Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

6 Hours On, 2 Hours Off
Smile 
6 Hours On, 2 Hours Off
Hi. I was never planning this, but in the past week and a half or so, the following has occurred, for whatever reason. After around 6 hrs, I've been removing the mask (usually I think after getting up to pee). Then I sleep another coupla hrs, sans mask. The big difference is I can then lie in my VERY  fave sleep positions which I can't do in my FFM.  I do need around 8 hrs. sleep. 
I know slleping AT ALL without mask is not recommended but I've been feeling more rested than ever after doing this  . A big Knock Wood on this, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 6 Hours On, 2 Hours Off
In the beginning, I did some of that, too.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you thought about an alternative mask for that time period? Of course, with a FFM only the Sleepweaver one comes to mind, but it would maybe be a better choice than going without.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are not the only one HK, I am lucky if I get four hours sleep with the mask on, when I wake I take the mask off in the hope that I will get another 2-3 hours so called unprotected sleep.

As you say, you probably get a better sleep as you can relax in the position that suits you without the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am guilty of doing it too. While in the very beginning, for me it was roughly 50/50, now I definitely spend more time with mask on. However, for the same reasons you mention, I still prefer to take the mask off for the final 2 hours of sleep. So much easier to move around.

My total sleep time is usually about 7 hours. I believe that 5 hours with mask and 2 hours without it is still better than no therapy at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I must be one of the lucky few that never did this, I know a lot that does.
My old Sleep Doc used to say that if you got 5 to 6 hrs sleep with a mask on at the start you were doing well.
But he also used to say, make every effort to put it back on when you get up for a pee or wake up and fine it off.
He also used to say that if you find it on the floor when you wake up, put it back on for five minutes before you get up.
He reckoned it helped you accept the mask being on your face.

I think you are better just sitting at night with the mask on your face, with the hose disconnected while you watch TV or read.
If you really struggle, you can then sit with the machine connected till you get used to it.

However, you are not the first to take off the mask and even leave the machine running with the mask on the floor.
If you get up, try putting it back on, reduce the time you allow yourself to go without the mask each time.
It is mostly the case of "It is going to work for me" that wins through.

However, I know of a couple that after 5 or more years are still doing it, they survive on it, getting enough good sleep on the 5 to 6 hours they keep the mask on. As long as you feel refreshed for now, but do try to keep it on.

Good luck with your treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks, sleep2s
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 on this.

When I first started with the CPAP, I might get half a night of therapy. The next thing was that during the summer, I generally wouldn't use the CPAP, or alternatively I might get an hour of sleep with it and then take it off. In the winter, I tended to use it every night and most of the night. That has gradually changed over the years, and nowadays I use it every night - although on some nights I'll get in bed and almost instantly conk out (and forget to put it on).

With all of that said, there are mornings where I wake up and the mask (and machine) is off. When this happens, I usually don't remember taking it off overnight.

Traveling is kind of a mild PITA, so I will take the CPAP along sometimes (but not all of the time) depending on the duration of the trip.

When I use my travel trailer, I generally don't use the CPAP (but I did read a thread here about how to use the CPAP when the grid is down ... I'm going to followup on that!).

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2017, 06:00 AM)dosco Wrote: +1 on this.

When I first started with the CPAP, I might get half a night of therapy. The next thing was that during the summer, I generally wouldn't use the CPAP, or alternatively I might get an hour of sleep with it and then take it off. In the winter, I tended to use it every night and most of the night. That has gradually changed over the years, and nowadays I use it every night - although on some nights I'll get in bed and almost instantly conk out (and forget to put it on).

With all of that said, there are mornings where I wake up and the mask (and machine) is off. When this happens, I usually don't remember taking it off overnight.

Traveling is kind of a mild PITA, so I will take the CPAP along sometimes (but not all of the time) depending on the duration of the trip.

When I use my travel trailer, I generally don't use the CPAP (but I did read a thread here about how to use the CPAP when the grid is down ... I'm going to followup on that!).

-Dave

Hi Dave,
            I just couldn't do that.  I can survive without my machine if I have no power for a few hours, but if the power went down or I was away from the mains I would have to run it on 12V DC.  I was once caught on a Coach in the snow and I couldn't use my machine.  I sat and dozed on the seat, but it was not the best night I have had.  The coach had sill line heating, so we were warm enough, but I didn't do that well without the machine.  To make matters worse we had crossed on a ferry and had been travelling all day, so I was tired anyway.  We still had a day travelling the next day, I was so glad to see my bed and get plugged in.   Oh-jeez Best sleep I ever had  when my head hit the pillow.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I do the same. Can only sleep for about 4 hours with the mask on, and then I tend to finish the night without it. I guess even 4 hours of proper sleep is better than nothing.

As an interesting fact, according to my Jawbone device, I don't seem to have much REM sleep with the mask on, but do have without it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 471 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 277 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 492 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [CPAP] Consistently Waking Up After 3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 528 01-11-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.