Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FYI A surgurical experience
RE: FYI A surgurical experience
I had two minor surgeries last year and was told to bring my Cpap, and have a family member hold onto it in case it was needed in recovery. Turned out, I didn't need it.

It's also smart to have a family member or friend know how to set up your Cpap and how to place and fit your mask.

Better to be prepared if you need to use it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had my back surgery several years ago, I asked about my CPAP and OSA and told to bring my mask and not my machine as the hospital would provide it. Gas passer didn't think there would be an issue as I was going to be face down and they would be watching during the short time I would be out. When the RT looked at my mask he said we don't have any way to hook it up to our machine as we don't have the correct adaptor. Their "fix" was to put a remote O2 sensor on my finger and if it dropped below a predetermined level, they would go from there. The surgeon wanted me to be more or less in a reclining position as it was better for the drain he installed. I was awake for pretty much most of the night I was there. First night home, I was back on my machine.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
A little more than a year ago I was hospitalized for low blood sodium. I told the ER doctor that I had sleep apnea and could my husband bring my cpap machine from home? He said "No", my husband didn't need to bring my machine as they have cpap machines in the hospital. When nighttime came and the RT therapist brought the hospital's machine, it was a straight pressure machine and not one like I have at home. I was not able to use their machine and the RT therapist signed a consent form for my husband to bring me my cpap machine from home. If the hospital says they have cpap machines, do ask them if their machines can be adjusted to whatever your settings are at home?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm 9 weeks past a triple bypass open heart surgery. Struggled terribly to sleep in the post op (didn't sleep for 4 days & went half delusional), and have struggled since too. I just started cpap and am hoping for the best.

As I like to poke around online, I ran across the following cpap research paper re cpap for open heart. Sorry, I am new so can't post the link.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Postoperative Complications in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery: A Need for Preventive Strategies

This thread made me think of it, so thought I would share.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4274552/

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 455 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 155 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 570 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,649 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Somnics iNAP experience after 1 week joshielevy 12 5,551 07-19-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 535 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how jz68 5 1,059 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.