Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

$4500 for this ??
$4500 for this ??
Hi Folks, I've been recently diagnosed with Central/Obstructive "complex" sleep apnea. Woo! Hoo! Banana

Anyways, I haven't yet received my machine. I've been waiting on the Medical Company that the Dr. referred me to to get all the stuff authorized by my insurance. Just got verified a couple hours ago.

The Medical Equipment company gave me a quote of $4500 for the following. My out of pocket (20%) is around $850!

ResMed S9 Adapt SV and a Quattro small full face mask ??

Seriously ?? Surely this stuff can be has much less expensive!

What say you ?

TIA!

ERIC
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: $4500 for this ??
Welcome to the forum, Eric, and if you hang on, there will be lots of people to help you find your answers.

It would help if we knew where you are (especially which country) as prices vary from country to country, but if you are in the US, then you probably have lowest prices anywhere (although Philips products are far cheaper in the Netherlands).

However, the equipment you are talking about is not at all cheap, so do expect to pay something for it. If there are better prices in your region, we can advise you better once we know where you are. Thanks, and hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, Eric. As Wilorg said, that machine is a special one, but I'm not familiar with pricing. You could take a look at pricing from some of the online suppliers to get an idea of what it should be costing.
I'm sort of surprised that your doctor directed you to a specific DME (supplier of durable medical equipment). Mine left that choice up to me and gave me names of a few local DMEs.
You didn't mention if you are on medicare, because if you are, the procedure is easier on your wallet.
Hang in for responses from board members who have purchased the same machine you're looking at.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2013, 05:52 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Hi Folks, I've been recently diagnosed with Central/Obstructive "complex" sleep apnea. Woo! Hoo!
Anyways, I haven't yet received my machine. I've been waiting on the Medical Company that the Dr. referred me to to get all the stuff authorized by my insurance. Just got verified a couple hours ago.
The Medical Equipment company gave me a quote of $4500 for the following. My out of pocket (20%) is around $850!

It can be that expensive in some countries. The US has the cheapest prices, but if you go to the supplier list (link at the top of every page at Apnea Board) and check out Supplier #2 you will find gently used and open box items for a fraction of their new cost, and they will ship to some other countries. You may find that paying out of pocket doesn't cost much more than the 20% the medical equipment company wants you to pay. But it all depends on where you are located.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

With respect to the cost of the equipment, the cost of the XPAP machine can be spread out over 12 (or 13) months if you are on Medicare. Under Medicare rules, you are essentially renting the equipment initially. The mask, tubing, humidifier, filters, etc. are all consumable items that are replaced periodically. So it is not like you are paying for all the equipment at once.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2013, 05:52 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Hi Folks, I've been recently diagnosed with Central/Obstructive "complex" sleep apnea. Woo! Hoo! Banana

I've heard the prices on the VPAP models. Not much difference. The "fancy" ones certainly are costly. I'd hate to say that you're getting a bargain at $850 but you probably are. BUT.... it doesn't sound like one gets prescribed that stuff unless the doc really feels they need it. If you can't snag a better price, don't argue. I doubt it will get much cheaper.
Oh a quick look suggests your machine IS a VPAP. $850 is a bargain compared to the full price. Even used models don't seem to cost less than a thousand or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2013, 05:52 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: The Medical Equipment company gave me a quote of $4500 for the following. My out of pocket (20%) is around $850!

Assuming you're in the USA and the out of pocket cost is associated with your employer's insurance plan, that price is a tad high, but it remains to be seen what it'll actually cost you by the time the insurance company processes it and pronounces the "allowed fee". It should be $1500 for the machine, plus incidentals, but you never know as it varies with different insurance companies.

You'll not be able to get that equipment new for anywhere near $850.

Plus, if there's a need to switch you to a different machine, as sometimes happens with new patients, that Medical Equipment company will likely have to make that switch on their own dime. They are taking some risk.

Also, it's very common for new patients to have to switch masks, and that's something that they'll do for you as part of the fee you're paying.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel your $$$ pain. With insurance, about 2 weeks ago, and for a different machine than you, I had to cough up a $1000 out of pocket. It was well worth it though. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2013, 06:19 PM)wilorg Wrote: It would help if we knew where you are (especially which country) as prices vary from country to country, but if you are in the US, then you probably have lowest prices anywhere (although Philips products are far cheaper in the Netherlands).

Hey folks. I'm here in SW Ohio.

I'm not on Medicare (Yet! lol! ), but I am Retired USAF and on Tricare Prime and I also have access to the VA (actually work there now) as well.

I did find it a bit odd that my Doc sent me to (1) specific company and I was not given a choice to any other. Can you say "kick-back" !! LOL!

Anyways, what would a "reasonable" price be for the equipment I listed ?

$850 out of pocket after Insurance is pure BS IMHO and I refuse to pay that amount (if it's possible!).

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.