Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

6 months in: From 109AHI to under 4AHI average
6 months in: From 109AHI to under 4AHI average
A little background:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-questions

Why: After witnessing how much a help a CPAP machine was for my wife, I decided to take my doctor up on having a sleep study done.

June 2016
Sleep study. Yay. 45 minutes into it, they hook me up to a CPAP. Apparently a 109AHI and low of 65 pulseox is not a normal thing... who knew.

June/July 2016
CPAP arrives. Frustration sets in. I can't sleep, I can't get comfortable, this machine just isn't working. I thought this would be a magic cure all.

July 2016
Find the apneaboard.com forums. Become my own healthcare advocate in regards to treating my sleep apnea. Learn that I DO have a say in how my condition is treated. Work with my equipment provider and sleep doctor to find the mask (ESON) that is most comfortable for me.

July 2016
CPAP is at 8-20 for pressure. Lots of mask leaks. Most nights my AHI is still averaging 12-21AHI, with the occasional high of 45AHI.

August 2016
Using reports from Sleepy Head, make a determined case to my equipment provider and doctor that I'm maxing out the CPAP. Initially they were insisting I had to give it at least 3 months to get used to it. I disagreed. I showed them my Sleepy Head reports and insisted that we needed to change things up. They agreed. "Upgraded: to BiPAP machine.

August 2016 - September 2016
BiPAP machine "adjustment" period. Currently at 19/23 for pressure (but guessing we'll go to 21/25 soon). 2 months of going back and forth trying different masks due to the increased pressure, as well as different pressure levels. Finally we get a combination that seems like it might work (after trying multiple masks, we ended up going back to the ESON, trying both Medium and Large in order to see which worked better). At this point, most of my nights were under 10AHI on average.

September 2016 - December 2016
What a long strange trip it has been. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It took a number of visits and lots of insistence and work in order to get the help I needed to resolve many of the hurdles which were keeping me from a good night's sleep, however the past 90 days have been great, and getting better with each night.

Over the past 90 days, I have had I believe 1 night above 10AHI, and 3 below 2AHI. My best night was at 1.16AHI. There are a number of little things I'm noting that are different as well. I fall to sleep faster. I can drive for hours at a time where I used to have to stop every 45 minutes or so. I'm more relaxed. My chronic migraines have slowed to an occasional trickle. Most importantly, most of my neck and shoulder pain has seemed to have dissipated.

Summing it all up
Be your own healthcare advocate. Be informed and insistent.
Don't expect a magical overnight cure.
Be an informed patient.
Don't give up.
6 months may seem like a long time, but I know I've had sleep and snoring issues for over 30 years. Put that way, 6 months is nothing.

[Image: sleep12216.jpg]hebergeur dimage
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 6 months in: From 109AHI to under 4AHI average
Hi toinewi,
Thanks for updating your journey. I'm sure your post will be an encouragement to many here!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
toinewi,
Congratulations on sticking with the treatment and having success. It's all to easy to want to give up at the beginning of the treatment. I see your aches and pains have diminished. How do you feel overall?
Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great story, and good job doing everything right...well, almost. Now just shrink the calendar by clicking on the triangle in the date line, and get rid of the pie chart using the SH menu File/Preferences/Appearance, and then you'll be perfect. Smile

Way to go. Did you ever try the auto B mode on your machine?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be an informed patient.
Don't give up.

Thanks Way to go Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi toinewi,
CONGRATULATIONS!
It's so good to hear that, after all you have gone through, you just kept trying and that you took charge of your CPAP therapy.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2016, 10:35 AM)toinewi Wrote: Summing it all up
Be an informed patient.
Don't give up.
6 months may seem like a long time, but I know I've had sleep and snoring issues for over 30 years. Put that way, 6 months is nothing.

Amen brother! That summation is spot on. Great to hear the positive news!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 236 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,596 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 423 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 270 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 655 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 195 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123
  [CPAP] Still tired after 4 months of CPAP mohtorhead 11 988 02-03-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.