Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4th night data
4th night data
My AHI still seems a little high.  It was ~25 for the first couple nights, but went down to ~16 for the following couple nights.  I also have the problem of two young children getting into my bed on a nightly basis, disturbing my sleep.  Last night, my four year old was squeezing against me and I just gave up around 4:45am.

I think the high AHI was from me sleeping on my back and then I switched to sleeping on my sides, which I did before the CPAP anyways.  But I still have a regular pillow and it's been a little uncomfortable with the nasal mask.

I do feel like I'm getting a deeper sleep, and I'm feeling a little more rested, but I'm still not there yet.

Sometimes I've woken up with the Auto CPAP on a higher pressure than I'm used to and it doesn't feel like it's lowering the pressure as much when I breathe out.  Or that it's reversed and is lowering the pressure when I try to breathe in and rising it when I breathe out.  It's odd.

I'd appreciate anyone taking a look at this data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 4th night data
Have you done a sleep study before starting CPAP and do you have the results?

It's important to know if you had central sleep apneas before starting the treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did a home sleep study. They didn't mention anything about central apneas. I'll make sure to ask my sleep doctor about them. I don't have the results. Just that I had an AHI of ~20. It seemed to be a "yep, you have sleep apena. Now go to this room in the hospital where the DME guy will talk to you for a bit and then he'll bring you back here and I'll make a prescription."

It seemed a little sketchy, but I didn't have enough information to know what to ask or what my options were.
Post Reply Post Reply
Half of your event are central not obstructive according to your report (the Clear Airways line under the AHI value). It's important to know if you had these before or if you are dealing with treatment emergent Central Apnea which can go away as your body adapts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will chime in with this regarding my own experience. I only have mild to moderate apnea with AHI of 5.3 and RDI of 18.1. I get lots of RERA's and also obstructive apnea. I do not have central sleep apnea. I have had an in-lab study and also a home sleep study. Both were negative for central sleep apnea.

From my own experience, there are variables. If my pressure is set too high, it will literally give me central apneas that show up on my machine. There are probably others who know more about it than me, but it appears to be tricky. Say that I set my starting pressure at 6.0 and set the minimum pressure (the pressure that it will go to automatically after it thinks I'm asleep) to like 7  or 8 and then set my max to 10....I'll get central apneas showing up.

I know that my max pressure needed is 9, so I set it right at that. That's the max that I have ever seen it go up to over a month and a half. In my personal case, setting my starting pressure at 5.6 and making my minimum pressure also 5.6...I get 0.0 central apneas. So yes, it appears that having pressure up too high on a regular basis can cause central apneas even if you don't have central sleep apnea.

I agree...did your previous results show central sleep apnea? That's important because your settings may be giving you those as a result of being too high if you don't have it. Likewise, if you do have it, adjustments still need to be made.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2019, 05:59 PM)jmr1068204 Wrote: I will chime in with this regarding my own experience. I only have mild to moderate apnea with AHI of 5.3 and RDI of 18.1. I get lots of RERA's and also obstructive apnea. I do not have central sleep apnea. I have had an in-lab study and also a home sleep study. Both were negative for central sleep apnea.

From my own experience, there are variables. If my pressure is set too high, it will literally give me central apneas that show up on my machine. There are probably others who know more about it than me, but it appears to be tricky. Say that I set my starting pressure at 6.0 and set the minimum pressure (the pressure that it will go to automatically after it thinks I'm asleep) to like 7  or 8 and then set my max to 10....I'll get central apneas showing up.

I know that my max pressure needed is 9, so I set it right at that. That's the max that I have ever seen it go up to over a month and a half. In my personal case, setting my starting pressure at 5.6 and making my minimum pressure also 5.6...I get 0.0 central apneas. So yes, it appears that having pressure up too high on a regular basis can cause central apneas even if you don't have central sleep apnea.

I agree...did your previous results show central sleep apnea? That's important because your settings may be giving you those as a result of being too high if you don't have it. Likewise, if you do have it, adjustments still need to be made.

Yes high pressure may be a reason why you develop treatment induced central sleep apnea but there are other culprits. EPR and FLEX settings are common ones. Some people just don't tolerate variable pressure (APAP) that well and do better on a fixed pressure (CPAP). Lot of times it just goes away on its own without any change. Your body just need time to adapt to the therapy.

But you need to know if you had central apnea prior to starting CPAP therapy. So try to talk to your doctor to see if you had it before and give it a few days to see if it gets better. Then if you are still experiencing lot of central events, post your results again and people can help you out figuring what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have central apnea and it didn't show up on either my in-lab or home sleep study.

I simply saw it when I first set my pressure too high when learning what my settings should be on my Air Sense 10.

Now I get 0.0 for centrals. It made me wonder if the OP might have the same issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest trying to reduce flex to see if it will reduce your centrals
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,557 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  My first full night of OSCAR data. How am I looking? frigid 6 788 08-18-2023, 02:28 PM
Last Post: frigid
  No SD Card anyway to get last night's data jerrykur 2 467 08-01-2023, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jerrykur
  [Diagnosis] Last Night's Data arkona12 0 294 07-31-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: arkona12
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Record full night of SpO2 data from smartwatches ? BillSteamshovel 4 583 06-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.