Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Comedy of Errors ... or How I got my AutoSet
RE: A Comedy of Errors ... or How I got my AutoSet
(05-10-2014, 08:52 PM)PollCat Wrote: Sounds like you did everything the correct way. However, I have to ask, was this statement a Freudian-slip? Whistle

(05-10-2014, 04:16 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Then the chink strap.

Dielaughing No, just my poor sleep deprived typing skills. I'll go back and fix that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I don't see an edit option. Is there not some way to edit your own posts?

Okay I see the edit button on this post, but not my original post. I guess my terrible typing will have to stand as is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2014, 10:00 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Okay I see the edit button on this post, but not my original post. I guess my terrible typing will have to stand as is.

Like most forum software, there's a time limit during which you can edit your post. Not sure what that is exactly - it's longer the higher you go in membership groups... for your current group I think it's something like 20 minutes perhaps... Go past that time and it's forever written in cyber-stone. Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2014, 09:47 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote:
(05-10-2014, 08:09 PM)Gabby Wrote: Good on you Sleepy. I wish I was so brave. You must have left the woman feeling quite stunned and thinking I'm glad all our customers are not as knowledgable as that one.
Your first night sounds great, keep up the good work.

Not brave Gabby...just sleep deprived and desperate. And thanks to all of you educated. I have been lurking around here and one other board for at least a month now. And I learned a lot. I know all that reading helped me to mentally prepare myself to start using my PAP machine, making last night easier for me. And having watched my father have 100% compliance with his "brick" of a CPAP for the past 20 (30?) years and seeing what a positive difference it has made for him made it easier to accept that I would be using some type of machine mysef. But I'm from a different generation and working within a healthcare profession. I want more knowledge and input into what goes on in my body.

If she had been a little more knowledgable about the machines I'm not sure what I would have done. Hopefully I would not have accepted anything as a final sale and asked for something as a loaner/trial item until I could talk more with the sleep doctor ... I hope I would have. I think it's really sad if I'm the first client she has had that came in knowing anything about the XPAP machines and questioned of the choices that had been made for them. That could be a reason so many fail with their therapy.

But I decided weeks ago that this is going to work... And I'll continue working at it until it does. No matter how many masks, adaptations and/or setting changes it takes. I have a lot of life yet to live and I mean to be healthy so that I can enjoy every moment of it.

Well done Sleepy, I am so proud of everything you have done and written above.
You have taken the bull by the horns and come out on top.
You have realised this is the next step in your life's journey and you are going to make it be the best possible journey you can, my hat comes off to you.

I had a disappointing experience last week. I have been renting a ResMed Elite machine for three months, part of a Government plan to show compliance and then they would give me a machine because I met their full criteria.
I found the Elite set at 6 quite ok and was getting excellent AHI results and leak results. Since I have had it I have used SleepyHead to check a few times a week my stats, which has been so very helpful, otherwise I would not have had a clue what I was doing.
I believed the Government was giving me another Elite machine. How wrong was I.
They gave me an Escape!
While it does the job, I am unable to see my AHI'S and leaks. They don't want to see me for a year. How will they know how I have been going?
I am so disappointed. I know I should not look a gift horse in the mouth and I am very appreciative but I cannot understand for the life of me why they would give patients machines that don't record their data. How useless.
Anyway, I will now save and buy a better machine.
Sorry but I just had to vent and get that off my chest.
I was so happy to read your story but in my case there was nothing I could do because that is the only machine they were giving out.
I hate not being able to read my stats. I feel as if I am batting blind.

Anyway after my rant all the very best to you dear girl, keep up the great work, you will go far.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations SleepyDreamCatcher especially on getting the right machine!!!

Gabby: After a false start I went into my DME and wanted the AutoSet and not only was he an arrogant prick whose office I will never go to again, he actually wrote right on the prescription NOT to give me an auto set unless I wished to pay extra out of my pocket. He was really hostile and just kept saying over and over that the machines were all equal to one another and although I nicely argued with him, it was apparent I was not getting anywhere with him and if anyone can stand up for herself, it is me........some DMEs are just awful. Next time I will interview them first and only then when I find someone that will give me one will he become my doctor.
And unfortunately some health plans just won't pay for them, at lest here in Canada but from all I have read, they have a much easier time getting the Auto Set in the United States than we do here. Perhaps it is the same in Australia. ;-(

Actually I should mention my brother in law has a good health plan here in Canada and even in his case, he still had to pay extra for the Escape!!! Like you I to believe I will have to buy one outright.

So the Elite also records data and u can use software with it?
I thought only the AutoSet did that?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2014, 12:05 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Congratulations SleepyDreamCatcher especially on getting the right machine!!!

Gabby: After a false start I went into my DME and wanted the AutoSet and not only was he an arrogant prick whose office I will never go to again, he actually wrote right on the prescription NOT to give me an auto set unless I wished to pay extra out of my pocket. He was really hostile and just kept saying over and over that the machines were all equal to one another and although I nicely argued with him, it was apparent I was not getting anywhere with him and if anyone can stand up for herself, it is me........some DMEs are just awful. Next time I will interview them first and only then when I find someone that will give me one will he become my doctor.
And unfortunately some health plans just won't pay for them, at lest here in Canada but from all I have read, they have a much easier time getting the Auto Set in the United States than we do here. Perhaps it is the same in Australia. ;-(

Actually I should mention my brother in law has a good health plan here in Canada and even in his case, he still had to pay extra for the Escape!!! Like you I to believe I will have to buy one outright.

So the Elite also records data and u can use software with it?
I thought only the AutoSet did that?

Hi Shelagh,
Yes the Elite records data and you can see everything on the SleepyHead programme.
It is just a straight CPAP machine and not an auto one. I was disappointed in that at first but then what you never know you don't miss and I found my straight setting of 6 suited me fine and I have had excellent results with that.
That is why I will probably be happy to buy the Elite as it does the job for me and is half the price of the Autoset.
I know many people on here would not agree with the buying of an Elite but as I said it suited me fine.
I am so sorry you had to meet such an ignorant man and get landed with this Escape. Even though it supposedly does the job, how do we know it is doing the job? Have you been back for a checkup since you started using it? How do they know if it is working or not?
I just don't get the point of the machine.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
So... I keep seeing people say the Elite is a straight CPAP, but my Elite has an auto setting. Is that something particular to the model I have?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2014, 03:55 AM)CKJ411 Wrote: So... I keep seeing people say the Elite is a straight CPAP, but my Elite has an auto setting. Is that something particular to the model I have?

Welcome to the forum CKJ411, as far as I know the Elite is not an Autoset.
What do you mean by it has an Auto setting?
I think we are talking about different things to what you mean by the Auto and as in the S9 Autoset.
I know someone else with far more knowledge than me will be able to describe the difference in the two machines.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2014, 03:55 AM)CKJ411 Wrote: So... I keep seeing people say the Elite is a straight CPAP, but my Elite has an auto setting. Is that something particular to the model I have?

That maybe a auto on setting or something not a auto pressure adjust that an autoset machine would do?
Post Reply Post Reply

The Elite has an auto on/off setting that turn itself on when you start breathing through your mask. Then it turn itself of when you take the mask off. Both the Elite and AutoSet machines have this function. I don't know about the Escape.

AutoSet means that the machine can automatically respond with increased air pressure when it is needed to keep your airway open within preset limits.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,860 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 755 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,237 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564
  Airsense Autoset 11 eroemer 3 706 10-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: eroemer
  Autoset 10 repair? Nightynite 8 1,127 06-22-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: cpapuserzzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.