Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

9 months on CPAP - recent mouth breathing
RE: 9 months on CPAP - recent mouth breathing
Before finding this forum, I used to frequent another. On that one, they advocated mouth taping. Any issue? Tape the lips. But want to take control over your medical needs by getting into the clinician's menu? That was like a huge no-no and caused a major flame war. Heck, I once asked how to increase the ramp time on my S7 and got yelled at. So I looked online and found out how. Later, I said I had done it and it was as if I had said I smoked crack while watching a baby drown. Just because I changed the ramp time via the clinician menu.

This forum advocates doing what YOU need to reach the best treatment for your sleep apnea. This includes education on all the bits that go into treating sleep apnea. This includes understanding what all the language and alphabet soup are; how to properly access the 'hidden' menus of xPAP and what it all means; how to self-evaluate treatment via the data; and how to find the courage to face the DME and/or sleep docs.

Many of us believe mouth taping is not wise. There are other things to try first. If working on training yourself on tongue placement doesn't work (or is too much effort), if a FFM doesn't work, if a chin strap doesn't work, then the last thing is the chin up straps.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula
I do not spend a lot of time on forums but I agree each one that I have been on seems to take on a culture of its own. The more they hear the same thing over and over again the more they become convinced that they have the true and only solution to the problem.

I agree with the idea of continually seeking out new ideas to improve your treatment like I have done for the past 27+ years. I only slept one night without CPAP since then. Last night I looked at an early machine that I had in the basement. It is a R.... Sleep Easy CPAP. The date on it is Feb 8, 1985 and it has a handwritten serial number. It is interesting how the machine worked but that is for another day. In the early years it was necessary to be involved. The machine had rubber belts that would wear and come off, pullys and fans that would wear out and squeal. It was more like an old vacuum than a new CPAP. Try running your vacuum 8 hours a day. There were no electronics but you bought a mask with a balloon reservoir and a spring on the exhilation valve supposidly set to your pressure setting. They came in 2 1/2 cm intervals. I spent quite a bit of time talking to the techs, getting parts, and fixing the machine myself but they were good and I always had adequate treatment. I started involved with my treatment and will continue to do what is necessary to make sure that I have the best possible treatment. I wish that the many many people with untreated sleep apnea had been as fortunate as I have been over the years.

I still consider taping an acceptable option because even when I tape and use my chin strap like I do I can open my mouth easily and break the tape seal. I use two or three strips of tape I buy at Walgreens that seal my mouth but will come off easily if necessary.

Two people mentioned the Chin UP Strips. I have never heard of them so I will check them out.
GeneS

(10-01-2012, 08:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Before finding this forum, I used to frequent another. On that one, they advocated mouth taping. Any issue? Tape the lips. But want to take control over your medical needs by getting into the clinician's menu? That was like a huge no-no and caused a major flame war. Heck, I once asked how to increase the ramp time on my S7 and got yelled at. So I looked online and found out how. Later, I said I had done it and it was as if I had said I smoked crack while watching a baby drown. Just because I changed the ramp time via the clinician menu.

This forum advocates doing what YOU need to reach the best treatment for your sleep apnea. This includes education on all the bits that go into treating sleep apnea. This includes understanding what all the language and alphabet soup are; how to properly access the 'hidden' menus of xPAP and what it all means; how to self-evaluate treatment via the data; and how to find the courage to face the DME and/or sleep docs.

Many of us believe mouth taping is not wise. There are other things to try first. If working on training yourself on tongue placement doesn't work (or is too much effort), if a FFM doesn't work, if a chin strap doesn't work, then the last thing is the chin up straps.

Post Reply Post Reply
The mouth leak has not been resolved. I have ordered a chinstrap.

I can't figure out why I'm leaking so much. The only change for me has been a return to being fit. I've lost 25 pounds and run 20 miles per week.

The DME person was clueless, they just put in the order request. I have no idea what will be sent to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have lost that much weight I would consider another sleep study. Could be that your pressure is now too high.

(12-31-2012, 07:53 PM)hoser Wrote: The mouth leak has not been resolved. I have ordered a chinstrap.

I can't figure out why I'm leaking so much. The only change for me has been a return to being fit. I've lost 25 pounds and run 20 miles per week.

The DME person was clueless, they just put in the order request. I have no idea what will be sent to me.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think 25lbs is enough weight to warrant another sleep study. I think someone would have to lose several inches of neck girth before it would matter. Most weight initially lost is elsewhere.

Hoser, what are your leak rates?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
hoser, you have a data-capable machine so you could experiment with lowering your pressure.

I doubt that high pressure is the cause of the mouth leaks. I can go weeks without my chinstrap and have no leaks. Then all of a sudden I can't keep my mouth closed without it. I'll wake up several times in one night with air hissing out of my mouth.

Now I just wear the chinstrap every time I sleep. No more mouth leaks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So the chinstrap arrived today, it's a CareFusion PureSom.

Hilarious instructions:
Note: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE CHINSTRAP, BECAUSE DOING SO MAY CAUSE DISCOMFORT.
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL Is that the actual instructions on the chinstrap??

You want it tight enough that, when you sit up and relax your jaw, that it does not open. But you want it loose enough that you can chew.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I made my own chin strap. I simply took a long strip of velcro, wrapped it under my chin and attached it to my mask harness, which seems ready for velcro. It works like a charm.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great. The store-bought type have some elasticity. I've heard of people making them out of cut-up pieces of Ace bandages.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,167 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 382 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.