Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

5 years ago ResMed released AirCurve 10...what now?
5 years ago ResMed released AirCurve 10...what now?
I wonder what a new machine would do differently. It seems like there aren’t that many technological advances anymore. I wonder if they will end up doing anything at all except maybe a newer travel machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 5 years ago ResMed released AirCurve 10...what now?
I got a prescription for my first bilevel a few months ago, but decided to wait to see on Resmed before using it after getting a too-good-to-pass-up deal on a barely used vauto.

I'd like in theory to see variable pressure support, a la respironics, and maybe to add a different algorithm or two, a la the one in the "for her" CPAP model.

But the vauto doesn't leave much to be desired for sure.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed AirCurve 11 ASV brings pressures of 1 - 2 PSI / 70.307 - 140.614 cmH2O, yeah you will not hold your breath on this, YOU WILL BREATHE!
hoseless, maskless apnea therapy with built-in coffee carafe...Coffee

this is only Dave sarcasmish, happy New Year
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess is better travel machines and continuing to reduce size of machines.

Maybe adding more functionality to APAP units bringing them up closer to a VAuto. Things like allowing for higher EPR/PS, trigger sensitivity, TiControl etc. These for most part seem like programming differences to me so I could see it happening, maybe there is an equipment issue that limits the amount of EPR/PS though.

VAuto already seems to be a pretty good unit, not sure what exactly they could do with it that wouldn't step it into an obviously different category. For example an option for backup rate or variable pressure support like Slowriter said. Both of these could be advantageous but start making it more similar to an ASV.

ASV is already better then I thought it would be but probably still a bit of room for algorithm refinement. Possibly different algorithms for people that are more sensitive to the pressure increases etc.

Masks will likely continue to improve as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last I checked they were in a joint venture with Verily(the life sciences subsidiary of Alphabet..parent of Google).

The last financial briefing for Resmed pointed out that Saas(software as a service) was a expected to be growing part of their future revenue stream.

Imagine a sleep doctor getting a list of 'flagged' Cpap units..something like everyone whose AHI has gone up by more than 2 in the last month. 'This is Dr Jones's office, we've noticed your AHI is a little high..we think you should come in for a chat...that will be $130...thank you very much'.  
Just like the blood thinner cash cow.
This is Cpap mask sales...we've noticed your leak rate has gone up a little...maybe we should chat about getting you a new mask...that will be $109 thank you. but the Dr doesn't need to 
I'm sure some people will be happy to pay $19.95/month for monitoring just like they pay with their home security systems and 1st alert call buttons.

Google is the world's largest marketing company. 
Google's business model is to give you free stuff(maps,internet searching) so they can learn enough about you to charge people selling stuff for targeted marketing.
My email inbox is filled with special offers for an 'AirStart' Cpap machine for less than $200 new.(Apparently it's Resmed's best selling model).
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I have a feeling the devices will continue to get "smarter" which in all reality probably means the data being harder to access by the actual user of the device.

These manufacturers like to believe (or just don't give a crap) that intelligent physicians out there are examining the data with a fine tooth comb and providing actual assistance.

When I speak to a doctor about bi-level therapy it's like their brain explodes. And this is board certified MD's in sleep medicine and pulmonology. It makes me wonder what the hell they even learn in school.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medical school 101 is how to scribble illegible gibberish on small squares of paper that surprisingly the pharmacist can read instantly. Not sure if they actually discuss or teach listening to patients, but a few learn it on their own accidentally.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They may just reskin the units to be able to have a new model. I think we will see the improvements in access to data and connectivity - think more info in MyAir, more data sent to providers, less sd cards.

Resmed cannot really change the model line up without losing revenue.

Resmed also seems to be worried about some big bid coming up in a couple years which may impact pricing for Medicare units. I believe this is 2021. They may come up with even dumber units then to lower the pricepoint.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would hope at some point they would move into the 21st Century and incorporate Bluetooth BPM and accelerometer data, similar to what FitBit is doing, only better. I would especially like to see BPM data as a graph chart in OSCAR. The light weight wrist bands are already available.

BPM, Accelerometer and Breathing data combined gives a better picture of probable sleep stages the user is likely to be moving in and out of.

I would not be surprised if the OSCAR Team is not already looking into, hopefully, in the near future toward expecting additions like this.

Coffee
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>I would not be surprised if the OSCAR Team is not already looking into

I would be - there's already enough to figure out with the old stuff
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 560 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,494 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 206 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,234 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.