Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A-Flex-- advantages?
A-Flex-- advantages?
Positives and negatives regarding A-Flex....

I know that using it creates a 'resistance' to the exhale cycle...

I have completely turned it off, as I wanted the ability to exhale to be as easy as possible.

What is the clinical advantage, to possibly turning it back on?

Thanks much!

FLc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A-Flex
(just typing out loud)

x-Flex is designed as PR's exhale relief. Using it is supposed to make exhaling easier. However, some users find it difficult and feel the machine is forcing them to breathe in a rhythm. Others don't notice it at all. From a clinical standpoint, if your AHI has not increased and if you are feeling rested, then don't turn it back on. But if your numbers have increased or if you aren't getting good sleep, then consider turning it back on, but perhaps starting out low.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Its called a comfort feature, godsend for some and useless for others ... everyone is different

EPR is ResMed equivalent which is more truer pressure relief than Respironcis Flex

Feel more natural for me without it, yet ResMed claim the opposite in their glossy brochures

Edit: excuse me of going off topic for a moment but I'm curious to know the meaning of: just typing out loud
Paula ... please, can you enlighten me in few simple words ... thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2014, 03:32 PM)zonk Wrote: Its called a comfort feature, godsend for some and useless for others ... everyone is different

It's mainly for comfort, but EPR/Flex/exhale relief does affect some people's AHI numbers. Sometimes it makes it worse, sometimes it makes it better.

It's like finding the right shoe, you've just got try it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2014, 04:02 PM)archangle Wrote:
(11-26-2014, 03:32 PM)zonk Wrote: Its called a comfort feature, godsend for some and useless for others ... everyone is different

It's mainly for comfort, but EPR/Flex/exhale relief does affect some people's AHI numbers. Sometimes it makes it worse, sometimes it makes it better.

It's like finding the right shoe, you've just got try it.

Just speaking for myself I only have 3 days of data, but my first day was a 2 on the Ahi numbers, I had changed my EPR setting which was on auto 2 and I would wake during the night when my pressures were higher with that suffocating feeling when exhaling, so I changed the setting to auto 3 and it felt better now, mind you it's only been two night's now and my ahi numbers were 1.2 on the next night and 1.5 last night, but I feel better than before.

Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2014, 07:00 AM)FLcracker Wrote: Positives and negatives regarding A-Flex....

I know that using it creates a 'resistance' to the exhale cycle...

I have completely turned it off, as I wanted the ability to exhale to be as easy as possible.

What is the clinical advantage, to possibly turning it back on?

Thanks much!

FLc

Bro it doesnt create a " resistance" to the exhale cycle but a pressure relief to exhale by dropping the pressure when you exhale. Removing resistance to exhalation to a degree depending on what you set it on.

If you dont like Aflex you can also run auto mode with Cflex which is a different feel.
Aflex will drop pressure on exhale and also at the very last part of inhalation. Idea is to smooth the transition from pressure relief to full pressure coming back on
Cflex will drop pressure on exhale but as soon as exhalation stops Cflex will go back to full pressure and stay there until the next exhalation.

Ive run both ways. There is a pronounced difference in the two modes but personally I can run either and it doesnt bother me though one may be better for you than the other. Or no flex may feel better to you.

The machine you have can be run on auto mode either way.

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, I meant to erase that part. I thought I was going to be thinking it through but didn't have to.

Ghost: Actually, you have it only partially right.

I can never remember which one does which but ResMed and Phillips-Respironics do it differently. One senses the end of the inhale and drops the pressure for the exhale. The other senses the beginning of the exhale, and drops the pressure. There's a difference. Subtle, but it is there. The raising for the inhale works in the same way.

And while EPR and x-Flex may be considered "just a comfort feature", some people have experienced a change in their AHI with these off and do better with them on.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2014, 08:56 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Zonk, I meant to erase that part. I thought I was going to be thinking it through but didn't have to.

Ghost: Actually, you have it only partially right.

I can never remember which one does which but ResMed and Phillips-Respironics do it differently. One senses the end of the inhale and drops the pressure for the exhale. The other senses the beginning of the exhale, and drops the pressure. There's a difference. Subtle, but it is there. The raising for the inhale works in the same way.

And while EPR and x-Flex may be considered "just a comfort feature", some people have experienced a change in their AHI with these off and do better with them on.

Its the PRS1 that FlaCracker has. Same as my machine.

That is what I was trying to say LOL. Aflex senses the end of the inhale and drops pressure keeping if dropped to the end of the exhale, brings it back up at the begining of the next inhale and drops it again just before the inhale is over.

Cflex only senses the beginning of exhale drops the pressure puts it back on at the end of or very near the end of exhale and keeps it constant until it senses the next exhale.
Clear as mud right LOL? Both do it differently but its a subtle difference. Aflex if you run low pressures and tend to feel smothered seems to make the smothered feeling worse or it did my wife though she runs aflex now.

Cflex is a bit rougher but there is no pressure drop at the top of inhale as there is with Aflex.

All in what one likes the best. I dont think it would make a huge difference in Ahi numbers for most folks either way. The PRS1 auto can be run in either Cflex mode or Aflex while still in auto mode.

Never was on a Resmed machine so dont know how it works but thats not what FlaCracker has. Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2014, 07:00 AM)FLcracker Wrote: I have completely turned it off, as I wanted the ability to exhale to be as easy as possible.

To make exhaling as easy as possible you would do the opposite. Turn A-Flex all the way up. The maximum setting is 3.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it all sorted out...just the info I needed...

When she (Mizz Cracker) first started using the newer PS1-Auto, the numbers were really bad...AHI's in the high 20's, even one night in the 40's, really woke me up to just how bad she was/is afflicted with OSA. Making some adjustments as we go, she finally started achieving numbers in the the 7's, and 8's, then finally in the 5 range. When she hit 3.30 a couple nights back, her ol' man was doing the happy dance!

Her snore line is still somewhat active, so I have ramped up the final, over time, to where it's at right now at 15.5... She still has the snore problem, but less so.... I'm reluctant to add more pressure yet...and as such was wondering if the flex feature could help to keep the numbers in the 3 or less range, without adding more final pressure...

So anyway... hope all of you fine folks have a great THANKSGIVING holiday. Mine is very special in the fact that WE (you and I) are actually helping someone I love very much to get well, and I can't express enough just how much you're all appreciated.

Best to All,

FLc
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advantages of ASV stevew77 6 739 09-30-2023, 08:05 AM
Last Post: stevew77
  (Dreamstation) Flex algorithm is out of sync with my breathing skim 12 2,875 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex aavenger 6 1,319 11-12-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 822 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Equipment] Help solving power issue (REMstar Auto A-Flex cycling off/on during use)) RhythmMachine 2 855 07-13-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: RhythmMachine
  Noise from Remstar Auto A-flex Greg Schultz 2 828 05-15-2021, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Greg Schultz
  Respironics remstar Pro c-flex system one card won't download staduimjunkie 7 2,338 01-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: sheepless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.