I don't usually feel sleepy during the day, just tired.

(05-22-2016, 08:46 AM)Route67 Wrote: No, I am never awakened by anything once I am asleep.....which usually takes less than 10 minutes from the time I close the light and close my eyes. I then sleep a solid 5 to 6 hours [max] but, same as right now, I never feel rested. Ever. It's like I didn't even sleep at all, and I never dream like I used to, vivid dreams which I enjoyed 4 or 5 years ago are now a distant memory.

I would be happy to try a full face mask, anything to get a good night's sleep. I think I may talk with the medical supply company this week and see what they can do, my insurance covers most of this stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was wondering how long you've been taking Ambien. Is this what helps you fall asleep so quickly?
I don't know much about the drug except what I've read, but was just wondering about it.

Some folk can get 5 hours of sleep a night and it's good for them, obviously not for you. It wouldn't be for me either, I would be "zombie like" if that's all I slept.

Have you had a complete physical workup, including blood work? There seems to be some other problem your not aware of that is affecting your ability to sleep longer.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the excellent AHI, we still don't know where you are with regard to RERA. I had great AHI results but high incidence of RERA which resolved when I changed to bilevel. Leaks are an issue and can be disruptive. You are using EPR of 2.0 presently; what happens when you increase to 3.0?

Last question, have you checked hormone levels (T)?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's expand Sleeprider's question...
Have you had a full medical workup?

There are a number of medical conditions that can make a person feel like a "slug."

Diabetes, Depression, Thyroid, Side effects of medication (especially beta blockers) to name a few.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2016, 07:59 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Since my AHI is mostly under 1.0 i don't worry too much about leaks.

AHI reported by a CPAP machine means little to nothing if your leak rate is too high.

There are lots of reasons for this. The machine can't accurately measure AHI, the leaks could mean there's an insufficient pressure splint to keep your airway from collapsing, and the leaks could be interfering with your ability to reach and maintain the deeper levels of sleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 181 11 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.