Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

5 years on cpap, no improvement. getting desperate for some help.
RE: 5 years on cpap, no improvement. getting desperate for some help.
keep it in the back of your mind if pap settings don't work it out. the screenshot looks fairly periodic & is similar to my plm pattern, which I've also seen in the charts of others with plm. are you tired during the day? do you wake up more than occasionally for no obvious reason during the night?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2020, 03:26 PM)sheepless Wrote: keep it in the back of your mind if pap settings don't work it out. the screenshot looks fairly periodic & is similar to my plm pattern, which I've also seen in the charts of others with plm. are you tired during the day? do you wake up more than occasionally for no obvious reason during the night?

yes to both. actually one of my main issues was waking up about 3-4 hours in and then throwing the mask off to go back to sleep. i noticed i had bad dry mouth so added xylimelt and that has improved that, but it happened again last night about 4 hours in, and data wise the best night i've had, i managed to stick with it and go back to sleep with the mask for the first time ever but it's still weird just waking up like that. without the cpap it wouldn't happen to me.

did you do anything to improve it?
Post Reply Post Reply
not enough improvement but meds reduce plm & I cap max ipap because the machines (resmed; idk about other brands) ineffectively increase pressure against the flow limited breaths between spikey inhales triggered by movements. that's my theory anyway. I continue to wake far too often, which I attribute to residual plm & associated flow limitations & leaks. obviously, fatigue & fragmented sleep aren't definitive and can be caused by many things but there's enough in your chart & description to be suspicious of plm despite not showing up in your sleep test. btw, it's useful to know if plm isn't itemized vs reported to be zero. if you haven't already, dig deep beyond the summary they usually provide us. summaries often omit important info. also, plm can be quite inconsistent so it's possible that it isn't picked up on the night of the test. otoh, it might not be plm at all. reports from witnesses & audio & video recordings are the primary means I know of for identifying plm at home. a few savvy folks have used accelerometers & the like too. there have been recent posts about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
well ive got the resmed autoset and after a week of using it same issue. waking up around 4 hours. doc even gave me extended release ambien to try this time. no change. i want to use this thing all night so bad but i'm out of ideas. i even solved any dry mouth with the xylimelts and the new machines humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post a daily screenshot of OSCAR (F12).
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
it's actually pretty interesting, with the new machine my ahi is lower, and my pressure is staying lower. there are some leaks every night, machine is giving me a good mask seal rating, i assume it's where i press my face into the pillow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I would nix the 45 minute Ramp at 5 cmH20. That's 45 minutes of no therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2020, 10:41 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I would nix the 45 minute Ramp at 5 cmH20. That's 45 minutes of no therapy.

will do. actually makes me wonder about the settings in general, when i got it was set to slimline tubing but i had a regular heated tube so it was blowing my face off, thankfully i had a slim laying around.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it should have a tube setting somewhere. It should also auto detect heated tubes as I recall.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limits are high when you have mask leaks. That can cause waking you up. So fixing leaks is a good thing to work on.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 81 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 543 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.