Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

5 Days Using and Still Waking Up Every 2 Hrs...
Question 
5 Days Using and Still Waking Up Every 2 Hrs...
Hi I'm A 58 Year Old Woman with high blood pressure and  New To This all the way around, Forums and the CPAP Machine, I'm going on my 6 th night Tonight.... I'm listing all my info In hopes someone can give me some insight or encouraging words...lol...
Wed. 2-1 AHI 2.9 Usage 9:10 hrs Mask 100% Clear Apneas 8, Obstr 5 ,Hypopneas 14
Thur. 2-2 Ahi 5.0 usage 7:55hr, Mask 100% , Clear 11, Obstr 7, Hypo 14
Fri. 2-3 AHI 4.4 usage 7:03hr ,Mask 100%,Clear 7, Obstr 4, Hypopneas 20
Sat. 2-4 , AHI 2.9 usage 7:34hr, Mask 100% Clear 15, Obst3, Hypopneas 5
Sun 2-5 AHI 1.7 usage 7:34 , Mask 100% Clear 8 , Obstr 4, Hypopneas 1 
Machine Dream Station, bloothtooth data to DreamMapper with full face mask 
On number 13 his pressure with 4 to begin, and 3 for heat...after a week why am I still awake every 2 hrs? Anyone......Many Thanks..
Roxxy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 5 Days Using and Still Waking Up Every 2 Hrs...
Hi Roxxy, welcome to Apnea Board.

Your initial figures look pretty good - there's room for improvement but for the first week it's not bad at all. Especially the fact that you're getting in long hours on the hose, despite your waking-up problem.

It's not unusual to wake up frequently at first. After all you're learning a completely new way to breathe with a compressor blowing air up your nose and a plastic alien strapped to your face!  Shock  After a while it should settle down a bit and you'll be able to sleep through. In the meantime you might want to check that your mask fits properly and is comfortable. The straps shouldn't be too tight, but the mask shouldn't leak air, either. If you have a bed partner, ask them if your mask is making "face fart" noises or other sounds which indicate a leak. Also, confirm that it's not blowing up the side of your nose into your eyes. Finally, make sure that your hose is arranged so it doesn't snag up if you roll over or move around in bed.

Good luck with your therapy - these teething problems usually work themselves out pretty quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You Deep Breathing for your response, You make me feel better and made me laugh about the alien mask...ya I do feel like one, according to your post I'm doing all I should then, I guess I just need to give it time...Thanks for the reassurance .Have A Great Day, Roxxy
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roxxy. Looks like you're off to a good start. If you have a PC or Mac computer, you will want to download the free #Sleepyhead software. Members that share screenshots of their data can get a lot of very specific help on the forum. The links in my signature show how to organize, post and interpret that information.

On your profile, you list Dreamstation, but the number you show is a serial that you should delete. Your Dreamstation is either an Auto (model 500), Pro (model 400) or CPAP (Model 200). It would help if you showed which one. You're currently on fixed pressure of 13 with a starting ramp pressure of 4. If you feel a bit air-starved on startup, that ramp pressure can be increased. Most people are comfortable with higher starting pressures of 6-8 cmH2O. Welcome and good luck
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am coming up on one year as a hose head.  It took a few months for my sleep patterns to transition to longer and longer periods of sleep between wakeups.  It is still an on-going process.  As others have said, you are doing well.  Relax and allow yourself time to adjust.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roxxy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, so just stick with it, it does get better over time.
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Roxxy
Just a quick check - do you sleep on your back, your side, or your stomach? Sleep position may affect the number of apneas. Obstructive apneas may be much greater sleeping on your back (they are for me!). If you're a back sleeper, test sleeping on your side for several nights to see what changes. A bolstering pillow, such as a body pillow, pregnancy pillow, or reading wedge may help you stay on your side if you are unaccustomed to it.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You, for easing my mind, I'm just going to take it one day at a time, Thank you all for responding to me I appreciate all of you inputs...Happy Sleeping with the Alien...Sincerly Roxann
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me about two years to get to 6-7 hours sleep without waking. Keep using your cpap.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
And even if you ARE a back sleeper, cpap is still possible. I get horrible shoulder and neck cramps if I sleep on my side. So, flat on my back it is. CPAP still works wonderfully.

Within the last 6 months, my nose has been clogging up when I lay down (more than it always did). I've added an 8" high wedge pillow, so that I'm not laying flat, even though I'm still on my back. It's been a huge help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 4 81 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 286 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 307 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.