Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

6 days...when will I know?
Question 
6 days...when will I know?
Hello,

I am getting really frustrated, worried, and beginning to feel very hopeless. I have been using CPAP for 6 days now. I have not felt any type of improvement what so ever. Is this normal? Should I have seen some change by now? Is it because I have a "brick" CPAP and its not working?

Just a bit of my history in case you are not familiar. Recently diagnosed with OSA, and I just began treatment last week. My AHI and leak rates have been ok according to the limited data I have access to. More importantly, I am not really getting any decent sleep, as I average about 4 hours of sleep with frequent wakings. This was occurring prior to starting therapy, so that's not to blame.

I am suffering from major issues with my concentration, memory, and overall cognitive functioning. It's becoming harder and harder to do everything. Something as simple as this post has taken an enormous amount of concentration, required many revisions, and still lacks cohesiveness and clarity.

I am realistic and know I won't be totally healed and performing at my previous level this quicky, but I think I should be seeing some type of signs it's working. This is all just so upsetting and frustrating, from worrying about my lack of cognitive abilities, to now worrying that my POS brick is not providing me the necessary therapy.

Can someone help me here with some insight and or advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 6 days...when will I know?
Don't blame the machine. It will do its part if you do yours. Blame most of your problems on sleep deprivation.

Also, some people feel great swiftly, other's it takes time and patience.

Best wishes and don't give up.

What makes the machine a 'brick' is perhaps less data capability than others. But that does not mean that the machine is not doing its job.

I am trying to help you. I've read all of your posts on the forum. You appear in a somewhat desperate state. Consider getting some help from your physician with prescribed medication to get you over the hump. You need to calm down and also get more sleep with CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 04:35 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: Don't blame the machine. Blame most of your problems on sleep deprivation.

Best wishes,

Thank you Ted.
Post Reply Post Reply
mzdawn74,
Please read your other thread for responses. You have been given very sound advice on trying to get an Auto CPAP.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 04:38 PM)OpalRose Wrote: mzdawn74,
Please read your other thread for responses. You have been given very sound advice on trying to get an Auto CPAP.

I have and I will see how it goes next week with my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 04:40 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:

Just want to add that I fully understand being sleep deprived. Before I was on CPAP, I'm lucky if I sleep 2 hours a night.

Also, if you are not comfortable talking with your doct....is there someone that can go with you for support?

Good luck.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
mzdawn, the other thread has the best suggestions. It does take time to adjust and recover from the years of sleep disturbance that preceded your treatment. Be patient and things should get better.

Without data, the best thing you can do is to keep a daily diary of your sleep. Try to objectively "grade" the quality of your sleep and how you felt through the day. Note any arousals that you can recall and how you feel physically from day to day.

Monitoring your sleep patterns is very important in assessing the progress of sleep apnea treatment, especially without data. Grab a notebook and pen and set them on your nightstand for evening or morning recordings. You should document every nuance you observe regarding your sleeping habits, including:

How often you awaken during the night
Instances where your snoring is so loud that it wakes up you or your partner
Any shortness of breath or breathing irregularities
Note any use of alcohol, prescription drugs or health issues.
Any unusual symptoms, such as night sweats, anxiety, irritability, or insomnia
Characteristics that your partner observes, such as severity and loudness of snoring, tossing and turning, instances of halted breathing, and others
Effects of interrupted sleep manifested during the daytime, such as daytime drowsiness, inability to concentrate, and lack of energy.

A diary can help you and your doctor. We know your AHI is low, so now "how do you feel", needs to be documented day to day.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mzdawn74,
I know you want to notice things yesterday, and I sure don't blame you, but sometimes it can take a while 'till you notice improvements, patience is required..
Try really hard to just relax, I know, I know, easier said than done, but don't give up.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 04:35 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: Don't blame the machine. It will do its part if you do yours. Blame most of your problems on sleep deprivation.

Best wishes and don't give up.

What makes the machine a 'brick' is perhaps less data capability than others. But that does not mean that the machine is not doing its job.

I am trying to help you. I've read all of your posts on the forum. You appear in a somewhat desperate state. Consider getting some help from your physician with prescribed medication to get you over the hump. You need to calm down and also get more sleep with CPAP.

I do have some ambien right now. It is from when I was hospitalized in April for suicide ideation. I was very overwhelmed then as I am now with my continued deteroriation. I don't think people understand how hard it is for me just to function in normal everyday tasks. I seems to get worse as the days progress. I thought the machine might help me get better sleep, stop the apneas, and I would feel better. That is not what's happening. Now I feel like not only can't I sleeo, but I have a machine that is nothing more than an inconvenient, cumbersome, uncomfortable, piece of crap. I don't know where to go, what to do, how to go about fixing any of this. Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 04:45 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 04:40 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote:

Just want to add that I fully understand being sleep deprived. Before I was on CPAP, I'm lucky if I sleep 2 hours a night.

Also, if you are not comfortable talking with your doct....is there someone that can go with you for support?

Good luck.

My husband could go, but he is really of no use. He doesn't understand what's going on even though I try and explain it to him. He just tells me " What can't you do today you did yesterday" in response to me telling him I'm getting worse. Or now it's " use the
machine and just wait". I've been going through this now for almost 7 months of this cognitive decline and feel it's a matter of weeks before I'm totally incapacitated. Maybe the sleep deprivation is causing all of my issues...I don't know anymore. I'm scared to talk to my doctor because I feel like an idiot. I'm used to being the one everyone always depends on for ideas, information , and when the need advice. Now it takes me 30 minutes to compose a simple paragraph. And the paragraph is filled with spelling, punctuation, grammatical errors on top of being incoherent. Oh-jeez
(07-11-2015, 05:08 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi mzdawn74,
I know you want to notice things yesterday, and I sure don't blame you, but sometimes it can take a while 'till you notice improvements, patience is required..
Try really hard to just relax, I know, I know, easier said than done, but don't give up.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

Yes, it is easier said than done. I'm worried things are going to continue to decline and there will be no chance of recovery.

But thank you though for your support. I do appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 420 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 339 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,728 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 903 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 673 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,093 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 501 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.