Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

5 Days in and having trouble with Compliance
RE: 5 Days in and having trouble with Compliance
Request your clinician manual from the links on this site. Then you can get in and fix things. Sounds like you are on straight CPAP, not Auto. Hold the two buttons (knob and home) together for 3-5 seconds. That accesses the new world of clinician settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ross

On my machine when I look at the My Options menu, I see two settings:

.. Climate Ctrl
.. Tube Temp

I don't see a humidity level unless I change Climate Ctrl from Auto to Manual. Then a new line shows up with Humidity level. I normally keep that on Auto so I don't mess with humidity setting.

Just below Climate Ctrl is Tube Temp. That sets the air temp in the hose. It's possible if you don't have the heated hose that this setting doesn't show up on your options menu.

Actually I just tried something to confirm this... when I unplug the heated hose from the machine, the options menu changed to only show Humidity Level and the Climate Ctrl/Tube Temp lines disappeared. When I plugged the hose back in, the options menu went back to what I described above.

That probably explains why you don't see the temperature setting.

As for the pressure range, those settings are on the "clinical menu". You can obtain a download of the clinical manual for the machine by clicking on the link at the top of the page and following the instructions.

Here's a copy of that link pasted here from above: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

There's a secret handshake you have to know that opens the clinical menu. From there you have access to all sorts of setup options including constant versus auto adjusting mode and range of pressures. I have never seen this handshake described in the forum up to now (I am fairly new) so that's all I will say about it here. Except that it's easy enough that some people have figured it out on their own (not me) and you can obtain your softcopy of the clinical manual for free upon request within about 15 minutes by following the directions.

I see you are a member since 2013 so you are way more experienced than I am with CPAP therapy and you probably have a pretty good idea of whether you are happy with the current results at the constant pressure setting or if you want to experiment to improve your results.

What you may not have is good data to help you make decisions. Don't know what your previous machine was, but with the new one you have the capability to capture and review a lot of data that can help you make decisions on pressures. Definitely recommend you get SleepyHead or ResScan (or both) and start tracking your data.

It's a good idea to not change anything until you have some data to work with, then once you have collected a bunch of data you will be able to review it in Sleepyhead/ResScan and/or ask for help to understand what sort of tweaks make sense to try an improve your results further. Or worst case you have lots of good info for your sleep doc to review if you don't want to mess with it.

hth

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 09:47 AM)Ross Wrote: I’ve reduced the humidity setting from 4 to 3, but I can’t find a way to adjust the air temp, which seems a bit warm to me. Can anyone help with this? (Actually, by oversight, the first night I put no water in the tub, and I preferred that, so I may try that again.)

You may not have a ClimateLine heated hose on your unit.

This is an effort to try and describe how to identify the hose type. Look at the connection at the CPAP. A ClimateLine hose will have different connector ends on the hose, as opposed to, a normal hose which will have the same style connector on each end. The ClimateLine will have electrical contacts on the CPAP side. Now that I've made as clear as mud, you should be good to go.

(05-23-2015, 09:47 AM)Ross Wrote: I also notice that most posters show a pressure range, whereas my unit shows a pressure of 7.1, and I see no way to change this, although I’m inclined to leave that as is without input from my doc or supplier.

If you have an Autoset model it can act as a straight CPAP with a single pressure level or it can be setup to allow for a pressure range. Setting a pressure range allows the device to work in an auto titration mode, using the best pressure for your sleeping conditions.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 09:47 AM)Ross Wrote: I’ve reduced the humidity setting from 4 to 3, but I can’t find a way to adjust the air temp, which seems a bit warm to me.

There is no direct way to control air temperature.

The humidifier is an electric heating element that heats the water in the tank. The warmer the water, the higher the humidity level. You're breathing that heated-moist air that passes through the warmed water in the humidifier. The heater in the hose serves to evaporate any water that collects there you you don't get "rainout" and further warms the air.

I set my Tube Temp on 80F and Climate Control on Auto. You have your Climate Control on Manual and the humidity level set to 3. If you turn the humidity level to "Off", the heater in the humidifier is disabled and you'll be breathing room temperature air that has passed over the water in the humidifier tank that will also be room temperature. If that humidity level is OK for you, by all means disable the electric heating element in the humidifier.

I only turn the humidifier and hose heaters off if I'm running on battery power since they're both big power drains. I get massive cotton mouth in the winter if I use the machine without humidification.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 11:53 AM)sgearhart Wrote: If you have an Autoset model it can act as a straight CPAP with a single pressure level or it can be setup to allow for a pressure range. Setting a pressure range allows the device to work in an auto titration mode, using the best pressure for your sleeping conditions.

and you control that from the clinician menu. You get to that by pushing in the round knob and the bottom button simultaneously for about 5 seconds.

My first DME had a purple snit if I changed my settings (in consultation with the sleep center) without making sure the DME received an updated Rx with the new pressure settings. Every doctor and Durable Medical Equipment supplier is different. Some will have no issue with you changing settings on your own. Some will insist that you will kill yourself or invalidate your insurance if you do it. Most are somewhere in the middle. I found it was simplest to call the sleep center, consult with them about changing a setting before changing it, and asking them to FAX the new Rx to my DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the help.

I guess I have a straight CPAP, not Auto—I don’t have Climate Ctr or Tube Temp in my Options menu. I take it that that can be changed if I get the clinical manual. ResMed said I have to get my account # from my DME to get the manual, so that will have to wait until Tuesday. I will also ask why the model # on the CPAP rental agreement is different from the one on the unit!

Although I’ve been a member since 2013, I discontinued use of my first CPAP after 6 weeks, so I’m really a newby. My previous doctor provided virtually no information/guidance; I didn’t learn until 6 months after discontinuance that the CPAP could and had supplied data to him that hadn’t been shared with me.

Based on Sgearhart’s description I do not have the ClimateLine heated hose. Lacking that, and prior to getting the clinician manual, can I still (as GeoffD suggests) turn the humidity level to “off” while still getting humidification (with room temperature air)?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get the clinician manual from the links at the top of this page. It will tell you how to change the humidity settings, and all great things.

Your sidebar says you have an Airsense 10 Autoset? If that's true then it's a simple setting in the clinician menu to change it from CPAP to APAP if that's what you want to do. It is common for docs and dme's to provide machines fully data capable but then dummy them down to straight cpap.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,857 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 242 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 456 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 420 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 338 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.