Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5cm
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: A Comedy of Errors ... or How I got my AutoSet
I understand the difference. It has a "mode" setting, which is currently set to CPAP. It's possible I've misunderstood what the tech was saying, but I seem to remember him switching the mode off auto and onto CPAP. I'll have to mess with it later and see. I could have been totally wrong though, new stuff for me.
05-11-2014 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Gabby Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 For Her
CPAP Pressure: 8-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Don't worry, no time at all and you will no what is what. It can all be a bit overwhelming at first.
The Elite is a good machine and you are able to download a programme and see what is happening to you as often or as little as you like, so be thankful for that.
Good luck on your journey.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
05-11-2014 10:55 PM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

SleepyDreamCatcher, your post made me laugh out loud and totally my day! Good for you and congratulations. Job well done! Good luck with your therapy.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 07:46 AM by ImaSurvivor.)
05-12-2014 07:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SnuffySleeper Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: s9 elite
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(05-11-2014 12:05 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote:  Congratulations SleepyDreamCatcher especially on getting the right machine!!!

Gabby: After a false start I went into my DME and wanted the AutoSet and not only was he an arrogant prick whose office I will never go to again, he actually wrote right on the prescription NOT to give me an auto set unless I wished to pay extra out of my pocket. He was really hostile and just kept saying over and over that the machines were all equal to one another and although I nicely argued with him, it was apparent I was not getting anywhere with him and if anyone can stand up for herself, it is me........some DMEs are just awful. Next time I will interview them first and only then when I find someone that will give me one will he become my doctor.
And unfortunately some health plans just won't pay for them, at lest here in Canada but from all I have read, they have a much easier time getting the Auto Set in the United States than we do here. Perhaps it is the same in Australia. ;-(

Actually I should mention my brother in law has a good health plan here in Canada and even in his case, he still had to pay extra for the Escape!!! Like you I to believe I will have to buy one outright.

So the Elite also records data and u can use software with it?
I thought only the AutoSet did that?

You're going to have a rough time in Canada thinking like that. We are not entitled to Autosets here because we have free sleep studies and titration tests and can see a sleep doctor anytime, I am sure you can raise a stink at every Vendor in your area until one is manipulated into giving you one, but that seems like a lot of work with little return.

I know the forum culture here is to demand an AutoSet because they cost the same, but that seems only because insurance companies do not distinguish between Cpap and Apap in America. Maybe because the insurance company has to pay for sleep studies and if they all just used Apap with wide open settings then insurance companies would save money in the long run, as they would not have to pay for titration studies every 6 months.

My example. I have an elite and my doctor is scheduling me for a titration/sleep study test every 6 months. That's the culture in Canada, that the pressure should be set by doctors and sleep studies instead of a machines algorithm.

The doctor in Canada writes apap or cpap on the prescription, and the vendor has to dispense the prescription as written by law, there is no grey area like in the states about cpap or apap, it's what ever is written by the doctor. The vendor HAS to fill the prescription as stated.

So well Americans can focus on manipulating DMEs to get an Autoset because of the same insurance pay codes, we can't do that here. You would have to ask your doctor and the DME would have no choice but to give you an autoset if it's on the prescription.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 08:56 AM by SnuffySleeper.)
05-12-2014 08:18 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

In the U.S. as I understand it, it is the law also that the DME dispense the prescribed equipment as written. The ambiguity comes in when the doc just prescribes a CPAP which is a general term for all the varieties of CPAP including auto CPAP, bi-level CPAP, uni-level CPAP, CPAP with and without reported efficacy data and so on. As far as I know, no doctor writes "APAP" since this is a shorthand designation that is commonly used for auto-titrating continuous positive airway pressure.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 11:04 AM by PaytonA.)
05-12-2014 10:55 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
skram Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo Q.
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Series H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5-20

Other Comments:

(05-12-2014 08:18 AM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:  You're going to have a rough time in Canada thinking like that. We are not entitled to Autosets here because we have free sleep studies and titration tests and can see a sleep doctor anytime, I am sure you can raise a stink at every Vendor in your area until one is manipulated into giving you one, but that seems like a lot of work with little return.

