A Cure for O.S.A.
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: A Cure for O.S.A.
(04-10-2012 01:25 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote:  I take it someone has been playing with code? either that or Paula got fed up of my "Big Pictures" Too-funny Bigwink Cool

Yep, see the post in the Master Members forum - we added a thingie to re-size large posts so they don't go off the edge of the screen. You can still see them in full size by clicking on the yellow bar.

Big Grin

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-10-2012 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

(04-10-2012 01:22 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  That caulk board reminds me of calculus classes... not a good memory at all... Confused

Funny; that chalk board reminds me of why I changed my college major from math to accounting! Ohwell

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-10-2012 01:46 PM
oldteddybear Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed Elite S9
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo (for now)
Humidifier: S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hosehead since Jan 2012

2+2=3 for small values of 2
2+2=4 for regular values of 2
2+2=5 for large values of 2

As for me I have a 21" neck, wear a 8 1/8 hat, and if I had normal ratio leg length (short because of a childhood accident) I would be almost 8 ft tall. I have been a loud snorer all of my life and can snore in all sleeping positions. Need to lose some weight (well a lot of weight) but would be in low bmi if I was in the normal ratio body that BMI assumes.

For all of the bad indications the other info points the other way.

In a chloresterol test my Doctor stated that I was off the very low end of the chart but good, Blood pressure good, blood sugar good.
04-10-2012 03:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dreamcatcher Offline

Members-b

Machine: Resmed Autoset Spirit II with Quattro F/F & FX Masks
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H4i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

So why do doctors and other continue to mumble on about weight loss. I know the truth as Ive done it, went to the gym worked out lost weight, did it make a difference NO!

I just wished that people would stop mixing weight with OSA. I know that weight gain will have an effect on my sleep apnea but it will also have an effect on my computer chair. What I want to know is, one day I was fine, the next, sleep apnea. Why? Is it genetics, is it that something went wrong in my neck overnight? An answer is not too much to ask, is it?
04-10-2012 04:32 PM
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

(04-10-2012 04:32 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote:  So why do doctors and other continue to mumble on about weight loss. I know the truth as Ive done it, went to the gym worked out lost weight, did it make a difference NO!

I just wished that people would stop mixing weight with OSA. I know that weight gain will have an effect on my sleep apnea but it will also have an effect on my computer chair. What I want to know is, one day I was fine, the next, sleep apnea. Why? Is it genetics, is it that something went wrong in my neck overnight? An answer is not too much to ask, is it?
weight loss is always good for any number of reasons and is probably mentioned to alot of people by doctors. to tell the truth i hear more about snoring than weight in connection with apnea.

read my posts again. i explained it. one day you feel like you're tired and tell the doctor. he diagnoses sleep apnea. that's not when you "got" sleep apnea. you always had the physical condition that got worse as your body aged and could no longer compensate. it's the same as bifocals. your eyes don't suddenly go bad. they were always like that pretty much but compensated until they could no longer do it and you got headaches. of course i'm speaking of the average person.

once again, these are questions for the doctor. he knows your medical history and condition.
04-10-2012 05:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cbramsey Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

I know for me losing 120 lbs did NOT cure my sleep apnea. I was hoping it would have. *Sigh*

I had bad genetics on my side because my father snored like a freight train. He was never officially diagnosed with OSA so I can only suppose.

Okay

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-10-2012 08:02 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

There's a correlation between obesity and OSA. Doesn't mean that being obese caused you to have OSA, or that being skinny prevented you from having OSA.

What I've heard is that if gaining weight caused your OSA, then losing weight can relieve your OSA. Regardless, if you have OSA you need to be on CPAP therapy. If you think that losing weight will relieve your OSA, then CPAP therapy will help you lose that weight.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

04-16-2012 06:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Our bodies have a preset concept of "normal". Some people can eat an entire box of ice cream and not gain a pound. Some of us gain 5lb just looking at the box.

That concept of "normal" can be reset but it takes a while. The longer we are overweight, the longer it takes to lose it and keep it off. Then, the longer we keep our weight down, our bodies may start to slowly accept that as normal. That can take time. Years. This is why losing weight slowly is best. It's why we hit weight loss plateaus. It's why some people are always going to be overweight.

The same works with anti-depressants and other medication. It is why we have to switch meds every few years. Our body/brain is fighting like mad to get back to "normal" and the meds become less and less effective.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

04-16-2012 07:18 PM
andrel Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed S9
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 8-14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I am under CPAP treatment since 2000. 3 years ago, I've lost 125 pounds (going from 315 to 190) and I still needed my CPAP. I've tried to sleep without it for 4 nights in a row, and while I slept quite well on the first night, the second was not so good, and things went worse and worse for the third ans fourth night. After a calibration test at the hospital, they reajusted my pressure from 12 to 8 though, so it is better. Not gone, but better. (I've gained back some wight since then and had to reajust to a pressure of 10)

Weight is an aggravating factor, but not the only cause.

André
p.s.: Sorry for my english - I' french-speaking ...
04-16-2012 07:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cure OSA Weith Weight Loss? GingerMan512 5 417 08-10-2016 10:31 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  I pressure/E pressure - cause/cure - on CAs Rcgop 1 529 06-17-2016 08:47 PM
Last Post: richb
  New Cure for Sleep Apnea? bwexler 23 5,801 04-26-2016 07:55 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Do throat exercises cure sleep apnea? Sleepless Nights 34 10,855 12-30-2014 01:07 AM
Last Post: Blaifarm
  Dream Cure For Snorers? Jagman 4 1,643 11-25-2013 12:01 AM
Last Post: jgjones1972
  anyone have a permanent cure ataglieri 17 4,186 05-29-2013 10:37 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [News] Snoring cure that could improve the eyesight of diabetics Dreamcatcher 1 2,252 07-19-2012 06:27 AM
Last Post: Dooley