Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

5 Days Using and Still Waking Up Every 2 Hrs...
RE: 5 Days Using and Still Waking Up Every 2 Hrs...
Thanks for the message of wisdom, I'm actually a side sleeper and I have positioned the mask so it's not to uncomfortable, I did sleep better the last 2 nights knowing I'm ok and that you don't sleep through the night right off the bat..and it's going to take some time to get used to...I find myself not waking up totally now as I did with out it, I'm awake to think oh your awake but then back off I go . I m really trying to accept this is what I need ....Thanks everyone.      Roxann
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using my Pap machine since September 2015. It was about 6 weeks before I started sleeping better--had a hard time getting to sleep because of the sound of my own breathing. I started taking Melatonin on doctor's suggestion and I use an earplug in my topside ear--and went back to sleeping on my side. Things did improve, but I still wake up a coupe of times a night. It is usually a positional problem--two bad shoulders and a bad back. A slight shift and I'm back to sleep right away. I also have really dry mouth problems despite having very low leak levels according the SH, and if my throat get dry it will wake me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see that my earlier reply forgot to mention:  keep the hose away from your ear.  That's my own biggest cause of hearing my breathing. YMMV  (your mileage may vary) of course, but that's one thing to consider.    I'm glad to hear it's getting a little better!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2017, 09:06 AM)Roxxy Wrote: Hi I'm A 58 Year Old Woman with high blood pressure and  New To This all the way around, Forums and the CPAP Machine, I'm going on my 6 th night Tonight.... I'm listing all my info In hopes someone can give me some insight or encouraging words...lol...
Wed. 2-1 AHI 2.9 Usage 9:10 hrs Mask 100% Clear Apneas 8, Obstr 5 ,Hypopneas 14
Thur. 2-2 Ahi 5.0 usage 7:55hr, Mask 100% , Clear 11, Obstr 7, Hypo 14
Fri. 2-3 AHI 4.4 usage 7:03hr ,Mask 100%,Clear 7, Obstr 4, Hypopneas 20
Sat. 2-4 , AHI 2.9 usage 7:34hr, Mask 100% Clear 15, Obst3, Hypopneas 5
Sun 2-5 AHI 1.7 usage 7:34 , Mask 100% Clear 8 , Obstr 4, Hypopneas 1 
Machine Dream Station, bloothtooth data to DreamMapper with full face mask 
On number 13 his pressure with 4 to begin, and 3 for heat...after a week why am I still awake every 2 hrs? Anyone......Many Thanks..
Roxxy

Hi Roxxy,
              Deepbreathing gave you a good first response.
For it being your first week you are doing fine.  If you feel any dryness turn the humidifier up slightly.
Do not over tighten the mask, this can waken you and even cut the bridge of your nose, though the masks are not quite so bad these day for that.
Sometimes if the machine is an APAP and the pressure is set low and it goes quite high, this can waken you when it changes pressure to the higher setting when you have an event.  If after a month you are still waking, keep this in mind, it might be worth raising the lower pressure slightly.
On the whole you are doing fine.   We are not born like Darth Vader.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using CPAP since April and I still seldom sleep more than 4 hours before waking up even during nights with <0.5 AHI. I no longer have urgency to use the bathroom where I use to though and can usually go right back to sleep whereas before I had to go to the bathroom first often 3-4 times a night.

Pretty much the only times I've slept a straight 8 hours without waking was when I was on opioids/narcotics for post-surgery pain or when I stay up for 20-22 hours playing videogames and then sleep.

Also a note about sleeping positions: when I first started CPAP therapy I assumed it was not viable or even possible to sleep on my stomach with a full face mask - and I use the large size. But it turns out it's doable as long as the top pillow (I sleep with four head pillows) is not too firm. I put one arm under the bottom most pillow and the other two levels up from the bottom pillow under the top most pillow. Just in case you prefer prone/stomach to side sleeping. The hose can be tricky when sleeping on stomach though with an FFM in my experience. Gotta route it behind the pillow so that it isn't behind your arm otherwise when you pull your arm away you might yank the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 389 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 256 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 190 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 302 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.