Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Comedy of Errors ... or How I got my AutoSet
A Comedy of Errors ... or How I got my AutoSet
First, thanks to everyone on this site for the responses to me & for all the information I've gathered from reading on this site. It was an immense help during Friday's visit to the DME. What a fiasco that could have been. Somewhere in these threads is the advice that "if the DME says it's night out you better go check if for yourself". That was sound advice.

After a long journey to diagnosis, sleep study, tritration and finally a prescription (... Did you bring your data card? asked the tech when I thought I was going to see the Dr. "What data card" I asked, you haven't sent me or the DME a script yet."....) I finally had an appointment to go in and get my machine. Except when I got home from work the night before there were 2 messages on my answering machine do to a death in my therapist's family my appointment was being moved from 9:00 (I'd rescheduled a previous appointment to make this... Getting my machine was more important than the haircut I also need.... to 11:00 which is when I had to be on the road to Atlanta to make a 1:00 appointment that couldn't be rescheduled. I was heartbroken, but knew that I would have to reschedule for next Friday.

I got up yesterday, made my way to the DME which also houses my pharmacy so that I could get more blood pressure meds and reschedule, but broke down crying as I was trying to explain that they had to find a time for me the next Friday before all the afternoon appointments that I had scheduled (and rescheduled). Seeing me at the end of my coping skills they got me in and started the issue the equipment they had already picked out for me.

As the very nice respiratory therapist who gave up her own appointment in employee health in order to see me before I had to leave for Atlanta was taking out a S9 Elite I was saying that I wanted a ResMed S9 AutoSet with humidifier and heated hose and that I wanted to try the Airfit P10 nasal pillows and the Pilairo Q. She stopped, looked at me flabergasted and fumbled to get my script out of the chart, "No, your Dr. has ordered a CPAP for you with a pressure of 6. I can't give you the AutoSet."

"Sure you can," I replied. "The AutoSet can be set to CPAP and then you can put my pressure at 6."

"But your insurance won't pay if your doctor orders a CPAP" I was told.

"But the codes are the same. The insurance company doesn't care. They will pay for either," I counter.

"But they cost different. We can't do that," she stutters looking again at my prescription. "Oh wait... your doctor wants all this data... uhm... uhm.. I don't think this machine does that. You'll have to have the AutoSet."

I kept my mouth shut. Rolleyes

The Elite was packed up and returned to the storeroom and the AutoSet brought out. We then worked through getting it set up with the therapist actually letting me be involved as long as it was turned to CPAP and a pressure of 6. I goofed up when we got to the data setting and it got put to usage but she was trying to give me access. She just didn't realize (and neither did I) that she hadn't. Something else is turned on that is normally turned off so that we "uniformed consumers" are messing with the machine. But since I was obviously well read on the subject and was going to want to see whatever that lets you see she left it on for me. ... I'll figure it out eventually.

Next we worked on the masks. No Airfit P10's. Not carried. When asked why she couldn't give a good reason and rambled on about how little storage space they have and the need to keep replacement cushions which come in 3 sizes (you know) in stock. We went on the the Piliaro Q which they did stock & I really liked. Then the chink strap. Then I asked for the software to go with the machine, stating that I knew insurance wouldn't cover it, but I was willing to pay for it. I got another one of those blank looks. "There is no software for this machine," I was told. "Of course there is," I replied getting out my iPad and pulling up an internet page with the machine and all the specs for it. So she's still researching that one.

Lots of paperwork later and I'm finally on my way at 11:00.

What she taught me though, she did well & I was able to assemble my machine last night, get the headgear on & have everything function perfectly. She had be practicing each step while we were setting things up and I greatly appreciate that. Then I read for about 20 minutes to get used to breathing with the machine, turned the lights out and was asleep very shortly thereafter. (about 12:20 am). I slept for 2 hours, got up to use the bathroom forgetting that I only had to unhook the hose. Managed in the dark to put the headgear back on and then spent about an hour getting back to sleep. But I did. And slept until 6:30 this morning with only short arousals to reposition the mask & check the time to see if I'd made it to 4 hours yet. After reaching that mark I seemed to relax better and just slept the last 2 hours. I don't remember waking anyway.

