Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A-Flex causing major problems on DreamStation?
A-Flex causing major problems on DreamStation?
When I sleep with the Flex setting on level "3" (the highest), I see my AHI chart in SleepyHead go to over 20 along with several "Periodic Breathing" moments, CA's, OA's, H's, etc.  When I decreased it to level "1," the AHI chart massively improves down to 2 during that period with practically no PB, no CA's, almost no OA's, etc.

Why would Flex be causing PB, CA, OA, etc?

If this feature is so damaging, why is it even allowed?  Why did Philips Respironics develop this if it's so hurtful to your breathing during sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A-Flex causing major problems on DreamStation?
First, if setting your Flex at 3 causes more events, don't do that!
Some of us are more sensitive to pressure changes between inhale and exhale than others. A-Flex is just absolutely awful for me and while I don't get the event rates you experienced, it is still notably worse at 3 than at 1. It's hard enough to figure out what AFlex even is, let alone why it causes events, but take my word for it, you're not alone.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the second thread you have started on this issue. I responded in the first thread that I think you are mistaken in thinking you changed the Flex setting during the night. The pressure chart shows no difference between the red and green traces. This indicates to me there has been no change to the Flex setting. You may be barking up the wrong tree. 

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...oot-way-up
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason you won’t see a difference between the red and green line with AFlex is that AFlex can only provide up to 2cm pressure relief regardless of which setting you use.  

Flex is not the same as ResMed’s EPR.

You can receive up to 2cm pressure relief, which is flow based.
• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.

The problem with using Flex is that it is flow based. You pretty much have to try the different settings to see how it feels. I have tried A-Flex 3 and felt as if my breath was being rushed. It felt unnatural.
A-Flex 1 feels natural to me. None of the settings make a difference in my AHI.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 08:50 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The reason you won’t see a difference between the red and green line with AFlex is that AFlex can only provide up to 2cm pressure relief regardless of which setting you use. 

Interesting. I guess SleepyHead only displays the data that the Dreamstation is providing, and Dreamstation engineers can kind of make that what they want it to be. I wonder if it still shows a separate green and red trace if you turn A-Flex right off?

And if it is really only changing the shape of the exhale curve slightly, rather than actually reducing the peak pressure, then yes it is unlikely to make much if any difference in AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 07:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: First, if setting your Flex at 3 causes more events, don't do that!
Some of us are more sensitive to pressure changes between inhale and exhale than others.  A-Flex is just absolutely awful for me and while I don't get the event rates you experienced, it is still notably worse at 3 than at 1.  It's hard enough to figure out what AFlex even is, let alone why it causes events, but take my word for it, you're not alone.

Thanks Sleeprider!  Something is up with this feature!

I have found random other posts across the internet of A-flex being harmful to sleep quality and their AHI as well. But I have yet to find a cohesive thread that addresses this.

It seems like Philips Respironics needs to investigate and possibly discontinue this feature.

I’d rather have the same pressure for inhale and exhale rather than have my AHI all messed up with CA events.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 09:04 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 08:50 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The reason you won’t see a difference between the red and green line with AFlex is that AFlex can only provide up to 2cm pressure relief regardless of which setting you use. 

Interesting. I guess SleepyHead only displays the data that the Dreamstation is providing, and Dreamstation engineers can kind of make that what they want it to be. I wonder if it still shows a separate green and red trace if you turn A-Flex right off?

And if it is really only changing the shape of the exhale curve slightly, rather than actually reducing the peak pressure, then yes it is unlikely to make much if any difference in AHI.

Ron AKA,
If I turn my Flex setting to Off/None, SleepyHead only shows the red line on the graphs. I don't have a DreamStation, but its predecessor, but I believe they are set up pretty much the same.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 11:28 PM)dk2011 Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 07:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: First, if setting your Flex at 3 causes more events, don't do that!
Some of us are more sensitive to pressure changes between inhale and exhale than others.  A-Flex is just absolutely awful for me and while I don't get the event rates you experienced, it is still notably worse at 3 than at 1.  It's hard enough to figure out what AFlex even is, let alone why it causes events, but take my word for it, you're not alone.

Thanks Sleeprider!  Something is up with this feature!

I have found random other posts across the internet of A-flex being harmful to sleep quality and their AHI as well. But I have yet to find a cohesive thread that addresses this.

It seems like Philips Respironics needs to investigate and possibly discontinue this feature.

I’d rather have the same pressure for inhale and exhale rather than have my AHI all messed up with CA events.

I only use C-Flex, if at all, basically to make it easier to exhale against whatever pressure is coming in. When using a C-Flex setting of 3, I basically have to increase my minimum pressure setting by at least 0.5 cmH2O to help provide pressure support and keep my AHI from going up.

I tend to off the Flex though.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I was experimenting with the flex option this week. First image is with flex on, second is with flex off.  I didn't like it without the slight exhale relief.  Notice that with flex off the leak rate increased to basically all of the time as opposed to when I move or snore or whatever.
(I use P10 nasal pillows)

[attachment=5140]

[attachment=5142]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2018, 05:05 PM)EddieR Wrote: I was experimenting with the flex option this week. First image is with flex on, second is with flex off.  I didn't like it without the slight exhale relief.  Notice that with flex off the leak rate increased to basically all of the time as opposed to when I move or snore or whatever.
(I use P10 nasal pillows)

Thanks for this info.  I was getting some leaking last night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 262 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 422 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,762 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.