Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Comedy of Errors ... or How I got my AutoSet
RE: A Comedy of Errors ... or How I got my AutoSet
(05-15-2014, 08:00 PM)SleepWrangler Wrote: The backup provided me with a duplicate of virtually every component in case of failure, and to have a machine at home and the cottage without having to move equipment back and forth.

I didn't meet the ADP criteria for APAP but the cost difference for a second hand AutoSet meant that for a few bucks more I could have the more capable machine. I now own an Elite and an AutoSet.

Any Cpap machine is "capable" of treating OSA effectively. Especially if you have a good sleep doctor and have done the necessary titration tests, so not one machine is more "capable" just some have more features.

All s9's come with a 5 year warranty, so having one for back up parts seems like a waste of money.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2014, 06:00 AM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: so not one machine is more "capable" just some have more features.

Pretty sure that those "features" make some machines more "capable" than others. I doubt the huge number of OSA patients with auto-CPAP machines would be using them simply because they have "more features" that have no connection whatsoever to the added "capability" or effectiveness of treatment. APAPs are sought out by patients for their increased effectiveness of treatment over single-pressure CPAP for most OSA patients, not just for some added "bells & whistles".

Just sayin'... Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2014, 08:37 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(05-16-2014, 06:00 AM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: so not one machine is more "capable" just some have more features.

Pretty sure that those "features" make some machines more "capable" than others. I doubt the huge number of OSA patients with auto-CPAP machines would be using them simply because they have "more features" that have no connection whatsoever to the added "capability" or effectiveness of treatment. APAPs are sought out by patients for their increased effectiveness of treatment over single-pressure CPAP for most OSA patients, not just for some added "bells & whistles".

Just sayin'... Whistle

If your AHI is under 5 no matter what machine is used, it's capable.

If you are comfortable with constant pressure with a low AHI, there is an argument to be made that it's "better" because it's proactive and just not reacting to events that have already happened.

Yes, we should all try and get Autosets and remstar autos because it's the best deal with the most features. But having people think they are not getting treated properly if they don't have one is misleading.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2014, 08:37 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: not just for some added "bells & whistles".

Just sayin'... Whistle

I actually prefer my apap *without* bells and whistles... the whistling noise the hose makes is bad enough! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2014, 06:00 AM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:
(05-15-2014, 08:00 PM)SleepWrangler Wrote: The backup provided me with a duplicate of virtually every component in case of failure, and to have a machine at home and the cottage without having to move equipment back and forth.

I didn't meet the ADP criteria for APAP but the cost difference for a second hand AutoSet meant that for a few bucks more I could have the more capable machine. I now own an Elite and an AutoSet.

Any Cpap machine is "capable" of treating OSA effectively. Especially if you have a good sleep doctor and have done the necessary titration tests, so not one machine is more "capable" just some have more features.

All s9's come with a 5 year warranty, so having one for back up parts seems like a waste of money.

The machines have different capabilities and some are more capable than others. A single pressure machine does not cure all sleep apnea nor does it get everyone to an AHI of 5 or less. There are people on this forum that can attest to this.

There are a fair number of people on this forum that have Auto CPAP and like them and are not afraid to say so. I do not see a lot of preaching that everyone must get one. I do see a lot of preaching that everyone should get a data capable machine. This is not a bell or a whistle. It is information that you or your doctor may need to aid in your therapy. While it is true that one can get multiple sleep tests that have even more data, they all end up costing you either in the short term or the long run. In addition, sleep tests are inconvenient and sometimes inaccurate due to abnormal sleeping conditions.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2014, 11:02 AM)PaytonA Wrote: The machines have different capabilities and some are more capable than others.

So you think a car with automatic transmission is more "capable" than a car with manual transmission?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2014, 11:32 AM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:
(05-16-2014, 11:02 AM)PaytonA Wrote: The machines have different capabilities and some are more capable than others.

So you think a car with automatic transmission is more "capable" than a car with manual transmission?
I think you're just looking to pick a fight.
Post Reply Post Reply

(05-16-2014, 11:32 AM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:

A car with an automatic transmission is capable of changing gears without human intervention. A car with a manual transmission is not capable of changing gears without human intervention. Ergo, the car with the automatic transmission IS more capable than the car with the manual transmission.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a reminder: Keep the discussion civil. Say what you want about the opinion but leave each others' parentage out of it.

Don't make me get out The Hammer.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula,

Take the Hammer somewhere else. Too-funny I am not going to discuss lineage-just facts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 110 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,862 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 755 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,237 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564
  Airsense Autoset 11 eroemer 3 707 10-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: eroemer
  Autoset 10 repair? Nightynite 8 1,127 06-22-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: cpapuserzzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.