Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

77 days into Therapy & I don't think I am sleeping with CPAP at all.
77 days into Therapy & I don't think I am sleeping with CPAP at all.
Since I started this therapy I have felt worse then before I am tired & Sleepy with bad headaches all day & cannot concentrate.

I have started getting data from my provider & notice that whenever my machine reaches the prescribed pressure the Sense Awake feature triggers within a few minutes & I guess that I wake up & stay on my sense Awake pressure which is considerbly lower till I get back to sleep & then within minutes it triggers sense Awake again & I am awake.
It goes on & on for over 25 to 30 times per night.

I went back to my sleep doctor, who did not even bother to check the machine's data but asked me how i felt with the pressure so I said that i assume that it is too high so he changed the prescription to 8 from 11 . Last Nights data was not any better with the new pressure as even at 8 the same story continued.
Can someone explain what is happening here ? Am I sleeping or not ? I don't usually remember waking up that many times(Maybe 8 to 10 times which is still fairly high per night). Also it does show me prolong periods of lower pressure(Which means that I am awake but I don't remember staying awake for that long).
If i go with that data I get total sleep of any where between 10 minutes to about 50 mintues per night. No wonder why I feel this bad all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 77 days into Therapy & I don't think I am sleeping with CPAP at all.
Hi Realtor 1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It seems like I have read that some people have to turn sense-awake off, but hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't understand what's happening either. Never heard of sense awake.

I suggest you get a new doctor, one who is willing to explain to you what the data means.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Realtor 1
If I,m not mistaken, SenseAwake feature can be turned off
Clinical manual for the Icon series is available via Email , scroll down to section three (other manuals)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Icon setup video http://vimeo.com/20560260
Latest version of SleepyHead supports the Icon machines
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 07:13 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Never heard of sense awake.
Hi Sleepster
SensAwake - Responsive Pressure Relief
http://www.fphcare.com.au/sleep-apnea/cl...sensawake/

Post Reply Post Reply
It is a great feature at least on the paper.
I will try to turn it off tonite and see if it will help me.
I would love to know how other users of this machine are doing with this feature .
I did download Sleepy Head last night but it does not recognize the Sensawake feature.
Is there any machine out there which can really detect your actual sleep time. The other night I slept for 10 minutes but the data showed the actual amount of time when the machine was on which was 7 hrs +.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, short of essentially a full sleep study with EEG connections, there really is no way to tell if you are truly asleep or not. There can be some obvious clues (which is what I would guess "sense awake" keys on), but only an EEG can tell in the general case.

It does sound like what is happening is that somehow you are triggering the sense awake when just at/after you fall asleep, which then lowers the pressure, which then stops being effective therapy and allows OSA events, which then truly does wake you up. I would echo previous suggestions to try with that feature turned off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Realtor1,

The on/off setting for sensawake will show up on the first menu right after the Data dot IF it is turn on in the clinical menu. It will show sensawake symbol if it is enabled otherwise it show the wrench
Symbol.
To access the clinical menu hold the center button while you turn the outer dial more then 180 degrees. The clinical menu will pop up. I think itis the fourth dot clockwise to set the sensawake viewing. The sensawake symbol will show. Then by pushing the center button it will enable viewing on the first menu.
It's not something I would want enables without being able to turn it off. I used it for my first 2 nights because I thought it would be good. Not.. 43 days later I do not miss it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep with it, Realtor 1. The first few weeks for me were bad, I got less sleep instead of more. Eventually I started having some good days, and those days eventually got more frequent. Looking back, it's been almost two years and my life is different now. Much less stress, and lots of other good benefits, too.

Remember, you are fighting for your life. Without CPAP therapy we live a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early of a heart attack or stroke. With CPAP therapy we can lead a normal life. It just takes some of us a lot longer to adapt than others, but in the end it's worth it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone!
I do have a severe Insomnia problem. I do not snore & never had anything which was a sign of an Apnea. I went for a sleep test as in June I could not sleep for 4 continuous days and they found out that I have a very severe Apnea issue of 49.5.
I have been diligently using the machine on nightly basis. The Ahi has dropped to under 6 but then again the worst nights are the nights I am not sleeping at all or not more then a few minutes . Like the other night when I slept for 10 minutes the AHI was .06.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 160 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 960 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.