Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A-Fib
A-Fib
Had an A-fib episode after going to sleep for one hour last night, ended up at the emergency room. Sleepyhead says no events during that time. The other graphs look pretty normal.
I was hoping Cpap would fix my A-fib, but seems they can come out of nowhere for no apparent reason.
I have been under a lot of work stress lately, I guess Cpap can't fix that.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A-Fib
There is a coincidence between a-fib and sleep apnea; meaning it is often seen in people with sleep apnea condition.
As for cause and effect -- I cannot cite a source -- but it would make sense that untreated apnea would lead to cardiac changes that may cause a-fib.

I have heard, again no citation, that people who have a-fib and treat their sleep apnea improve; as for "fixing" a-fib, probably not.
Doesn't mean you should not treat the apnea; as there are worse conditions than a-fib.

Now, I'm not prescribing, but, Metoprolol Succinate, a beta blocker is often used to control a-fib.
In some people, a-fib cannot be controlled; and they are nearly always put on a blood thinner.

I assume you have a cardiologist; and have been through a battery of tests.
Usually seen are enlarged left chambers and some leakage at the mitral and trileaflet (aortic) valve.
The heart is an electrical system; and changes in the heart muscle disrupt the normal electrical wave from the sinus node.
In a-fib, the upper chambers fire without a signal from the sinus node.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2016, 03:38 PM)justMongo Wrote: There is a coincidence between a-fib and sleep apnea; meaning it is often seen in people with sleep apnea condition.
As for cause and effect -- I cannot cite a source -- but it would make sense that untreated apnea would lead to cardiac changes that may cause a-fib.

I have heard, again no citation, that people who have a-fib and treat their sleep apnea improve; as for "fixing" a-fib, probably not.
Doesn't mean you should not treat the apnea; as there are worse conditions than a-fib.

Now, I'm not prescribing, but, Metoprolol Succinate, a beta blocker is often used to control a-fib.
In some people, a-fib cannot be controlled; and they are nearly always put on a blood thinner.

I assume you have a cardiologist; and have been through a battery of tests.
Usually seen are enlarged left chambers and some leakage at the mitral and trileaflet (aortic) valve.
The heart is an electrical system; and changes in the heart muscle disrupt the normal electrical wave from the sinus node.
In a-fib, the upper chambers fire without a signal from the sinus node.
Cardiologist says pretty much the same as you. She says she recommends all her A-fib patients get a sleep study done. She says 90% of them have sleep apnea, and she says a lot of those once on Cpap have way less episodes.
So far I seem to have just one a year, My dr. doesn't want me on blood thinners if we can avoid it.
They give me a shot of Cardizum (don't know how to spell) and that has fixed me up in 5 minutes everytime. Last night was my 7th in 6 years.
Once I fully adjust to the Cpap, I think they will get farther apart.

Post Reply Post Reply
Cardizem. A calcium channel blocker.

Doctors have gotten reluctant to prescribe blood thinners because a small injury can become a big problem because of bleeding.

Stay with the CPAP. best wishes.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a fib. Had a botched ablation to try to fix it. Botched as in having my heart punctured from the inside out. Needless to say no fix there.
Cpap stopped mine and it was way more often than yours.
They had me on beta blockers, then anti arrythimics . Helped some till beta pace backfired and about killed me.

As i said cpap stopped it though they did give me s full strength aspirin a day.
But my ahi has to stay at 1.5 or below.
Over that for a couple nights the ticker starts pvcs etc.
I just never let my ahi go higher than that
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with a fib and apnea in the same doctors visit.
I have only felt a very few a fib incidents, but a Holter monitor tells me they are almost constant.
After 5.5 years my AHI is usually below 2 and often below 1. I do take Warfarin and monitor my INR with a home test meter as well as Metoprolol. I hate taking prescriptions but love living, so I compromise.
I am aware that a fib and apnea seem to go hand in hand but have not heard of a cure for either one yet.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.