Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

6 Weeks in and things are changing.
6 Weeks in and things are changing.
I started my papping journey in July and have managed from day 1 to sleep and wear the nasal mask for the full night. I am blessed in not requiring the services of the little room during the night so basically when I hit the pillow that is me done until it is time to get up.
My sleep study showed an AHI of 48 and since starting on the therapy it has never been above 3 so something must be working. I have downloaded and use the sleepyhead software and am starting to get an understanding of my treatment and settings. Over the last week I have seen an increase in major leaks and on one day got the red frowning face on the machine and sleepyhead also told me to contact my sleep person as I was having major leaks. I use a chin strap and do not wake up with a dry mouth.
The only thing that I have changed over the last two weeks is the pressure settings, going from 8 - 20 to 12-16. I made this change as the results were showing a median pressure of 12.5 and a 90% of 15.68.
Could the increase in leaks be related to the fact that I am getting used to the therapy and am now not waking up to the leaks or is it normal to experience large changes in leak rates over a short period of time?
I am not sure what to try and change to reduce the leaks as I cannot think of anything I am doing differently with the equipment.
I am feeling a little disappointed that this is happening as I was extremely happy with the results being achieved. May be this is just a case of 3 steps forward 1 step back.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 6 Weeks in and things are changing.
pretty typical with me also. I used to wake at every sound, now I sleep right through it. I got used to it. I used to not move around a lot and now I am back to "normal" moving. Give it some time. If it keeps it up try tightening it up a little, perhaps the min at 12 puts enough pressure consistently on the mask to start it leaking. You can try lowering the min pressure a little and see if you can get it to stop.

Once it stops, change the pressure back and see if it was just settling in to the new pressure. It may have stopped by itself rather than from reducing the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tassie Tone and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you are definitely on the right track and seeing progress from your xpap therapy. Good work, stay at it for continued success!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tassie tone,
What does you leak rate say on SleepyHead? Can you give us numbers?

Since you don't wake up with dry mouth, then that wouldn't be mouth breathing, it must be your mask.

When I tried the Dreamwear mask, I couldn't control leaks either. I move around too much and it wouldn't stay put.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tassie tone,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you have adjusted to your CPAP therapy, and that you have noticed improvements.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with OpalRose and PoolQ. Guessing since you jumped from 8 to 12, the additional pressure is manifesting itself as pillow leaks. More pressure equals more leaks so you'll need to adjust the fit of your current masks or change pillows or masks or both.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 49 852 03-25-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 131 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,488 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.