Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

5 Months with little change
5 Months with little change
Hey all! I've been using my ResMed Airsense 10 for about 5 months now, but am feeling minimal effects. I hoped giving it more time would work, but I'm kinda over wearing a vaguely uncomfortable thing on my face without any benefit. I'm hoping it's something in my settings that can be tweaked to give me better sleep. 

I did my sleep study through Lofta and these were the basic results: 
RDI: 25.3/hr
AHI: 22.4/hr
Min O2 desaturation: 88

I've attached my Oscar stats since I've started using the machine, as well as a typical night and an example of my CA events. 

Basically, I wake up every morning feeling exhausted, I can barely get myself out of bed, and I take frequent naps (at least one a day). I have the tiniest bit more motivation since starting, but mostly I feel the same as before I got the CPAP. Does anyone have any advice to tweak my settings to start getting better sleep?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 5 Months with little change
Do you have the actual sleep test that you can post here? Did the test show Centrals?

In the meantime, you should try moving the minimum pressure up to at least 7cm with a maximum at 12cm. Set EPR at 2 for now. Repost after a couple days. We can adjust from there.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response! I used the settings you recommended last night and tolerated it better than I expected. I'll update how I feel in a couple more days. 

As for my sleep study, all they gave me was their analysis of the data and a diagnosis. Nothing detailed like central or obstructed. I don't think the equipment I was given could even differentiate.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with all the specific parts in the Lofta tests, but if you had to wear Velcro effort belt(s) across your chest and abdomen, then Central Apnea should be measured and listed. You'd likely be best to take action and call the doctor's office that ordered the test. Request that office to give you a detailed copy of the test report. If they happen to claim you don't need it for whatever reason, mention HIPAA law permits you to request and receive it. Once you get that report, post a redacted copy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my fear. Your AHI and RDI are much worse and it has been 5 months. Do you feel like your start pressure is high enough for your Median?
Post Reply Post Reply
There definitely wasn't any velcro involved, it was a watchpat at-home test. I did request the clinical report and I'll attach what they sent me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
So it's been a couple week. My AHI has gone down to 1.28 average, but I'm still feeling pretty bad. I've been swallowing a lot of air and waking up from oral venting. I'm definitely not feeling more energy.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you are a mouth breather. Or your mouth is just dropping open, maybe due to congestion?
Does any of this apply?

Let's see an updated chart.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think so, I have to wake up to open my mouth and vent the air. I've also tried mouth taping and it makes no difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
By venting air, are you speaking of burping air from your stomach? If so, that sounds like aerophagia - literally 'eating air'. The usual relief is to lower the maximum pressure. In your case, I would suggest increasing your minimum pressure to 6 cm H2O so you have less variation in pressure. This may reduce your centrals as well as the aerophagia.

Keep posting charts from time to time.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,641 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 481 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 289 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 668 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.