Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

95%??? AUTO
95%??? AUTO
I have 2 questions that I'd like to ask : 1) What is the 95% pressure reading users are always talking about & where can it be found? 2)Putting machine in auto helps with bloating & different sleep demands and anything else? Thanks for any helpThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 95%??? AUTO
Which ResMed S9 do you have? If you have the Autoset, you can view the data via SleepyHead or ResScan, both available here.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

1 -The 95% pressure reading is the number where you spent 95% of the time at or below during the night. There is also the 95% leak rate which is the leak amount that happened 95% or lower of all the leak rates during the night.
2 - No, I don't think the Auto setting will prevent the air in the stomach but it does help with changes. No two nights are the same so neither should the CPAP pressure be the same, IMO.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2013, 07:06 AM)2tall Wrote: I have 2 questions that I'd like to ask : 1) What is the 95% pressure reading users are always talking about & where can it be found?

When an APAP is set to "Auto" mode it starts out at whatever minimum pressure it is set for and then if and when the user experiences Obstructive Apneas, Hypopneas or signs that indicate Apneas/Hypopneas are imminent or likely the machine can gradually raise pressure in response to those events or signs in order to prevent future events. When pressure adequately eliminates events and signs that indicate events, then the machine will no longer raise pressure and will usually lower pressure gradually until it detects an event or sign. The goal is for the machine to operate at the minimum pressure necessary to respond to/prevent future events. 95% pressure is the pressure that the machine stayed at or below for 95% of the time for the period indicated - so if your pressure range is 17 to 20 and the statistics show that your 95% pressure is 19.2, then that means that the machine adjusted the pressure somewhere between 17 and 19.2 for 95% of the period in question (i.e. pressure was higher than 19.2 only 5% of the time). 95% pressure can be found on data capable machines by using compatible software.

Quote:2)Putting machine in auto helps with bloating & different sleep demands and anything else? Thanks for any help

Auto is designed to provide necessary therapy at lowest pressure needed. Pressure needs can change for many reasons. One very common one is sleep position. So hypothetically, lets say that a pressure setting of 8 will eliminate most events for a person when s/he sleeps on his/her side; but while sleeping on her/his back this person needs a pressure setting of 10 to eliminate most events. If set to fixed pressure at 8, then whenever he/she fails to prevent rolling onto his/her back during sleep, then an undesirable amount of events will happen. If set to fixed pressure 10, then he/she should still have few events whether sleeping on side or back, but if he or she spends much of the time sleeping on his/her side, then the machine spends that time at a higher pressure than necessary. Spending time at higher than necessary pressure is really only a problem if that person is experiencing Central Apneas that can be induced or lengthened by pressure, or the higher pressure is causing him/her to swallow air (air gets into digestive tract causing bloating, stomache pain etc.) or the person just finds the higher pressure uncomfortable and it makes it harder to sleep.

One of the biggest benifits of an Auto machine though, is that the automatic response to changing needs combined with access to the data allows a vigilant person to more easily monitor therapy over time. I say "more easily" because you can still monitor therapy when set to fixed pressure by tracking AHI, etc., but in my opinion it is easier to do with an Auto. Also, if you prefer fixed pressure, an Auto machine can be set for fixed pressure delivery, but straight CPAP cannot be set to Auto.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2013, 07:06 AM)2tall Wrote: 1) What is the 95% pressure reading users are always talking about & where can it be found?

It's actually the 95th percentile. For example, if your "95% pressure" is 12.8 cm that means that you spent 95% of your usage time with the pressure at or below 12.8 cm.

In other words, you spent 5% of your usage time with a pressure above 12.8 cm.

You should be able to find it using the appropriate software for your machine: Rescan or SleepyHead.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2013, 07:06 AM)2tall Wrote: 1) What is the 95% pressure reading users are always talking about & where can it be found?
There is no S9 Auto, either AutoSet or Escape Auto, next to power button would tell you which one you have

Make sure "Sleep Quality" set to "On" to display usage, leak and AHI otherwise if set to "Usage" only usage hours displayed
Only able to be set "On" S9 AutoSet and S9 Elite

S9 setup explained here in pictures and video presentation: http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

I recommend to request the manual which contain all the information you need to know. Scroll down to bottom of the page "HOW TO ASK FOR A MANUAL VIA EMAIL": http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

95% pressure means you were AT or BELOW that number for 95% of the time
The S9 data management guide shows where data from S9 series can be viewed and displayed in ResScan
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
I own a Resmed S9 auto. Which software is easiest to use for beginners (me)
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the Escape Auto or the Autoset? There is a difference. Look by the on/off button.

If you have the Escape Auto, forget software. I don't think it collects enough data to make it worthwhile.

As for which software, I suggest you use both for a while and decide for yourself. Some people prefer one, some the other.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
It is resmed S9 autoset & I'll try both, as you said Thanks for help
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome.

I much prefer Sleepy Head due to it's larger font and graphics. I'm weird like that.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the info...sucks being a newbie. Docs aren't much help if ya know what I mean
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  auto turn on is off? (oooh, auto turn on...!) hegel 10 2,216 05-23-2020, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dreamstation Auto SV VS Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV auto EPAP RLSdss 3 1,836 12-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How to go from Fixed to Auto Pressure - Dreamstation CPAP Auto pumpkin 2 1,195 11-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed AirSense 10 [how to turn auto/on auto/off feature off?] IsrvChrist 3 19,511 05-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.