Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

$45 Tip to Sleep Doc.
RE: $45 Tip to Sleep Doc.
Were you on your side or back when that data was generated?
Post Reply Post Reply
Set it on 10 min-18 max, per both recommendations. On vacation this week, so no biggie. Long as I get my 4 hours per day in until the 17th. Thanks for your help. We will look at it again in the am..... Sorry, last comment must have come while I was typing. As I said, did not sleep well, at all. Made a real effort to at least stay on my side, as I didn't do much sleeping until later in night. I wound up taking two benadryll (sp). Guess that is when I actually slept. At that time, probably more likely on my back, my default position, due to arms falling asleep before I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slept fairly well up to around 2:30, when pressure went up HIGH. Not really sure why; no flags. Downward curve at that peak was actually me, moving to my side, holding mask tight against face, trying to ride out the storm.. Didn't work, so turned it off, took care of some business, and turned it back on. Did not sleep at all until next break; about an hour, then slept until usual time I get up during work week. 10 PM until a little after 4 AM is my window of opportunity for sleep. It is what it is. Had to delete first shots, from 12/09, due to data restrictions. Looks to me I could back off a little on the max, but don't really know if that's right. Know we can't play it day by day, but I consider this an initial setup that should have been done in Sept, and cannot deal with mask blowing off face when I return to work, Monday. Thanks, everyone helping me!
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks like a decent night, not too bad at all. Far better than the previous screen shots.

Remember the machine is preventing what it perceives as possible events, it tries to work in advance of an event so it is quite possible that you would have had an event if the pressure was not on an upward path, and that path did prevent the event.

It may have woke you this time, and may wake you the next 5 or 10 times, but I can say from experience you will get used to it and sleep through it.

If I were you I would leave this setting for the next 7-10 days, check it day by day see how you are doing and at the end of the week we should know enough to see what settings are starting to come through and will help you the best.

As to screen shots, there is a site called http://www.tinypic.com you do a screen shot then upload it there, and it will give you an [IMG]your file name here[/IMG] link that you can use to post here in the forum. That may be easier for you.

A final thought is that AHI of sub 5 is considered the gold standard, many of us maintain sub 1, but for where you are/were this is a good result for the night so keep that in mind.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good data there to show the difference between back and side sleeping positions. When you were on your back, there was a great cluster of limitations that caused the pressure to ramp up almost to the max. It's easy to see how rolling over to your side was bringing the pressure down but the algorithm prevents any rapid decrease in pressure so you were unable to ride it out.

It's looking a lot like you will need to sleep on your side if all other issues remain as they are now. I well know that side sleeping presents a challenge but there are several ways to make it more comfortable. A memory foam mattress topper is a good first step. One with a 4" total thickness that has a 2" layer of firm and 2" of memory material is the best that I have found. Also a higher and firmer pillow is usually a help. Then placing other pillows in certain areas can be helpful to reduce discomfort and help discourage roll over. For a life long back sleeper, side sleeping is never going to be great but "ya gotta do what ya gotta do" sometimes.

It's hard to say what caused that cluster of limitations but I'm guessing your position was the greatest factor.

At any rate this is good data for you to show the Doc. I wish I could give you better news but I have the exact same problem and I haven't found any better answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, Galactus and I were typing at the same time so you can add both posts together and name your poison. As I said, I have the same problem and strapping the mask on to prevent leaks at 18 ~ 20 cm would be out of the question for me. I also can't tolerate exhaling into such high pressures and will wake up when they come about. That sorta defeats the purpose of trying to get a good night's sleep.

YMMV so try all options since what works for one may not work for all.

Also given that this is only a single night's data, a longer trial would be recommended. That cluster might not show up very often or we may be able to definitely pin down what causes it and have a better remedy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lookin' good, saltydawg2. Well-done You have done a great job so far............ Smile despite having to haul Galactus and Surferdude around on your back. Rolling laugh

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Side, not back!!! Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
I came equipped with wheels no need to haul me around Big Grin

Best Regards,

G

/hommage
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nobody knows the trouble I've seen.... I appreciate all comments! Think I will try to ride it out, as is. If I reach a point I cannot sleep at all, may have to think a little about lowered, some. But I will try to stay on my side. Problem is, I wake up, and make decision to roll over. At that point, I start all over. Sometimes, it's almost too late to fall asleep before stupid alarm goes off. Did buy a new memory foam by Sealy; about $700 for top mattress, only. Before then, very hard to sleep on side. I have an IKEA frame that electrically raises head, knees, and, or feet. Little dog that sleeps with me doesn't like the knee thing, much. Such a thing as too high a head to be able to sleep on side; about have that part ok. Thanks, again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,360 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,200 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.