Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

95% leak rate equals ZERO
95% leak rate equals ZERO
Yes, I have attained a zero 95% leak rate. In fact, I have had 12 days like that in the last month. All but 4 days were 2 or less l/min. 

Want the secret to my success? I know mouth leaks are the hardest part with pillows but they can be overcome. 

Practice, practice, practice along with patience, patience, patience. 
I am sure raising EPR helps along my relative lower pressures. However, at numerous times throughout the day I have caught myself with my mouth shut, tongue against my teeth forcing all air through my nose. 

If this keeps up, I will try to give up the chin strap.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 95% leak rate equals ZERO
Good for you!  
Mouth Breathing is hard to overcome for so many, and it looks like you’ve been able to do just that. Well-done
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am 100% sure I could not use a nasal pillow. I am a mouth breather, all day, every day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2019, 07:40 PM)Sleepy8989 Wrote: I am 100% sure I could not use a nasal pillow.  I am a mouth breather, all day, every day.

I was 100% sure I could not use a full face mask also. You have to use what works. Went through 3 collars, and 2 chin straps. Still use a simple chin strap to keep my jaw closed but nothing to keep my lips together. 

What I do find myself doing is practicing holding my jaw closed breathe through my nose all day long. 

Thanks for the replies.  Thanks
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I was a mouth breather, but I trained myself to breath through my nose.  However, stopping leaks through lips is a big problem, especially when the pressure is a bit higher.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
So you're saying, if a mouth breather in a meat suit can find success, anyone can!

Congrats!!

Post Reply Post Reply
That 3M tape over my mouth doesn't bother me at all. I thought it would but I was wrong
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2019, 08:56 AM)Rcgop Wrote: can
If this keeps up, I will try to give up the chin strap.

For many people the chin strap is a temporary measure, used as a training device. Others find they never need one, still others find they don't work for them.

It's important, in my opinion, to distinguish between mouth breathing and mouth leaking. A mouth breather has a congested nose, and often the pressure from the CPAP machine is enough to clear that congestion, allowing them to breathe through their nose. But mouth leaking can occur when there's no congestion. The CPAP-pressurized air escapes through the mouth, ruining the CPAP therapy.

For many of us a full face mask is the only solution. If you look at your leak graph and see extended periods of time where the leak rate is greatly elevated compared to the baseline, that's an indicator of mouth leaking. For me, this is what finally got rid of that tired-all-the-time feeling. Mouth leaking can ruin a good night's sleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 4 4 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,409 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 114 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.