Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

90 compliance period almost up??
RE: 90 compliance period almost up??
(10-16-2014, 02:25 AM)Popriv Wrote: Still sceptical of the whole cpap thing but willing to keep trying.
I've searched for negative comments but haven't found anything to say its a scam.
Which is unusual because you can usually find negative view on most subjects...

I'm a very skeptical cuss myself.

However,

Sleep apnea is VERY real.
The harm it does is very real.
If they do a sleep test, especially an in-lab sleep test, and tell you that you failed, you really do have sleep apnea.
The signs are very clear, and it's not profitable enough to be worth faking the test to the sleep doctor.
Apena almost always gets worse, so even if you don't feel the effects now, the harm will get worse as you age.
CPAP is THE way to treat sleep apnea. It works for most people IF THEY USE IT.

On the other hand:

The whole process with the medical mafia is full of ripoffs and scams.
You may assembly line medicine instead of good medicine.
Many DME's will rip you off.
Many CPAP'ers have problems and annoyances with CPAP.
Many people find they get terrible support from their DME and doctor.
You often have to fight and manage your own therapy, and solve their own problems.

Don't let the pitiful state of the medical industry obscure the fact that sleep apnea is very real and CPAP is THE answer.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
They say that every 7 years every cell in your body has been replaced. I am not sure I ever bought that argument; I think it is probably a gross over-generalization, and that some cells get replaced quickly and some may never get replaced (I know I still have that scar from 1971 when I went through a windshield, for instance).

But if cells are damaged and are replaced in ~7 years, it might just take ~7 years to repair all of the damage. And that doesn't count the damage that starts after a new cell appears (environmental, chemical, etc.)

Whatever clock we might be on, there probably is no way to speed things up. But SA therapy at least slows down the amount of damage and gives us a chance to catch up, even if it takes a long time to get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for a little over 3 years and I (and my wife) have seen the big difference. I use a full face mask and it is not an issue. I used to fly for the USAF and had to wear an oxygen mask - got used to it and my CPAP mask and hose is a lot more comfortable than my oxygen mask. I learned a lot when I found this forum and have tried to give back some of what I have learned.

I am fortunate in that I have a good sleep doc. The first time I brought in the printouts from Sleepyhead he said - "I see you are using Sleepyhead - good thinking and keep doing it". We have had some good discussions over my treatment and non-surgical options. He doesn't feel there is enough of a track record on the surgery to make a good decision. He has too many patients who have come to him after their surgery did not give the expected results.

Just remember, most of our bodies did not wake up one morning and say you now have SA. It is something that developed over time and it will take time alter the effects of it - just like trying to get rid of those extra pounds. Hang in there!

Cornfucious say: A journey of 2000 miles starts with a flat tire and a broken fan belt.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 114 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 222 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,455 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 433 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What Makes This Period of Time an Hypopnea Event? Trevor G 1 415 07-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  compliance question singergal67 7 645 06-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: singergal67

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.