Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

$4500 for this ??
RE: $4500 for this ??
(03-16-2013, 06:55 PM)iSnooze Wrote: When I was first diagnosed with sleep apnea I was also stunned at the cost of the machine and gear. I thought that it would be cheaper to buy it online and not be reimbursed than to have insure pay and I cough up the 20% out of pocket. It was actually cheaper to go with the DME and pay the 20%. I also got an excellent tutorial on how to use the machine and was able to try on many masks before settling on one. The technician who explained how to use the cpap machine didn't rush and made sure I understood everything before she let me go. I know that not all DMEs are as friendly and professional as the one I went to, but for me having the insurance pay was the right decision.

I went to a brick and mortar DME first and was given an inferior machine at an outrageous price. Luckily the DME had me on a 10 month "rent to own" type of plan. When the DME flat out refused to give me an AutoSet (with the argument that I didn't need one because Escape Auto was just as good) I called my insurance company, explained that I could buy an AutoSet and supplies on-line for less than what the brick and mortar DME was charging (and provided them with approximate figures) and they agreed to let me buy the stuff and then they reimburse me. I just e-mail them a scan of the receipt and a filled out standard generic claim form and they send me a check. Buying on-line AND having insurance pay, it's the best of both worlds. I would strongly encourage anybody interested in doing this to give the insurance company a call, prepared with some numbers/prices, and seeing if they'll work with you.

I won't get into ALL of the other problems I had at the brick and mortar DME. I will say this; it wasn't until I found Apnea Board that I was able to get into the clinical menu and see that the Respiratory Therapist had set the Escape Auto to "Pillows" even though she gave me a Full Face Mask (proper size determined by looking at me and saying, "hmmm, you look like a medium") and, contrary to what she showed me, you aren't supposed to tighten a Quattro FX until your eyeballs pop out.

I know they aren't all as bad as the one I went to; but, I just want to repeat what has been said many times before (because I think it's important) - if you do get one that's bad, you probably have other options. The biggest problem is that many of us end up at a DME for the first time ever when we are at a very low point and at a time of great need, having hit "rock bottom" and extremely desperate after having suffered years of untreated apnea; unfortunately, it seems that some DMEs take advantage of that.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2013, 05:52 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: ......

The Medical Equipment company gave me a quote of $4500 for the following. My out of pocket (20%) is around $850!

ResMed S9 Adapt SV and a Quattro small full face mask ??

Seriously ?? Surely this stuff can be has much less expensive!

What say you ?

The Servo-ventilator machines for CA may be more complex and probably have a lower demand so that probably accounts for half the price - with the ResMed tax accounting for the rest.

You are lucky though that you only have a 20% co-payment. Here in Australia most of the Insurance companies only contribute at flat $500 and nothing for consumables like hoses, masks and filters.

None the less - I don't begrudge the two and a half grand I stumped up for my Respironcs Auto. I feel so much better for the unbroken sleep and Mrs Moriarty now doesn't fret over my long gasping apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
WOW !! Just W-O-W !! You folks are absolutely incredible! Thanks

Very rare nowadays to find decent, kind, supportive people! Yes, I know this is a "support" board, but still, you folks are AWESOME! Cool

That said, as I stated in my "Newbie" topic, I have been on this PC for many, many hours the last several days researching and "trying" to digest this vast amount of information that is pouring into my head! My brain HURTS now LOL!

So many questions..... I wish I would have listened to my wife many years ago and gotten the help I truly needed. Live and Learn!

Anyways, back to the original topic of this tread. Yes, I was shocked and blown out of the water with the "sticker shock" of the Adapt SV machines.

Several of you have made many excellent and valid arguments as the reason for high price. I still have not seen (or understand yet) the technological difference(s) within the different machines that justifies the increased cost. Yes, I know HOW it works, I just don't see the technology behind it.

Being a Medical Technologist myself for the past (30) years (in 2 weeks actually!) places me in a unique position to understanding the technology behind their operation. I work everyday on Lab analyzers that cost over $250,000+ so also know the reasoning behind the hidden costs associated with them.

I don't mind one tiny bit giving a Company the Profits they deserve. What have gross intolerance for is the green-eyed GREED that some companies possess! That's what I have a putrid resentment towards!

Back to my future machine choice(s). During my extensive research, the best price I found was also around $3500. That was from an On-Line store that does not have a local brick and mortar.

The $4500 will include Technical training about all the ins/outs on how to use the equipment and also fit testing as well. That (I suppose) is worth another few $100s. There also is the option of the Technician bringing the equipment to my home instead of me driving (30) miles (and a couple hours of my time) to go get it.

My game plan for first thing tomorrow is to make several calls.

