Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Being treated for osa
Being treated for osa
Hey guys thanks for the replies to my post last week. To answer some of the questions I currently have a phillips Respironics system one apap. I use the nasal pillows. I just seen my clinician the other day she went over my results from last year's sleep study. My oxygen levels in my blood were 81 I stopped breathing 26 times an hour she said it was moderate. The past week I've been using it everyday. The past two days I didn't sleep but I noticed I was more alert is that the norm. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Being treated for osa
G'day Arthuralferez

26 events an hour is near the high end of moderate, getting close to severe (which starts at 30). So that's likely the reason (or a major reason) you are feeling fatigued. The Respironics System 1 is a good machine and should be able to get normal obstructive apnea under control. The treatment does take some getting used to, and for some people this can be difficult. But your health is at stake, and if you have a family to look after you need to ensure your health is looked after as well.

The first and sometimes the hardest thing is to have a comfortable mask which fits nicely and doesn't leak. If the mask is uncomfortable or doesn't fit properly, then everything else is wasted. Make sure you're happy with your mask, and if not try to get it changed. You didn't mention if you have insurance or not, but try to get your mask from a DME who will provide a 30 day return guarantee. Try as many as you can to make sure you have one which is really suitable for you.

Second is your bed and pillow - it goes without saying these should be comfortable and the bed should be supportive. If you sleep on your side (which is recommended for apnea) make sure your pillow has enough flexibility that it doesn't push the mask off your face. Make your bedroom as dark and quiet as you can and practice good sleep hygiene. See some good ideas here: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/heal...ep-hygiene Also, position your machine so that the hose is comfortable and doesn't drag the mask off your face or get tangled up.

Next, check your pressure. Your profile says its 5 - 6, which seems very low. Ask your doc for a copy of the prescription and confirm that the pressure is correct. If it's too low you won't be getting any benefit from the machine, and you may not be able to inhale easily through the nasal pillows.

Then check your humidifier. If it's too low you will get a dry throat and congested nasal passages. If it's too high yu might get rainout, drops of water coming through the hose and into your face. This will vary with ambient conditions and your own personal preferences.

I hope this helps. Please come back if there are other issues you'd like to cover.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 158 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP Motomom 40 9,905 08-21-2023, 08:30 PM
Last Post: aquamike
  Did your liver and kidney function improve after being treated on CPAP? theredheadsaid 5 742 09-27-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  [Diagnosis] New Guy Needs a review - Treated but untreated. Madapples 21 2,365 08-19-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Madapples
  ASV - How to know if UARS is treated? IUsedToSnore 2 1,270 05-28-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How are same-day split sessions treated for compliance fredkahan 3 1,005 09-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Last Post: fredkahan
  Technically Treated - To my core Tired Geologeek 63 5,753 03-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.