Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

5 years ago ResMed released AirCurve 10...what now?
RE: 5 years ago ResMed released AirCurve 10...what now?
(02-13-2020, 04:29 PM)pholynyk Wrote: >>>I would not be surprised if the OSCAR Team is not already looking into

I would be - there's already enough to figure out with the old stuff

Yea, your right, but maybe some day?...I can but Fantasize...LOL
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
The real problem with getting these innovations realized is that CPAP manufacturers are still looking at DME's as their customers. Once they start looking at us as the customer, then we will see some real innovations.

Things are changing. Just less than 9 years ago I got my first CPAP machine and joined this board. In that time the quality of information and help available here has grown tremendously. There were things like why too much pressure support can cause an elevated CA index that no one here knew, and now it's virtually common knowledge.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
the times they are a-changin'

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Prescription items are always going to have some inertia implementing innovative features that are not directly related to the core, intended purpose of the device. I think it is more likely that Resmed would sell accessories like sleep position monitors at very high prices, like the oximeter. Resmed has broken new ground by integrating the humidifier to achieve a more compact form-factor and modern design. I'm happy they also include an outstanding travel case as compared to the formless bag a Philips Dreamstation uses. These machines are evolutionary when they update, and seem to continue the same features and algorithms as the prior generation. You can go back to the S8 and see that the S10 series are not radically different in how they function.

Even less innovative is Philips. The therapy algorithms go back at least 20 years with very minor changes and the form-factor is a clunky 2 piece blower/humidifier. They have become a bit more streamlined over the M-Series and Series One, but the machines are not much different and there are practically no features targeted at the end user...they don't even have a settable clock.

I think the odds of Resmed incorporating some concessions to the end user is greater than for Philips. Fischer Paykel has used more compact form factors and look like an alarm clock, but they are not as widely adopted. The various Chinese entries are basically clones of older generation Resmed and Philips machines, and I expect that they may introduce a lot of innovation in the near future to increase market share. I don't think the Chinese can be ignored. With their much lower price-point this segment could pressure the market to lower prices and more end-user targeted features if they begin to incorporate some innovation and design. Up to now, they are unimpressive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AirSense 10 was released on Aug. 18, 2014 and still selling great. Which other technological product is still selling identical hardware and almost identical software for more than five years? ResMed is making tons of money and doesn't seem to need fast innovation.
For our benefit, I hope someone distrupts this.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as innovations in CPAP industry, from my perspective, machines like the AirCurve family are already more advanced than what is needed for the average user. That is especially true if you discount the special needs users, which, are becoming in the minority.

PR has machines that mirror or immaculate ResMed machines.

The Bluetooth BPM and accelerometer data I spoke about earlier is on the way and I could also easily see body temperature included.

By adding another strap across the forehead (best place for it also) this data would be collected. Or, the wrist approach may continue to be used.

The industry might create this as a stand alone at first where the data is collected separately or outside of the machine data, but collecting/offering it to medical professionals is needed.

Sleep quality is becoming accepted as a real health concern as opposed to only increasing SP02.

Obviously, 5 years ago, ResMed saw this with the advent of the EasyBreath system (That really does work). I have been on a PR Fixed BiPap and have been experimenting with a AirCurve 10 VAuto and that is like going from a flip phone to a smartphone.

Now, people are going outside the CPAP makers to 3rd party providers of BPM, SP02 and accelerometer data that is not specifically designed for CPAP users. I can see that changing.

Coffee
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,499 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,239 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.