I know the forum culture here is to demand an AutoSet because they cost the same, but that seems only because insurance companies do not distinguish between Cpap and Apap in America. Maybe because the insurance company has to pay for sleep studies and if they all just used Apap with wide open settings then insurance companies would save money in the long run, as they would not have to pay for titration studies every 6 months.

My example. I have an elite and my doctor is scheduling me for a titration/sleep study test every 6 months. That's the culture in Canada, that the pressure should be set by doctors and sleep studies instead of a machines algorithm.

The doctor in Canada writes apap or cpap on the prescription, and the vendor has to dispense the prescription as written by law, there is no grey area like in the states about cpap or apap, it's what ever is written by the doctor. The vendor HAS to fill the prescription as stated.

It's even more complicated than that, it depends on which province you are in.

Here in Nova Scotia, after my sleep study, my doctor wrote the prescription for a CPAP, with little else written on it. The sleep centre put me on an Autoset right away for my trial period. It was what they had ready for me when I got to there for my appointment. (before they saw my Rx or even knew what I have for a health plan/insurance). Note however, that my sleep study was an "at home" one and I didn't do a titration. In fact the few people I know around here who went on CPAP didn't have titrations. I think the norm here is to use an Auto machine instead and do a 30 day trial period to determine the pressure range. Maybe to replace the extra cost of the titration with the cost of the machine - that would also move the cost out of the health system and into the insurance plans (or patient's pocket if no plan like my father-in-law).
05-12-2014 11:26 AM
SnuffySleeper Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(05-12-2014 11:26 AM)skram Wrote:  It's even more complicated than that, it depends on which province you are in.

Yes, definitely. Each province has it's own rules. There was a previous thread where we identified the requirements for Apap mandated by the government in Ontario. It included min pressures and a difference of pressures sleeping from side to supine position. These were the guidelines doctors have to abide by to prescribe Apap, was an interesting read.
05-12-2014 02:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SnuffySleeper Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(05-12-2014 10:55 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  In the U.S. as I understand it, it is the law also that the DME dispense the prescribed equipment as written. The ambiguity comes in when the doc just prescribes a CPAP which is a general term for all the varieties of CPAP including auto CPAP, bi-level CPAP, uni-level CPAP, CPAP with and without reported efficacy data and so on. As far as I know, no doctor writes "APAP" since this is a shorthand designation that is commonly used for auto-titrating continuous positive airway pressure.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

In a perfect world Resmed would only make one S9 Model (autoset) and it would make life easier for everyone.

I would be interested to know the wholesale costs of the units from Resmed. They can't be all the same or else Resmed wouldn't bother making different models the Autoset could just do everything the others can. Someones got to be making more money off certain models.
05-12-2014 02:37 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(05-12-2014 10:55 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  As far as I know, no doctor writes "APAP" since this is a shorthand designation that is commonly used for auto-titrating continuous positive airway pressure.

Yep. That's why I often write "Auto-CPAP" here on the forums rather than the more loose term of APAP. Auto-CPAPs (APAPs) are also CPAPs - both are Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, but one auto-adjusts, the other doesn't. I've been tilting at that windmill for years to no avail. Bigwink Too-funny

See this page for clarification:

http://www.apneaboard.com/APAP.htm

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-12-2014 02:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SnuffySleeper Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

The prescription I saw for an Autoset said "auto-cpap" on the pad, yes.

The way doctors write is a mystery. I know here different vendors have different forms the doctor has to fill out. So depending ont he vendor the doctor fills out their particular form.
05-12-2014 02:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New pressure causing mask errors whatda 5 470 06-15-2016 03:49 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  AirSenseâ„¢ 10 AutoSetâ„¢ Problems Not Recording & Tube Blockage Errors Pugman 11 1,656 12-05-2015 05:51 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  airsense 10 autoset or resmed S9 autoset sleepybeaver 18 6,100 05-30-2015 07:38 PM
Last Post: zonk
  ResScan errors justMongo 6 1,286 11-30-2014 07:46 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Data errors from high leakage DanBP 3 1,048 08-20-2014 05:30 PM
  F&P InfoSmart Software Report Format Errors JRBWallace 12 3,245 02-01-2014 11:10 PM
Last Post: GRak
Question s9 beeping .. no errors on display.. no luck searching for an answer mwbritt 7 1,899 10-24-2013 04:12 PM