Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

90 and 95%
90 and 95%
How do you use the 90% and 95% stats to adjust your pressure?
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 90 and 95%
(03-07-2016, 02:27 PM)0rangebear Wrote: How do you use the 90% and 95% stats to adjust your pressure?

I'll just use the 90% for an example.

The 90% number means that you were at that pressure for 90% of the night "and under". The important part is the "and under". What that means is that you were not at a certain pressure for 90% of the night.

To answer your question...
Just say that your 90% number is usually around 10cm. You would try to bracket that number when setting a range. You also need to look at where your max pressure usually goes. You could set a range of 8-15, then watch for a week or two. Some like to start their min pressure at their 90% number.

The other thing to watch for are clear airways. If you get a lot of those, you would not want to raise the max pressure too high.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Orangebear:

I think you should read up on Percentile. It's a statistical quantum; with math involved; but I think you can understand it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentile

It is my understanding that some people limit their upper max pressure to the 90th or 95th percentile pressure.
(Whichever the machine and software reports.)

And, that they set their min pressure to the median (50th percentile) pressure.

Given the narrow range in your profile, I do not think you can use statistics from that data.
I haven't seen you graphs; but I would guess that you bump against you min and max; and that sort of invalidates using that data to set pressures.

Do you really need to change pressure? How do you feel? What AHI do you achieve?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
here's a great explanation of what all the numbers me, by our very own RobySue:
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...de-to.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2016, 06:00 PM)justMongo Wrote: Orangebear:

I think you should read up on Percentile. It's a statistical quantum; with math involved; but I think you can understand it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentile

It is my understanding that some people limit their upper max pressure to the 90th or 95th percentile pressure.
(Whichever the machine and software reports.)

And, that they set their min pressure to the median (50th percentile) pressure.

Given the narrow range in your profile, I do not think you can use statistics from that data.
I haven't seen you graphs; but I would guess that you bump against you min and max; and that sort of invalidates using that data to set pressures.

Do you really need to change pressure? How do you feel? What AHI do you achieve?

Typically 2 standard deviations from the mean puts one in a six sigma control group. That why I am using a tougher control that the DR ordered. His prescription was 4-15 I found that to be to open on the low and I could not tolerate the 15 in the beginning.

I am seeing people reference the 90% and the 95% in there post so I ma trying to understand what work for others, because some times, common sense works better than the math.

Thanks for the link

2004-Bon Jovi

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2016, 06:07 PM)palerider Wrote: here's a great explanation of what all the numbers me, by our very own RobySue:
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...de-to.html

Thanks for the link.
Robysue, I see, has some interesting information on CPAP insomnia. Which is my next hurdle in this great adventure we are on.
likeThanksEat-popcorn
2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.