Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Set up pressure on CPAP?
Set up pressure on CPAP?
My bipap machine bit the dust and I was able to get a machine from a friend, however, it is only a cpap. I know my bipap pressure is 20/14. From research, it seems that I need to set the cpap to 20 since that is the ipap pressure. I did receive the manual I needed to make that change on the new machine but I wanted to get some input as to what I should initially start the cpap ipap pressure at? It is a Philips Remstar Pro C-Flex+ with Auto IQ, model PR System One. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Set up pressure on CPAP?
Hi stormyeize,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone will be along to advise you about the machine you are using. Since it isn't a BIPAP machine, your therapy with the CPAP machine won't be what you really need.
Hopefully, you will be able to get a BIPAP machine so you can get optimum therapy.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with trish,
You won't get the level of therapy you may need and are used to.
What was your pressure support setting on the bipap?
The Phillips Respironics Cpap can only give you a pressure relief of 2cm whether you set it on 1,2 or 3 with additional relief based on flow.

Hopefully someone else will advise you with settings that may mimic the bipap settings.
Good luck, and I hope you will be in the market for a newer bipap soon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I knew that this wasn't going to be optimal therapy but was hoping it would help me to not stop breathing during the night. I need a new script but have to have a new sleep study before they will issue one. Unfortunately, that can't get my study set up until 3 to 6 months from now since I am ineligible for insurance (that's a whole other story). I was trying to find something to help me in the interim. I am desperate to get some sort of restful sleep even if it isn't perfect. I set the machine to 20 and it seems a way too high but I think that may be because I don't have the epap working at the same time as I had with the bipap. So, I turned it down to 14 to start and will try and work my way up from there. I am just not sure what else to do. I also forgot to mention that I have an oxygen concentrator (set to 2L) that attached to my bipap, and it attaches the same way to this cpap, so I feel at least I will be able to get that at night now which may help. Also, I am not sure what pressure support was on my bipap, the only thing the company would tell me was that my pressure was ipap 20 and epap14.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi stormyeize, welcome to Apnea Board.

If your IPAP was 20 and EPAP was 14 then your pressure support was 6. EPAP + PS = IPAP

Your REMStar has a facility called Flex (C-Flex and C-Flex+) which will provide some relief when exhaling against the pressure. It won't be as good as the pressure support on a bilevel machine but it will help. Also, if I read the literature correctly, it also has a CPAP-Check mode, which will gradually ratchet up the pressure if needed, so you could start at 14 and let the machine decide if you need to go to a higher pressure. This is not the same as APAP (autoset) but should help determine the best setting.

Go here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual and obtain the clinician manual for your machine, which should explain these things in more detail.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would set the pressure at 16 or 17 and C-Flex at 3. That will get you close to an EPAP of 14 like you're used to. From there, you can check your indices, see if you need to raise the pressure higher, and then do so if you can tolerate it. At least you'll be getting some therapy by eliminating some of your events and flow restrictions.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really appreciate the advice. I am going to try to reset it for tonight. Last night, I had the pressure set on 12 and it did seem to be better than without the machine but not optimal, of course. I will keep trying and hopefully this can get me through until I can get in for my sleep study. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 215 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 265 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 424 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 174 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 387 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 559 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,433 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.