Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

77 days into Therapy & I don't think I am sleeping with CPAP at all.
RE: 77 days into Therapy & I don't think I am sleeping with CPAP at all.
(10-08-2013, 08:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Keep with it, Realtor 1. The first few weeks for me were bad, I got less sleep instead of more. Eventually I started having some good days, and those days eventually got more frequent. Looking back, it's been almost two years and my life is different now. Much less stress, and lots of other good benefits, too.

Remember, you are fighting for your life. Without CPAP therapy we live a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early of a heart attack or stroke. With CPAP therapy we can lead a normal life. It just takes some of us a lot longer to adapt than others, but in the end it's worth it.

I want to agree with the above! So many people throw in the towel and give up on their machine, rather than take the time needed to get used to their 'dream machine' and/or get it set up correctly for them.

It took a total of four studies, plus both nose and throat surgery before I became completely comfortable - everyone is different.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Realtor 1 I'm in close to the same boat as you are. I have the F&P Icon with the pressure set for 8 and have been using the SensAwake feature. It is showing being activated about 20 times per night. Now I don't recall waking up 20 times though and my AHI's are around 1.

Just speculating here, but you mentioned your AHI's were around 6 per hour and a pressure of 11. Maybe you need a higher pressure to keep from having the interruption and then you'll get some sleep? Instead of it defaulting down to 4, maybe going down to 6 might work better for you?

Also give it a try without the sensawake on. Once you turn it off, if the initial pressure is too high, use the ramp feature so you build to your final pressure over a 20 minute period. I have a problem going to sleep if it ramps right up, so that helps me get accustomed to the final pressure a bit easier. To get the ramp feature to work you either have to hit the button once and hold it for several seconds and the ramp feature will turn on, or hit it and then hit and hold it (sorry, can't remember which). Once it is activated you'll see a little ramp symbol on the display.

Regards
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2013, 03:33 PM)HDApnea Wrote: Realtor 1 I'm in close to the same boat as you are. I have the F&P Icon with the pressure set for 8 and have been using the SensAwake feature. It is showing being activated about 20 times per night. Now I don't recall waking up 20 times though and my AHI's are around 1.

Just speculating here, but you mentioned your AHI's were around 6 per hour and a pressure of 11. Maybe you need a higher pressure to keep from having the interruption and then you'll get some sleep? Instead of it defaulting down to 4, maybe going down to 6 might work better for you?

Also give it a try without the sensawake on. Once you turn it off, if the initial pressure is too high, use the ramp feature so you build to your final pressure over a 20 minute period. I have a problem going to sleep if it ramps right up, so that helps me get accustomed to the final pressure a bit easier. To get the ramp feature to work you either have to hit the button once and hold it for several seconds and the ramp feature will turn on, or hit it and then hit and hold it (sorry, can't remember which). Once it is activated you'll see a little ramp symbol on the display.

Regards
Thanks,

I have turned the Senseawake feature off & trying. I have also gotten a new prescription which is lower but it is based on my assumption. The Doctor here don't really do much.
I am still waking up a lot maybe 8 to 10 times. Not too sure if there has been any improvement.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 07:51 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: Is there any machine out there which can really detect your actual sleep time.

I don't believe there is an actual xPAP machine that will also monitor your sleeping pattern, but there are some fitness bands that state they have this feature such as as the Jawbone Up or the Fitbit Flex. I have looked in to both products and they seem interesting. The only reason I haven't purchased either is they have limited product support in Canada.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2013, 08:34 AM)EzDzIt Wrote:
(10-08-2013, 07:51 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: Is there any machine out there which can really detect your actual sleep time.

I don't believe there is an actual xPAP machine that will also monitor your sleeping pattern, but there are some fitness bands that state they have this feature such as as the Jawbone Up or the Fitbit Flex. I have looked in to both products and they seem interesting. The only reason I haven't purchased either is they have limited product support in Canada.
Thanks I will look into these products.

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe they contain an accelerometer and can therefore monitor your motion. This information is then used to "guess" the state of sleep you were in.

All good CPAP machines contain a flow meter and use it to detect breathing patterns. I imagine the information it collects could be used to make a much more educated guess as to the sleep state. I have no idea how to do that, though.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 09:20 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I believe they contain an accelerometer and can therefore monitor your motion. This information is then used to "guess" the state of sleep you were in.

All good CPAP machines contain a flow meter and use it to detect breathing patterns. I imagine the information it collects could be used to make a much more educated guess as to the sleep state. I have no idea how to do that, though.
Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,062 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 157 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,350 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.