(1) My local Base Hospital....where I receive the majority of my healthcare)
(2) Local VA (where I also work)

and a couple local DMEs (2 here in my town) to check availability and costs of the above named equipment.

Thank you'all once again for great info! Thanks

I'm praying to God that a restful, rejuvenated sleep pattern is in my near future! Lord knows.....I NEED IT ! Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 04:54 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Back to my future machine choice(s). During my extensive research, the best price I found was also around $3500. That was from an On-Line store that does not have a local brick and mortar.

The $4500 will include Technical training about all the ins/outs on how to use the equipment and also fit testing as well. That (I suppose) is worth another few $100s. There also is the option of the Technician bringing the equipment to my home instead of me driving (30) miles (and a couple hours of my time) to go get it.
My game plan for first thing tomorrow is to make several calls.
(1) My local Base Hospital....where I receive the majority of my healthcare)
(2) Local VA (where I also work)
and a couple local DMEs (2 here in my town) to check availability and costs of the above named equipment.

Don't forget Craigslist. You need a special machine, so the odds of finding it on Craigslist are less than for a more common machine, but all it takes is a few mouse clicks to check it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 04:54 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Several of you have made many excellent and valid arguments as the reason for high price. I still have not seen (or understand yet) the technological difference(s) within the different machines that justifies the increased cost. Yes, I know HOW it works, I just don't see the technology behind it.

Just like pencils that write in zero gravity and life jackets that work even when wet. I suppose anyone can make an excuse to jack up a price.

Quote: Being a Medical Technologist myself for the past (30) years (in 2 weeks actually!) places me in a unique position to understanding the technology behind their operation. I work everyday on Lab analyzers that cost over $250,000+ so also know the reasoning behind the hidden costs associated with them.

Then there's laymen like me who have no idea.
I figure companies can charge what they will and the "professionals" who use them (doctors, etc) because they can write off the cost somewhere.

Quote: The $4500 will include Technical training about all the ins/outs on how to use the equipment and also fit testing as well. That (I suppose) is worth another few $100s. There also is the option of the Technician bringing the equipment to my home instead of me driving (30) miles (and a couple hours of my time) to go get it.

Makes me want to puke. Here I go - Vomit
Copying the clinical manual from this website and READING IT is a hell of a lot cheaper. I've had it from being manipulated by "experts" with their own agenda for what they feel I "should" have (S9 Escape).
I was more than delighted to tell my DME that I adjusted the pressure myself instead of waiting for her lousy appointment. So I guess she couldn't charge her customary $40.
And bringing the equipment here? I guess I'm lucky that it's only three blocks away for me. And I got my walker repaired so it's almost as good as new. I guess the problem I have is I see the whole thing as a "service" that shouldn't be turning a profit from those who NEED them.

Ah yes but I suppose money talks and there'd be no incentive on the companies if they didn't pull in tasty profits.
But although I admit that the price on the Adapt SV was a bargain compared to full price, I realize that surely there are people out there who can't even afford the cheap machines without going heavily into debt. Sometimes it seems that helping people and making money aren't always compatible. Money usually wins out.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 08:43 PM)Ugly Wrote: Makes me want to puke. Here I go - Vomit
Copying the clinical manual from this website and READING IT is a hell of a lot cheaper. I've had it from being manipulated by "experts" with their own agenda for what they feel I "should" have (S9 Escape).
I was more than delighted to tell my DME that I adjusted the pressure myself instead of waiting for her lousy appointment. So I guess she couldn't charge her customary $40.
Big Grin Good point! Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
For me, money does talk. It says: "Good Bye!"

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2013, 07:58 AM)Shastzi Wrote: For me, money does talk. It says: "Good Bye!"

Smile
No doubt!

I "may" be in luck. That DME was NOT in my Insurance's Network. I'm hoping to get a machine through a Network Provider. Hopefully, there will be no out of pocket costs. Cool

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2013, 10:00 AM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Hopefully, there will be no out of pocket costs. Cool

Highly unlikely unless you are old enough to be on Medicare. oldman If you are on Medicare, you need to use a Medicare approved DME.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2013, 11:39 AM)PollCat Wrote:
(03-18-2013, 10:00 AM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Hopefully, there will be no out of pocket costs. Cool

Highly unlikely unless you are old enough to be on Medicare. oldman If you are on Medicare, you need to use a Medicare approved DME.

Fortunately the rules change from time to time.
When I got my first CPAP at the closing of the 20th century I had to fork out several hundred dollars (Canadian) for my "share" of the expenses. Sometimes I even had to shell out for replacement masks or hoses. This time around it's not costing me financially. Just physically and emotionally. I'm 45 but I'm on permanent disability. It keeps us below the poverty line in terms of income but most of my drugs are paid for and with current rules, so is the CPAP. So when they stop dawdling about it I can pick up the AutoSet and take it home.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.