I got up then, let my parent's dog out (visiting for Mother's Day) and fed her. Then read the machine's manuals, cleaned the mask, and figured out we messed up the reporting settings yesterday, came here and found the information, reset the controls, read the screen report, looked up the information on the HPA Lanolin I wanted to try tonight and then realized I'd gotten this all done before 8:00 AM!!!! It was amazing.

I'm tired now, but overall I've had a pretty good day. I'm actually looking forward to going to sleep tonight. I'm praying that it will be another good one.

Sorry, I realize this is long, but I'm so glad to finally be a "hosehead" that I wanted to share it with you all.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A Comedy of Errors ... or How I got my AutoSet
It sounds like you had a good first night, considering what you went through to get your machine. I'm glad it worked out for you.

(05-10-2014, 04:16 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Then I asked for the software to go with the machine, stating that I knew insurance wouldn't cover it, but I was willing to pay for it. I got another one of those blank looks. "There is no software for this machine," I was told. "Of course there is," I replied getting out my iPad and pulling up an internet page with the machine and all the specs for it. So she's still researching that one.

The software is free; you have your choice of ResScan or Sleepyhead. For more information, go to http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...r-computer
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow Sleepy, what a great report. GOOD JOB advocating for your own self. So many of us pull up timid when we get to the point of picking up a machine, or anything else in life for that matter, that we end up settling for 2nd or 3rd best. You did not do that. You are an inspiration to all of mankind..... Well, to me anyhow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:The software is free; you have your choice of ResScan or Sleepyhead. For more information

Which program is easier to use? Assume no understanding of computers. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
They're both easy enough, but I think Sleepyhead is a little friendlier. Plus you can share the results in a printout with the DME's and Docs without getting a lecture about how you aren't supposed to be using Resmed's techie only software.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyDreamCatcher,
CONGRATULATIONS!
Good jobgetting the S9 AutoSet.
I think most people prefer SleepyHead for their data-management software because it's a little easier to use.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Great job Standing up to the DME ! Sounds like another informed hosehead. You went in and had all the right questions and answers to be the customer. CongratsWell-doneBanana

Post Reply Post Reply
Good on you Sleepy. I wish I was so brave. You must have left the woman feeling quite stunned and thinking I'm glad all our customers are not as knowledgable as that one.
Your first night sounds great, keep up the good work.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you did everything the correct way. However, I have to ask, was this statement a Freudian-slip? Whistle

(05-10-2014, 04:16 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Then the chink strap.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2014, 08:09 PM)Gabby Wrote: Good on you Sleepy. I wish I was so brave. You must have left the woman feeling quite stunned and thinking I'm glad all our customers are not as knowledgable as that one.
Your first night sounds great, keep up the good work.

Not brave Gabby...just sleep deprived and desperate. And thanks to all of you educated. I have been lurking around here and one other board for at least a month now. And I learned a lot. I know all that reading helped me to mentally prepare myself to start using my PAP machine, making last night easier for me. And having watched my father have 100% compliance with his "brick" of a CPAP for the past 20 (30?) years and seeing what a positive difference it has made for him made it easier to accept that I would be using some type of machine mysef. But I'm from a different generation and working within a healthcare profession. I want more knowledge and input into what goes on in my body.

If she had been a little more knowledgable about the machines I'm not sure what I would have done. Hopefully I would not have accepted anything as a final sale and asked for something as a loaner/trial item until I could talk more with the sleep doctor ... I hope I would have. I think it's really sad if I'm the first client she has had that came in knowing anything about the XPAP machines and questioned of the choices that had been made for them. That could be a reason so many fail with their therapy.

But I decided weeks ago that this is going to work... And I'll continue working at it until it does. No matter how many masks, adaptations and/or setting changes it takes. I have a lot of life yet to live and I mean to be healthy so that I can enjoy every moment of it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 102 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 187 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,439 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,891 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 776 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,261 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564
  Airsense Autoset 11 eroemer 3 728 10-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: eroemer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.