Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

9 months on CPAP - recent mouth breathing
RE: 9 months on CPAP - recent mouth breathing
(10-01-2012, 08:30 PM)archangle Wrote:
(10-01-2012, 08:08 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Someone needs to invent a way to embed an anti-asphyxia valve into a mouthpiece.

It would be easy to make an anti-asphyxia valve that fits between the mask and the hose on a nasal mask. There are quite a few masks with separate anti-aspyxia valves, but none have the right size fittings on the end.

This gave me an idea. I removed the anti-asphyxia valve from an old full face mask I had and attached it carefully using medical tape (since the fittings don't match on one side) between the small nose pillows tube and the main tube. If it pulls loose I'll have plenty of air, though it is well-taped and probably won't. I tested it by unplugging my machine and breathing for 10 minutes and it seemed fine.

I don't know why manufacturers don't put anti-asphyxia valves on nose pillows. I guess because they assume you will breathe through your mouth if you need to, even with a chin strap. For myself the chin strap does not work - my lips flop open and mouth dries out like a bone. I guess they also don't want to encourage mouth taping, since there remains the danger of aspiration pneumonia.

For myself, it was hard to sleep with the full face mask since I am a side sleeper, and it leaked a lot even with 5 RemZzzs, which meant I was waking up all night long, 40 more times, to readjust my sleeping position to accommodate the mask. The mask was also putting permanent "frown" creases on my face and flattening my hair so that it grew to the side. I used the full face mask for years, and hated it the whole time. Life has its trade-offs, and I would rather risk aspiration pneumonia than go through such things the rest of my life.

I have been taping my mouth shut for a couple of months now and it works really well. I am sleeping much better. Also, I installed a loud failed circuit alarm on my machine as double insurance against power failure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2015, 11:24 AM)rsjoyce Wrote: For myself, it was hard to sleep with the full face mask since I am a side sleeper,

Me, too. I had this same trouble with a nasal mask, so I switched to nasal pillows and was delighted. Fast forward three years and all has changed. I find I can now tolerate the full face mask.

So I would suggest you try it. Stopping the mouth-leaking has made an improvement in the way I feel. Leak graphs now look much much better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2012, 09:59 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: Yep, count me in the chinstrap crowd as well.

After over a year of no problems (also with the Swift FX) I suddenly found myself with mouth leaks nightly. I asked my doc (okay, his nurse) for a chinstrap script and she said that if I was mouth breathing I needed a full face mask, I held firm, she relented, and I am happy with the results.

If you have trouble with the chin strap you could also try using a head band using it vertically rather than horizontally.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 843 3 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 112 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,579 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 113 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 263 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.